Trail Gun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Gun?

Another site I hang out on, there has been some mention of trail guns. Just for fun, and to see if we can avoid bickering, let's discuss the subject.
    First, how would you describe, define, or explain 'trail gun' to someone who is ignorant on the subject?
    Second, what make, model, caliber handgun would you choose for the purpose; and why?
    Third, make, model, caliber rifle, and why?
    Fourth, same for shotgun?

I'd start, but it's time to start closing up at work. So let's do this, just for fun. Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

I suppose where the trail is would be important

In most parts of the lower 48 a10mm pistol of some type would suffice, my choice would be a Glock 20, outstanding reliability and enough rounds onboard for a pack of critters either the 2 legged or 4 legged variety

For places where the the animals are bigger, probably a 4 inch S&W 629

Rifles and shotguns I will leave to those with more knowledge
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

For the handgun, I'd say the 629, probably the Mountain Gun persuasion. Reliability and power in a small package.

For the rifle, I'd likely go with my Ruger GSR in 308. The 308 wil handle almost anything in this continent, and I like the GSR idea.

For the shotgun, a deer barrel pump in 12 bore. Like ricco, I'm not overly familiar with shotguns but I'd tend to stick with known name-brands, such as Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg, or others.
      Last edited by gerhard1; 09-07-2017, 10:41. Reason: ETA (in bold)
      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
      The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
        Another site I hang out on, there has been some mention of trail guns. Just for fun, and to see if we can avoid bickering, let's discuss the subject.
        First, how would you describe, define, or explain 'trail gun' to someone who is ignorant on the subject?
        Second, what make, model, caliber handgun would you choose for the purpose; and why?
        Third, make, model, caliber rifle, and why?
        Fourth, same for shotgun?

I'd start, but it's time to start closing up at work. So let's do this, just for fun. Ace2
        Ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for "inclusiveness" sake,,,,, since I am supposed to feel important enough to respond...............................

In the "lower 48", IMO 90% of "trails", places where you do not drive motorized conveyances under penalty of law, virtually any caliber, make, model of handgun will do, because your potential "predator" is either SMALL and 4-legged (coyotes) or 2-legged (and not a SEAL, or Jason, or John Wick).
        From my learnings on here, I have been teached ONLY the Modern Striker Fired High Capacity Handgun, chambered in The Holy 9mmP cartridge will be acceptable.

In the remaining 10% of "lower 48" trails, there is a distinct possibility to finding 2-3 Apex Predators that find Man to be Tasty, 1 big Kitty, 1 of 2 species of non-teddy Bear and a much larger Dog than the 'yote.
        A rifle is a relatively long-range precision tool, very seldom really truly at it's best in close-range attacks.
        The AR Fanboyz will dispute this, I will now commit heresy "use what you want".

For really dangerous opponents, nothing, but nothing, beats the sheer blunt brute force of a shotgun, 20-gauge or up, but you'd better learn how to use it, and how to hit a moving target with it, or it's just another useless Walking Stick.
        That does NOT mean just a bunch of Tactical Shotgun classes either.
        Either an autoloader or a pump. Feed an autoloader with the proper shells and their reliability is BORING. Put someone with a corn-shucker (pump) into a high-stress situation, THEY tend to screw up and short-stroke the gun, making the glorious pump UN-reliable.
        My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
        MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

To me it really depends on the season "non hunting season" Trail gun to me = a handgun, so I'd stick with my CCW which is a HK P2000 in 357SIG. On long hikes when I'm wearing a backpack with a waste belt I carry it in a HPG "Recon" kit bag (small chest rig). I don't sweat "animals' spent quite a bit of time bumming around WA and OR with mountain lions, saw tracks over top of my tracks, but never saw one. Also did a couple bear hunts in AK. I'd carry a trail gun for 2 legged knuckleheads.

For a rifle in the lower 48 I'd probably just carry a .22LR so I could plink at stuff our whack a squirrel. I'm not into carrying a rifle through the woods just for the sake of carrying a rifle. Maybe it's cause I got my fill of carrying around a rifle in the woods in the Army, but it just doesn't appeal to me. IF its deer season, then I'm in hunting mode with a centerfire and it's not a "trail gun". I know guys carry what they call "woods bumming rifles", but it's just not for me.

Shotgun, same rationale. I'll carry IF it's a hunting season, but I'm not going hiking with one for the sake of carrying one around.

Chuck
          homo homini lupus est

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post
            To me it really depends on the season "non hunting season" Trail gun to me = a handgun, so I'd stick with my CCW which is a HK P2000 in 357SIG. On long hikes when I'm wearing a backpack with a waste belt I carry it in a HPG "Recon" kit bag (small chest rig). I don't sweat "animals' spent quite a bit of time bumming around WA and OR with mountain lions, saw tracks over top of my tracks, but never saw one. Also did a couple bear hunts in AK. I'd carry a trail gun for 2 legged knuckleheads.

For a rifle in the lower 48 I'd probably just carry a .22LR so I could plink at stuff our whack a squirrel. I'm not into carrying a rifle through the woods just for the sake of carrying a rifle. Maybe it's cause I got my fill of carrying around a rifle in the woods in the Army, but it just doesn't appeal to me. IF its deer season, then I'm in hunting mode with a centerfire and it's not a "trail gun". I know guys carry what they call "woods bumming rifles", but it's just not for me.

Shotgun, same rationale. I'll carry IF it's a hunting season, but I'm not going hiking with one for the sake of carrying one around.

Chuck
            Does this mean that your belt is made of waste? Mine are made of fabric or leather.

Sorry; I'll go to my room. Or, since it s a good day for it, to my range.
            Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

Does this mean that your belt is made of waste? Mine are made of fabric or leather.

Sorry; I'll go to my room. Or, since it s a good day for it, to my range.
              Yup, not enough coffee...waist.....should be waist....
              Last edited by Chuck R.; 09-07-2017, 13:51.
              homo homini lupus est

Comment

Just got back fom my range. Did fairly well. Put about 200 rounds down range doing various drils. Shoot-while-moving and shooting from retention. The vast majority of it was un-sighted fire and I ruined the day of the poor pizza box.

Glad you're in a good humor.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
                  Just got back fom my range. Did fairly well. Put about 200 rounds down range doing various drils. Shoot-while-moving and shooting from retention. The vast majority of it was un-sighted fire and I ruined the day of the poor pizza box.

Glad you're in a good humor.
                  Good deal, sounds like fun.

A couple of us shot last night getting ready for the class on SAT/SUN. Mostly practicing draws from a plastic chair (simulated car) and playing chase the Dot or "Horse" engaging colored/numbered 2" circles on command of the other shooter. It's fun, stresses accuracy and a little bit of cognitive reasoning. We did the same on Sunday.

Chuck
                  homo homini lupus est

Comment

Since I started this, and have a little time before going to pay Doc to tell me I'm healed, let me say:

First, I construe 'trail gun' to be something to have when out 'knocking around', whether on a hike or scouting for hunting season or even working away from the house. Needs to be something capable of handling any likely contingencies, from a snake that needs killed (very few snakes 'need' to be killed, unless you're a snake bigot---fodder for another discussion sometime), to any likely critters that could become a threat, to a bunny or squirrel to take home for dinner, and even the unlikely-but-possible encounter with the guy who has a hidden pot patch he doesn't want you to find. Portability is good; effectiveness is better.

Second, I'm not sure a SuperBoomenMagnaBlaster is really necessary, unless in bear country, in which case (from stories I've heard) even the vaunted .44'n'up pistols will seem puny when the time comes. I'd consider any regular EDC model to be adequate, assuming you carry a decent EDC. A 9mm would certainly do for that evil snake, would work for the occasional coyote (which likely wouldn't be attacking, but killing yodel dogs is good for the turkey and deer population). And of course, many two-legged vermin have been dealt with quite well by the caliber. 10mm and .357Sig and .357Magnum/.38Spl would certainly go on the list. Properly-loaded .44Spl or .45Colt, too. Of course, for that rabbit or squirrel, head shots would be advisable.

Third, depending on location and likely encounters, plus the particular hunting season, would probably dictate what rifle I'd have in hand. Scouting during squirrel season, I'd have a .22 rifle and lots of ammo---besides the squirrels, Chuck mentioned plinking, and there are lots of targets for that wherever you're walking around. If I'm squirrel hunting during deer season, and I have a tag, the .22 rifle would be augmented by a deer-appropriate handgun; of the other way around, if I'm deer hunting there would likely be a .22 pistol to back up the deer rifle. All that depends on the when and where. As to make/model, I have so many choices of .22's it would just depend on the whim of the day. Of course, the old Savage .22/.410 combo gun would cover a lot of bases.

Fourth, the shotgun would probably be along only on bird hunts---which are rare for me these days. But even then, I try to remember to put a couple of slugs in a pocket, just in case something comes up where they'd be useful. Make/model would likely be a Remington 870 in 20 or 12ga, whichever is appropriate to the quarry. I've killed a lot of meat with the 20ga Wingmaster my daddy got for me when I was nine years old; and it still works.

Of course, none of this is written in stone, there is no firm dogma here; moods and circumstances can change depending on the....well, mood and circumstance. This is just supposed to be a fun little chat, like we might do at a table with a plate of doughnuts and a pot of coffee (glazed doughnuts and non-foofoo coffee, of course). Ace2

Comment

FN M249 saw.
                      "Boards!!! Do not hit back!!" Bruce Lee
                      "Luck favors the prepared"
                      "You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. And if you're smart, that scares you. Because I have nothing to lose. I mean to beat you to death, and drink your blood from a boot." Jack Reacher

Comment

That would work for about anything. So, shoulder holster or belt holster? Ace2

Comment

I might carry one of my L-frames. With heavy 38 loads.

Comment

If'n I were on a trail for which I could expect to be set upon by dangerous creatures of unknown fauna, be it man or beast; I'd probably load out with tools of a common caliber to simplify and maximize in context of purpose for which I could defend or harvest for self preservation. For this I would select my top ejecting Winchester 94 and sturdy Ruger revolver in either .357 or .44 magnums...but by all means I would carry at least the revolver as long guns have a tendency to be dropped when being chased up a tree.
                            President Ronald Reagan said it best, “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                              That would work for about anything. So, shoulder holster or belt holster? Ace2
                              For me?

A belt holster, shoulder holsters are little uncomfortable
                              "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X