X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real Wild West

http://dailysignal.com/2018/03/08/gu...ded-wild-west/

From the article
    An even more dramatic instance of widespread gun ownership thwarting crime took place in Minnesota in 1876.

The Jesse James gang attempted to rob a bank in Northfield, but as the robbery was taking place, one merchant shouted, “Get your guns, boys—they’re robbing the bank!”

Armed citizens swarmed the crooks to protect their community and local business. They wore no uniforms and had no official mandate to step into the line of fire. But they acted bravely and unhesitantly in a time of crisis against highly organized criminals—a sharp contrast to what took place during the Parkland, Florida, school shooting, in which armed, trained members of law enforcement didn’t rush in to stop the shooter.

Northfield’s armed citizens killed a couple of the bank robbers and wounded many more. This effort by the good guys with guns helped put an end to the James gang and its string of crimes.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Gary, the .gov didn’t exist then, and people took personal responsibility. You couldn’t call 911 and hide in the fraidy hole.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
    Originally posted by zap
    Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

Closer to home...even closer to your home Gary:

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...eyville-kansas
      "Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

An even more dramatic instance of widespread gun ownership thwarting crime took place in Minnesota in 1876.

The Jesse James gang attempted to rob a bank in Northfield, but as the robbery was taking place, one merchant shouted, “Get your guns, boys—they’re robbing the bank!”

Armed citizens swarmed the crooks to protect their community and local business. They wore no uniforms and had no official mandate to step into the line of fire. But they acted bravely and unhesitantly in a time of crisis against highly organized criminals—a sharp contrast to what took place during the Parkland, Florida, school shooting, in which armed, trained members of law enforcement didn’t rush in to stop the shooter.

Northfield’s armed citizens killed a couple of the bank robbers and wounded many more. This effort by the good guys with guns helped put an end to the James gang and its string of crimes.
        There was no FDIC. When a small town bank was robbed the town often died because maney was a real thing. Thus the residents took bank robbery very seriously.

In the Old West, Sheriff Henry Plummer plays a big part of Montana history. It was perhaps the last act of vigilantes to shoot or hang the sheriff and his deputies who robbed te gold mines.
        Last edited by Jim Macklin; 03-14-2018, 04:09. Reason: correct the sheriff's name not Plumber, but Plummer
        The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

This is what the novelist and good old boys refer to as "better times" when they refer to the current society going to waste.

I hate - no...- passionately despise- fakebook but I'd take social media disinformation over my family being robbed, raped, buried in a shallow grave, burned in my own home or thrown in a creek with no one the wiser. Out of sight, out of mind.

Not to mention enjoying air conditioning in July through August or not dying a horrible diarrhea death from tainted water whilst downing trees with a hand saw, dragging them home and cording wood for a wood burning stove I had to keep burning from October through April. Crime in the cities was an everyday thing just like it is now.

You never seen that on Little House on the Prairie.
          Last edited by fixxer; 03-14-2018, 13:30.
          For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
          And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
          And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
          And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
          -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

But just think, if kids had to be kept busy cutting firewood, tending gardens, working cows and pigs and sheep for the year's food supply--all this for survival--maybe they wouldn't have time to be walking out of school for 17 minutes or taking Liberal-funded 'spontaneous' trips to the state capitol and DC to protest guns--which same guns would be needed to help protect the homestead and provide wild meat to the larder. Ace2
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Yeah 2/3 of them would be dead from either still birth, small pox, any number of infections or cholera.

The good old days when you could buy a bag of grain from the General Store for a nickel and get change back!

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
              And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
              And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
              And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
              -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Originally posted by fixxer View Post
                Yeah 2/3 of them would be dead from either still birth, small pox, any number of infections or cholera.

The good old days when you could buy a bag of grain from the General Store for a nickel and get change back!
                Someone needs to remind the Anti-Vaccineers about THOSE "good old days"................ Child Mortality was YUGE!!! back then. Over 40% died before age 5, today,,, worldwide it's just over 4% today,, in well developed (wealthy) nations,, it's below 1%.

And yes,, the #1 killer of adults was some infection that would be minor and easily beatable today, post anti-biotic discovers. I've already outlived the 19th Century life expectancy and that without any major medical intervention in my life (moderate to major injuries).
                My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

Since we are on the subject

There are a couple of older cemeteries not far from where I live that have some interesting history

One cemetery has a row of graves, IIRC there were 12, that all have the death date in the same month and year

A friend who is history buff did some looking and found that a cholera outbreak occured about that time in this area

In a town that small, 12 people was goodly part of the population
                  "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

The Parkland, FL school shooting was a perfect storm of stupidity, incompetence, negligence, cowardice, corruption, and other bad things I can't think of off the top of my head. The blame runs all the way from the parents to the school board, to the superintendent, to the HS principal, to the PD and SO, the social services, the state politicians, FBI, the Deep State, etc. There is plenty of blame to go around, but some are more outrageous than others.

If I was a parent of one of the dead or injured students I would be wanting to find someone to blame, but also, I would feel great guilt, knowing that ultimately the safety of my children is my responsibility. Like a software Terms of Use, I must accept the lack of security of public schools as a condition of using them. If I cannot accept the lack of security, then I should not send my child there. Accepting this lack of security gives me a feeling of guilt, fear and dread, but I, like most people, feel that I do not have any choice, as I cannot afford a high-priced private school with high security, and home schooling likely is not a practical option, especially with the way the homeschooling laws are written. That is not to say that we should accept the lack of security, no we definitely should not. But for decades, we have accepted the lack of security, though likely uncomfortably, and perhaps now society is ready to do something about it. If parents only knew what the elites' school security was like, in comparison to their public schools, I think they would demand it.

We engineer schools for fire safety, and after a Joplin, MO school got devastated by a tornado, I think we are beginning to design schools with tornado safety in mind, but we also need to engineer in anti-terror safety, too.

We (the USA) have been dozing too long, we need to WAKE UP to the REALITY of the world as it is today. We need to play hardball and get tough--if we don't, then our children will continue to suffer the consequences of our criminal negligence.
                    Last edited by Goodtime Charlie; 03-17-2018, 22:43.
                    http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuH...e=channel_page
                    http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
                    http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
                    https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      But just think, if kids had to be kept busy cutting firewood, tending gardens, working cows and pigs and sheep for the year's food supply--all this for survival--maybe they wouldn't have time to be walking out of school for 17 minutes or taking Liberal-funded 'spontaneous' trips to the state capitol and DC to protest guns--which same guns would be needed to help protect the homestead and provide wild meat to the larder. Ace2
                      Interestingly,,, you were golden to walk out for 17 minutes with a sign,, AS LONG AS IT WAS THE CORRECT/APPROVED BLAME-AGE SIGNAGE.

If your sign said the wrong things,, you got hauled out of the protest by the principal, berated about your faulty understanding of your 'rights', and threatened with being arrested..........
                      My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                      MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

Working...
                      X