No announcement yet.

Trail Gun?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A google of "10mm AR Carbine" and your choices open wide.

Does it break hammers twice as often as 9mm AR's do?
    Maybe....................

The RMW's are gas operated, not blowback (so maybe not hammer snappers).

Go for it. It's still an under-powered rifle/over-sized pistol.
    My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
    MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

Originally posted by Oldstuffer View Post

No,,, not really.

They are not appreciably more powerful than their parent handgun, they are far less powerful, especially at distance, than any rifle cartridge.

Run the downrange ballistics on that 9mm with a decent expanding pistol bullet sometime, that thing sheds velocity faster than a goose sheds s***.
      Velocity goes, penetration goes too.

I knew someone'd go deer hunting with their 9mm soon as it was legal,,,, who's going to up the ante with a .380 for next season?
      .32's legal now.
      So is .25acp...........................
      Meh, if a 115gr broadhead traveling at 307fps will easily dispatch a 14pt buck in his tracks at 40yds, a 124gr moving at 1200fps at the same distance should be aight.
      "(Hillary Clinton is) very talented, very smart. She's a friend of mine, so I'm a little prejudiced." Trump 2007
      "I know Hillary and I think she’d make a great President or Vice-President." – Trump 2008
      Trump Trump 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
        I like 9mm a lot but it might be a little light for some things that come boiling out of the brush
        It'll dispatch anything you might encounter in Ks. We don't have many bears around here, save for the gay bars in the city.
        "(Hillary Clinton is) very talented, very smart. She's a friend of mine, so I'm a little prejudiced." Trump 2007
        "I know Hillary and I think she’d make a great President or Vice-President." – Trump 2008
        Trump Trump 2016

Comment

Originally posted by RIGPIG View Post

Meh, if a 115gr broadhead traveling at 307fps will easily dispatch a 14pt buck in his tracks at 40yds, a 124gr moving at 1200fps at the same distance should be aight.
          Different dynamics, not a valid comparison. Ace2

edit to add: But it could open another discussion, along the lines of 'Trail Bow'...... Ace2 again
          Last edited by Ace; 09-10-2017, 00:14.
          Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by RIGPIG View Post

The broadhead is a multi-sided razor blade, being driven not by it's own weight (115gr) but by the full weight of the arrow shaft. How much do those weigh? Thrice the head weight, plus the broadhead? So it's really a 460gr broadhead.........................................
            How's the penetration of that 115gr broadhead without the 345gr shaft pushing it?

The bleeding from that razor is far less "self-stopping" than the bleeding from that 9mm bullet's Blunt Force Trauma.

As Ace noted,,,,,,,,,,, it's an apples to oranges comparison, invalid.

"in his tracks"....................... meanwhile I've had the same species of deer, suddenly blown through the lungs (both of them) with a 130gr bullet, struck at 2800+fps, an exit hole you could shove a roll of quarters in through. Some drop on the spot, some run 10, 20, 40 yards, then drop "in their tracks".
            My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
            MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

Back on topic, G's post about his Chiappa .22 reminded me about their 9mm M1 Carbine copy. I could definitely see that as a knock-arounder; light, compact, right ammo could take squirrels and leave enough to eat, light hollow point would make a coyote real unhappy, same hollow point is good social medicine. Wouldn't recommend the caliber for deer, but anything coyote or felinus robertus and down, no problem! Reliable information indicates that the 9mm out of a carbine doesn't necessarily make it any more effective (socially) than out of a handgun, but for some, shooting a rifle/carbine can improve accuracy and shot placement---probably especially at longer ranges.

Now to take a quick peek at Gunbroker..... Ace2

Comment

So does the trail require feeding on the move?
                Originally posted by kscardsfan
                Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
                Originally posted by zap
                Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

As in a survival situation, say walking out of the mountains after a plane crash? Nah, I'm just talking about a day ramblin' around, checking deer sign or getting away from the in-laws. My favorite time is a few days after a good frost, when the fall smells start in. Something about how the memories kick in when you smell something from way back; lots of my best times as a kid were spent in the timber in the fall and winter with a .22 or 20 gauge or .410 in hand.

As for 'feeding on the move', that's why the Earl invented the sandwich; or just clean a rabbit or squirrel and toast him over a little fire. Ace2

Comment

"feeding on the move"............ smoked and jerked meats.

Light, extremely long shelf life, salt support in hot weather, lots of protein, some fat (if not excessively trimmed when made), solid nutrition for extended "moving light".

Comment

And so many good recipes. Ace2

Comment

Working...
                      X