• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competency

Defined as performing task properly

We know how to define competency in shooting competition instruction

But how do we define competency in pistol self defense instruction

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Ask the 'experts' here who qualifies as a competent instructor--------hopefully with links to a video showing examples of trainees who are 'hard acts to follow' so we can use them as examples of how to do it right.

Then wait....... Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Give us your take on it, ricco.
      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
      The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
        Ask the 'experts' here who qualifies as a competent instructor--------hopefully with links to a video showing examples of trainees who are 'hard acts to follow' so we can use them as examples of how to do it right.

Then wait....... Ace2
        Good grief, why do you waste your time writing the same drivel over and over again

If that's how you get your jollies maybe it's time for a re-evaluation of life choices
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
          Give us your take on it, ricco.
          I ask the question because I would like to hear what others think on the topic

Surely I can't be the only person on this forum that has had self defense instruction

Comment

And you're qualified to comment on my life choices.......how?

Besides, it's not drivel. I'm hoping he will actually post or link the video so those of us who haven't been impressed by his bombast could maybe be put in our place, and perhaps we could all be friendlier in our discussions. Heck, I'd even accept a PM with the link, so I could watch it privately---before sharing it with everybody else. Ace2

Comment

Then wait....... Ace2
              Beat me to it Ace,,, my answer exactly, so consider yourself plagiarized now.
              My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
              MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

Surely I can't be the only person on this forum that has had self defense instruction
                Perhaps none of those care to compare theirs to yours to see which one is bigger............................................ ...........
                My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

I consider it an honor. Plage away. Ace2

Comment

Gary has taken Ayoob's classes at least once. There are many kinds of "self-defense instruction" from military boot camp to police training to private security guard bodyguard training. Gary held a Kansas PI license and passed the PI required testing.

Since most of the people on KSCCW are not LEO active or retired and few have been involved in CQC, few can say they survived and are therefore "qualified" and many people who are so well trained they have been able to avoid fighting because they recognized the cul-de-sac or the risk.

IF I was going into combat I'd want a NAVY SEAL or a Marine Corps recon sniper and the rules of engagement that always favored me! I'm more concerned with safety at Dillons ot Intrust Bank ATM than I am at the Kansas State Fair. I don't go to the fair since I can't afford to drive 100 miles just to buy over-priced entertainment.
                    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

You're not. Like Macklin says I have been to Ayoob's LFI class but it was a while back. I would have taken his class last May, but my niece scheduled her wedding for that time and I was in Seattle.

Others of us have LE, military, or like me, have also had private security or PI training.

All right; I'll bite, but with the expectation that you will meet me halfway and provide us with your ideas as well. From the OP:
                      But how do we define competency in pistol self defense instruction
                      I'll defne it in terms of my goals.

Gun safety.

Moral, ethical and legal considerations in the use of deadly force.

How to avoid conflict.

How to put your adversary down as quickly as possible, assuming that your conflict avoidance has failed.

Dealing with the aftermath.

If an instructor does these well, I'd say he or she is competent.

Okay; it's your turn, ricco.
                      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

And you're qualified to comment on my life choices.......how?

Besides, it's not drivel. I'm hoping he will actually post or link the video so those of us who haven't been impressed by his bombast could maybe be put in our place, and perhaps we could all be friendlier in our discussions. Heck, I'd even accept a PM with the link, so I could watch it privately---before sharing it with everybody else. Ace2
                        Fair point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post

Gary has taken Ayoob's classes at least once. There are many kinds of "self-defense instruction" from military boot camp to police training to private security guard bodyguard training. Gary held a Kansas PI license and passed the PI required testing.

Since most of the people on KSCCW are not LEO active or retired and few have been involved in CQC, few can say they survived and are therefore "qualified" and many people who are so well trained they have been able to avoid fighting because they recognized the cul-de-sac or the risk.

IF I was going into combat I'd want a NAVY SEAL or a Marine Corps recon sniper and the rules of engagement that always favored me! I'm more concerned with safety at Dillons ot Intrust Bank ATM than I am at the Kansas State Fair. I don't go to the fair since I can't afford to drive 100 miles just to buy over-priced entertainment.
                          And most (if not all) of that "training" is (as has been explained to us ad infinitum) in the wrong context for "self-defense", so it is, at best, inapplicable and unsuitable to be relied on, and, at worst, actually dangerous MIS-training.,

Comment

It was not an adversarial question, I didn't ask it that way

Choosing to interpret it as adversarial is on you

Comment

It was not an adversarial question, I didn't ask it that way

Choosing to interpret it as adversarial is on you
                              Who was this directed at????

I've given my answer, and it was a fair one, I think; now, how would you define competency in SD pistol instruction?

Comment

Working...
                              X