No announcement yet.

Recent Move- purchasing a firearm

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recent Move- purchasing a firearm

    We recently moved from one Kansas address to another- (a week ago). Haven't gotten a drivers license with the corrected address on it. Can I legally purchase a firearm from a shop with, say a utility bill with my name and new address on it for identification? Or is there another option available until I get my license changed?

    Thank You

  • #2
    Yes, you can go to the KS dept of revenue and change your address,and print a form.
    Last edited by Not so big Tom; 09-10-2018, 01:50.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

    QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]


    • #3
      From what I just found on the ATF website, you need a valid, government issued ID with name, current address and your signature. See PDF link:
      If you go get an update, the DMV immediately issues a temporary, paper ID with this on it. It looks like a recept with a black and white of your mug on it and a digital copy of your signature. It doesn't say anything about having to be the laminated copy.

      In fact, I remember buying a house warming pistol locally with my temporary ID as soon as I bought my place here. I'd recommend that route.
      Last edited by fixxer; 09-10-2018, 01:56.
      For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
      And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
      And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
      And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
      -Lord Byron (=5 lines)


      • #4
        Your identification does not have to be all on one document. Don't forget you are required to update your CCH with the KSAG. You can get a new DL and the paper receipt has a photo.
        The new utility bill, water bills are usually government issue
        Don't forget to update your voter registration or you won't be able to vote in November.

        No. An identification document must contain the name, residence address, date of birth and photograph of the holder. A Social Security card does not, by itself, contain sufficient information to identify a firearms purchaser. However, a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government–issued documents which together establish all of the required information.

        [27 CFR 478.11 and 478.124(c)]
        The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.