Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

Who was this directed at????

I've given my answer, and it was a fair one, I think; now, how would you define competency in SD pistol instruction?
    Of course it wasn't directed at you
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

You're not. Like Macklin says I have been to Ayoob's LFI class but it was a while back. I would have taken his class last May, but my niece scheduled her wedding for that time and I was in Seattle.

Others of us have LE, military, or like me, have also had private security or PI training.

All right; I'll bite, but with the expectation that you will meet me halfway and provide us with your ideas as well. From the OP:

I'll defne it in terms of my goals.

Gun safety.

Moral, ethical and legal considerations in the use of deadly force.

How to avoid conflict.

How to put your adversary down as quickly as possible, assuming that your conflict avoidance has failed.

Dealing with the aftermath.

If an instructor does these well, I'd say he or she is competent.

Okay; it's your turn, ricco.
      I agree with everything you wrote

You see, I don't know with a high degree of certainty what is competent self defense instruction

So there is a problem and no I am not being quarrlsome

If we take a competition shooting class we can judge the competency of the instruction the very next weekend at a match

Unless we have the misfortune of getting into a self defense situation how do we know if the instruction we received was competent, unlike competition we don't get to come back next week and try again

So many instructors with competeing ideas

If we look at the "Modern Technique", they are static

Saurez says to move and keep moving

Pincus and Spalding split the difference, move and stop

Lovell moves stops and almost instantly moves again, very athletic movement

Each instructor can make a case for the "why" of their instruction

Are each of them providing comptetent instruction, if not how do we know

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

I agree with everything you wrote

You see, I don't know with a high degree of certainty what is competent self defense instruction

So there is a problem and no I am not being quarrlsome

If we take a competition shooting class we can judge the competency of the instruction the very next weekend at a match

Unless we have the misfortune of getting into a self defense situation how do we know if the instruction we received was competent, unlike competition we don't get to come back next week and try again

So many instructors with competeing ideas

If we look at the "Modern Technique", they are static

Saurez says to move and keep moving

Pincus and Spalding split the difference, move and stop

Lovell moves stops and almost instantly moves again, very athletic movement

Each instructor can make a case for the "why" of their instruction

Are each of them providing comptetent instruction, if not how do we know
        Let's us the moving while shooting, move to shoot, move shoot move.

Which one allows us to get to the last round the fastest, since we can't be 100% certain of the exact circumstances, over the broadest range of circumstances.

What percentage of gun owners can hit a paper target while they move as fast as they can to their left or right? How many can perform that same task while someone is trying to end their life? How many are willing to put forth the effort to improve their ability to perform such a task?

I've experimented with the first 2 and have watched numerous attempt the 3rd. The first 2 are almost a wash, #1 requiring much more effort and energy to match the results of the 2nd. The 3rd is, well, the 3rd.
        Last edited by mjkeat; 11-14-2017, 04:59.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Working...
        X