Dogs as a character judge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs as a character judge

Do you think your dog is a good judge of character?

My pit loves my grandson, he even told my dominant female off over him, he has never challenged her before.

I was was looking at some Christmas pictures, when my grandson was on the floor with his dad, the pit was in physical contact with the boy, and the dog people Iíve shown the pictures agree he was in protection mode.

Iím not sure if the dog was reading my opinion of the dad, or his crap detector was going off.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
    Originally posted by zap
    Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Blondi was not a good judge it seemed. Blondi loved his master, Adolf Hitler. OTOH, my GF's dog seems to like me. Take from that what you will.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
      Blondi was not a good judge it seemed. Blondi loved his master, Adolf Hitler. OTOH, my GF's dog seems to like me. Take from that what you will.

Maybe your GF likes and trusts you and the dog takes that as authoritative guidance.

Maybe you smell like food that isn't ripe yet? I had a Shepard when I was 14-15 years old. Very sweet and gentle dog with everybody. One day a guy was at our place and he was loudly arguing with my mother. My dog put him on his back and growled a warning to be quiet and leave. Didn't bite the man's throat but his teeth were very close. The guy left and never came back.

My dog was hit by a yellow and white Olds doing about 100 mph a few weeks later. I was about 100 feet away on horseback.The dog had been kicked in the head by a horse and was blind in one eye, so it didn't see the car that hit him. The car never stopped.

The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
      If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
      I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Like people, all dogs have their own 'doganality'. Some people are good character judgers, have lotsa common sense, learn quick, are loyal, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent, honest, hygienic, straight, moral, and are a joy to be around. Some aren't. Dogs are the same way. I've had dogs that could only get along with their own pack--me, my people, our other dogs--and would be anywhere from just stand-offish to downright aggressive to outsiders; others that would happily snuggle with Charlie Manson the first time they meet him.
        My experience has been that in general, dogs are loyal to their people, and will usually pick up cues as to the 'proper' attitude to others; and frequently, maybe mostly, will have one or two of their people who are special to them, like Tom's pit and the grandson. Most dogs, like most people, will be protective of their 'pack', to a greater or lesser degree.
        My lab is real stand-offish with other people, almost like she's afraid of them, and with no real reason. She's never been mistreated, never been abused, but she just doesn't like other people. Takes her a long time to make up with a new person---doggie cookies help the process. She has been aggressive to only one person ever. My Dachsund is one of those who would cuddle up to Hitler, and would be happy to jump in the car with anybody who asked. My Lab-Australian Shepherd mix growls at outsiders who come in the house, but doesn't make any attempt to bite. I think she would if somebody got physical, but mostly she just want them and us to know they don't belong. Once she accepts somebody, she loves to have her ears scratched.
        Dogs are great creatures. Anybody who doesn't like dogs needs to be watched carefully; there's something wrong with them. Ace2
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Ace, I think you are on the money. I had a big Dalmatian that could be anyoneís dog, he literally climbed in my truck at the rescue and never looked back all the way to Kansas. He was just a big sweetie.

He completely surprised me one night, I didnít get home from work til midnight and was driving a strange car, when I opened the door from the garage to the house, there was 75 pounds of dog hunkered down teeth bared til he recognized me.

Iím also a believer that a holes tend to have bad dogs, Iím sure a different family could have ruined my pitty.

Originally posted by kscardsfan
          Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
          Originally posted by zap
          Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post

I’m also a believer that a holes tend to have bad dogs, I’m sure a different family could have ruined my pitty.
            Yeah that's my take on it. It's not surprising to see the stereotypical ahole get a pet then decide they don't want to pay any attention to it anymore after the puppy stage. Dogs need socialization like human children do or they end up anxious around others, bored and depressed.
            For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
            And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
            And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
            And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
            -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
              Like people, all dogs have their own 'doganality'. Some people are good character judgers, have lotsa common sense, learn quick, are loyal, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent, honest, hygienic, straight, moral, and are a joy to be around. Some aren't. Dogs are the same way. I've had dogs that could only get along with their own pack--me, my people, our other dogs--and would be anywhere from just stand-offish to downright aggressive to outsiders; others that would happily snuggle with Charlie Manson the first time they meet him.
              My experience has been that in general, dogs are loyal to their people, and will usually pick up cues as to the 'proper' attitude to others; and frequently, maybe mostly, will have one or two of their people who are special to them, like Tom's pit and the grandson. Most dogs, like most people, will be protective of their 'pack', to a greater or lesser degree.
              My lab is real stand-offish with other people, almost like she's afraid of them, and with no real reason. She's never been mistreated, never been abused, but she just doesn't like other people. Takes her a long time to make up with a new person---doggie cookies help the process. She has been aggressive to only one person ever. My Dachsund is one of those who would cuddle up to Hitler, and would be happy to jump in the car with anybody who asked. My Lab-Australian Shepherd mix growls at outsiders who come in the house, but doesn't make any attempt to bite. I think she would if somebody got physical, but mostly she just want them and us to know they don't belong. Once she accepts somebody, she loves to have her ears scratched.
              Dogs are great creatures. Anybody who doesn't like dogs needs to be watched carefully; there's something wrong with them. Ace2
              "Doganality" huh? I thought I was the only one who used that term.

My sister-in-law had a Great Dane that was like your Lab in a way. The only thing was that he was very aggressive and when I went to their house for a visit, I had to completely ignore him. Then about the time that I left to go home, he finally got friendly with me. That's the best way to deal with dogs that don't care for you at first: ignore them. Then they tend to get better, at least in my experience.
              Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
              The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Working...
              X