X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10mm for Defense?

Viable option or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5c0dbDrH0
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

And the other side of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCEbXFRbPE&t=294s
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

If it can be drawn, brought onto target and controlled in rapid fire on the move as well as 9mm or .38 spl sure why not
      Last edited by ricco; 02-11-2018, 23:49.
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Nothing wrong with 10mm, as long as you don't work for the FBI. Ace2
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

It is far too uncontrollably powerful for Maximum Efficiency in Contextual Self Defense by mere mortals, as experts have repeatedly told me.
          Gone. Good riddance.
          Watch the **** storm continue without me.

Comment

The video was entertaining. They touched on over-penetration, briefly, but that concern is overrated for the most part. The best cure for that is to not miss. Ace2
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
              If it can be drawn, brought onto target and controlled in rapid fire on the move as well as 9mm or .38 spl sure why not
              The thing with that is all things equal the 9mm or .38 spl will be easier to control than the 10mm.
              Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

And all things are always equal........................
                Gone. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldstuffer View Post
                  And all things are always equal........................
                  Do you disagree with my post? If so let's hear why.

The guy who can control the G20 well could control the G17 even better. Disagree?
                  Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

The thing with that is all things equal the 9mm or .38 spl will be easier to control than the 10mm.
                    And that was my point

Even if the 10mm could be controlled as easily as the 9mm or.38 there isn't enough upside to matter

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

I suppose the shooters ability and the platform should also be taken into consideration. So in some cases a 10mm in a full sized service pistol might just be as controllable as a 9mm in a light sub-compact. A shooter that goes through a few thousand rounds a month, just might be able to control his 10mm better than some guy with a 9mm that spends the majority of his time playing airsoft.

I have no doubt that 10mm guy could control a 9mm better all things being equal and I do believe that 9mm is adequate, but in no way, shape or form to I believe a 9mm to be equal to a 10mm. To believe so is to deny physics.

I think a wise man once said something to the effect of carry the biggest caliber you can shoot effectively. The issue always becomes what one's idea of effectiveness is. I have a fairly decent idea of my limitations and carrying a 10mm in a platform I'd carry concealed is outside of them.
                      The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post
                        I suppose the shooters ability and the platform should also be taken into consideration.
                        Not relevant according to the experts I hear from, regularly..........................
                        Gone. Good riddance.

Comment

I carried 10mm for 2 years. 1 year with a G29 the other year was a mix of a 1911 and a G40.
                          I have gone to a XDS in 45 acp, contemplating switching to a G19.
                          Everything is easier to shoot than 10mm.
                          My advice, Go easy.
                          NRA Life Member
                          Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post
                            I carried 10mm for 2 years. 1 year with a G29 the other year was a mix of a 1911 and a G40.
                            I have gone to a XDS in 45 acp, contemplating switching to a G19.
                            Everything is easier to shoot than 10mm.
                            My advice, Go easy.
                            The 10 can be a challenge to control. Personally, I don't carry my 610 wheelgun as it is too heavy, but it would be good for a house gun or hunting handgun. If (and that is a big 'if') I ever go to Alaska, it would be a gun I'd consider taking with me.

Comment

I only carried 10 because I wanted to legitimately say I took a deer with my carry gun.
                              Mission accomplished!
                              NRA Life Member
                              Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Working...
                              X