Going to be buying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to be buying

Hey, all. Been a while since I've been on here so figured it was about time to get back Hope everyone has been well while I've been gone a looong time.

Anyway, I wasn't sure the best place to post this but I'm looking for some feedback. I'm planning to buy a gun (or guns ) in a couple weeks and am having trouble figuring out just what to buy. I currently have: A Glock 30s, A .38 special revolver, a Taurus .380, A 20 gauge shotgun, a .270 rifle and a .22 rifle. Plus, I am also getting a Ruger LC9s Pro off of layaway around the same time so that'll be part of my collection too.

I'm thinking of getting an AR15 but boy, there sure are some nice handguns out and about there nowadays. Let's say I've got $1,000 approx. that I can spend. What I'd like are some suggestions from you, such as: What gun you'd recommend and why? Seeing my collection above, is there something different that I need to further diversify my collection?
    Last edited by wolste99; 02-09-2018, 20:25.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ingorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Welcome back!! It has been a while since you've been here. To give you some help, we need to know what you will do with the gun. There are more platforms than the AR 15 to choose from, so unless you have your heart set on an AR (and they are a fine choice) you might look at the AK's, the mini-14, or maybe even a good bolt action like the various Scout rifles or maybe the CZ 527.

I just recently picked up a Colt/Walther 1911 in 22 LR, that is a good little plinker. Or if you want another option for CC, there are the Officer's Model style guns such as the Colt Defender, in 9mm and 45ACP. Both of them make decent carry options as well. Glock and SIG also make good pistols. I do better with revolvers, so that's what I carry, but you might be different.

As an aside, Colt is now back into the DA revolver business with their stainless steel Cobra in 38 special.. That's something that I am thinking of picking up, even though I don't normally carry less than a 4" barrel.

So there are plenty of options out there. Good luck in your search.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

• wolste99
      wolste99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, if I go the AR route, I'll use it for fun shooting and whatnot. I have actually considered the Mini 14 as well. I've shot them and they're awesome.

I currently carry my Glock 30s but I am kind of wanting a smaller sized handgun that I can carry. Most of the smaller guns (size-wise, not caliber) seem to only have 6-8 ammo capacity. I could, however carry an extra mag in need be. I pretty much bought the LC9s Pro to carry most of the time but, as I mentioned, the mags don't hold a lot. I am going to get one of the 9 shot mags, however so that helps.

I'm not a huge fan of revolvers, although I do have a .38 Special revolver (5 shot). I really enjoy shooting it.

Good time to buy a AR 15, buyers market with low prices.

Comment

• wolste99
      wolste99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I've been noticing there has been a price drop as of late. Bud's has many at a really good price.

Kinda like asking a fat guy which pie he wants for dessert---one of each! Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

• wolste99
      wolste99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! This is so true. I guess I'm trying to round out what I have, with around $1,000 being the budget. My preference would definitely be one of each but I can't do it at this time.

Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Kinda like asking a fat guy which pie he wants for dessert---one of each! Ace2
    Indeed.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

What collection is complete without a good 1911? I have a Kimber Classic Stainless Gold Match in pristine condition that would be within your price range.
      REMEMBER: If you buy single-ply toilet paper, sometimes your finger pokes through.

"Son, if you want more, make yourself worth more." -- My Dad

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

An alternative to buying another gun, can be buying something to enjoy the ones you have more.

How are you set on ammo, or do you reload?? $1000 (actually less) would buy a decent reloading setup to handle the centerfires you own currently.

IF you're set on a gun, then IMHO it's hard to go wrong getting an AR15 now. It's a buyers market and there's good deals happening daily. Also don't know how you feel about the PR game, but right now CDNN has a killer deal on Ruger Precsion rifles:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-pr...l#.Wn9FMOjwaUk

6MM Creedmoor for $899, .308 for $999, and 5.56 for $999

homo homini lupus est

Comment

• wolste99
          wolste99 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have toyed with the idea of reloading but my problem currently is not having the space, or even a decent area, to do so. Plus, my Father-in-law reloads so he hooks myself and others up with ammo. I would actually love to get into reloading but it will have to wait on space.

I'm definitely leaning toward the AR but will examine other rifle options.

Ruger Precision Rifles are butt-ugly......but they shoot good.

Wish I'd thought of the reloading idea, that's a good one. Ace2
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          Ruger Precision Rifles are butt-ugly......but they shoot good.

Wish I'd thought of the reloading idea, that's a good one. Ace2
          I hear ya, the RPR isn't winning any beauty contests, but they do shoot well. It's not a "traditional" rifle, but for what it is, it's a bargain. Not many off the shelf factory rifles will hold .5 MOA, and I've seen 3 RPRs do it so far. When doing load development mine (.243) kept everything I tried under an inch for 5 shot groups. Add to that the idea it's modular, with most parts able to be swapped out by the user and it really is a unique rifle at its price point.
          homo homini lupus est

Comment

Got burned by the LC9SPro, literally gave mine away.

If I had a dime to piss away, snub round butt 686.
            Originally posted by kscardsfan
            Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
            Originally posted by zap
            Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

• wolste99
              wolste99 commented
              Editing a comment
              How did you get burned?

Steyr Scout Rifle

I like 7mm-08, so that one

A couple of weeks ago I thought I had a friend convinced he should own one but he walked away empty handed, reluctantly though I think

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Could not keep the mag release from rusting, even bought new parts and baked them in Frog Lube. It liked to drop mags all by itself.
              Originally posted by kscardsfan
              Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
              Originally posted by zap
              Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

Historic low for AR's and higher cap mags. $1K goes a long way in the AR market right now. I'd recommend taking that route at this time.

At $10-$15/per for a reliable magazine, I'd be willing to bet that if you adjust for inflation, the mags would actually be at historically lowest prices too.
                (I'd recommend buying a less expensive factory AR such as a M&P Sport II or similar, and start stacking mags and 5.56 ammo deep with the rest of the money).

Heck, mags are add-on items for the trip or shopping cart. Buy em' cheap and stack em' deep. If you're a gun guy at all (and the OP likely is), there would be no downside to having 20 or more quality mags on hand. Run 5 or more in circulation and leave the rest in the pack, then the worst thing that would happen is that they would be resell-able for at least what you got in em' and likely more due to either inflation or because they're so cheap.

Mags are the first accessory the anti's try to regulate.

I'd put my money into an AR and lots of mags in this market.
                For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Working...
                X