• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So If It's Not "Top Quality"

I'm kinda screwed

Quess I'll have to depend on life insurance

Jim Wilson

37 mins ∑

A TOP QUALITY DEFENSIVE HANDGUN often costs in the neighborhood of $2000-$3000.

The average funeral runs about $8,000.

You do the math.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Originally posted by ricco View Post
    I'm kinda screwed

Jim Wilson

37 mins ∑

You do the math.
    That's the cost to get the dinosaur's dinosaur of a defensive handgun to work even somewhat.

And of course it's a gun-focused talisman approach to personal defense.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

A few bucks worth of Kingsford, and a strike anywhere match, and I have a funeral. Gonna have to get torched with my Colt, the cheap azz GLOCK wonít leave much of a talisman in my urn.
      Originally posted by kscardsfan
      Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
      Originally posted by zap
      Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

I'm kinda screwed

Jim Wilson

37 mins ∑

You do the math.
        Granted this is all nonsense but I'd like to know where these facts came from.

Firstly: I'd like to know where they are funeral shopping. Last time I was involved with funeral planning (in Morton County, 2008), prices started at about $12K for a cremation without a casket or urn.
        Secondly: No mention of the medical bills that you generally acquire for emergency services and critical care room costs for a doctor to call your death.

That's another $10K and God help your family if you spend 2 or 3 days in critical care before passing. Costs start stacking exponentially if they're keeping you alive artificially.
        Make the decision sooner, rather than later to pull a plug if you're brain dead.

Some people shut down and aren't doing themselves any favors by thinking that they need to keep them plugged in while they take time to decide. In one case, one of the parents decided he needed to keep her on the life support until he showed up in 3 or 4 days. I have no idea what he thought we was missing.

A corpse is not any less dead when you have a bunch of equipment making your organs somewhat work to keep a hear beat. Fighting insurance to cover post-brain dead care us a losing battle. Once you're dead, you're dead. Once brain dead, forget about insurance covering costs. You're not even getting their "provider negotiated pricing" at that point. (Insurance companies negotiate about 50% cost breaks as an agreement to allow them to be in their network).
        Last edited by fixxer; 04-09-2018, 10:03.
        For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
        And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
        And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
        And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
        -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Fixxer, I cremated my brother for under 2k, and it was a dignified service. Let me know if you need a name and number.
          Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
          Originally posted by zap
          Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
            Fixxer, I cremated my brother for under 2k, and it was a dignified service. Let me know if you need a name and number.
            Yep. My wifeís cremation 6 years ago was $1500 and that included a rental casket for the viewing. Of course as noted the 6 months she spent in CICU and ICU were in a different world of costs!

Comment

There are things like,"Mericals", I personally know three who where on life support and considered brain dead, who are alive today with brain fucntion. Which tells me doctors truly don't know everything and especially how humans can heal. Don't count out people on life support, if I didn't see so many wake up, I would tell you to trust your doctor. Imo.

"Boards!!! Do not hit back!!" Bruce Lee
              "Luck favors the prepared"
              "You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. And if you're smart, that scares you. Because I have nothing to lose. I mean to beat you to death, and drink your blood from a boot." Jack Reacher

Comment

What a weird drift this has taken

Anyway

There is also Direct Burial offered by funeral homes, it's cheaper than going through the whole embalming process and such

If there is no funeral decomp isn't an issue
                Last edited by ricco; 04-09-2018, 22:15.
                "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Iíll never know if I will need to pull my gun, but itís 100% someone will have to deal with my body. Have you prepared?

The guy that helped me with my brother did a nice viewing without embalming or a casket. He even made him look good even though the coroner sawed his head open.
                  Originally posted by zap

Comment

If we're going the macabre route here, I've told Momma I want to be buried without that cement vault, and in the least expensive, bio-degradable casket she can get. Let nature take its course, let the body go back to dust, like it was originally designed to do. I won't be there anyway.
                    Wouldn't mind going while out hunting, and they can't find me for a few days. Let the critters have their way with me, then just put the bones in a bag and put them in a hole. Cheap and easy, and only fair, considering how many critters I've killed over the decades. Momma doesn't like the idea. Ace2

edit to add: To keep it on-topic, I'm not sure the bad guys can really tell the difference between a $350 and a $2,500 gun when they get shot. I know the deers I've shot with a $200 H&R Handi Rifle were just as dead as any that were shot with $600 to $1,000 rifles. Same with quail, doves, pheasants, etc. shot with a bolt-action .410 or a Benelli or a Franchi. Ace2 again
                    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Can't say if Wilson get's paid by Nighthawk Custom but he sure talks them up and he works their booth at SHOT

Interesting thing

Jim Wilson, being a Gunsite/Cooper guy was a long time proponent of the 1911 in 45acp then all of sudden, lo and behold, the $ 3200.00 Browning Hi Power from Nighthawk was a pistol worth carrying

Probably just a coincidence

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
                        Wow. That ship has sailed. Would have saved us about $10k though. Granted we didn't do any comparison shopping.
                        For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                        And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                        And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                        And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                        -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Can't say if Wilson get's paid by Nighthawk Custom but he sure talks them up and he works their booth at SHOT

Interesting thing

Jim Wilson, being a Gunsite/Cooper guy was a long time proponent of the 1911 in 45acp then all of sudden, lo and behold, the $ 3200.00 Browning Hi Power from Nighthawk was a pistol worth carrying

Probably just a coincidence
                          Or not. Recommending a 1911 to folks for a defensive handgun takes a special kind of someone. I can see such a person jumping ship for a dollar or two.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

Or not. Recommending a 1911 to folks for a defensive handgun takes a special kind of someone. I can see such a person jumping ship for a dollar or two.
                            Apparently glock and the gloclones need to charge more for their Trigger Dingus.

My dinosaur's dinosaur cost me $250 and hasn't missed a beat in 20 years, yea, unreliability like that sucks.
                            Time to Drive By again.

Where's those highlight video links "Hard Act To Follow" mjkeat???????

Comment

Originally posted by Oldstuffer View Post

Apparently glock and the gloclones need to charge more for their Trigger Dingus.

My dinosaur's dinosaur cost me $250 and hasn't missed a beat in 20 years, yea, unreliability like that sucks.
                              There's a lot to be said about the context in which we use the tool. I purchase a lot of tools from Harbor Freight for use around the house but wouldn't use them at work where I'm hardest on tools and when I cant afford for my tools not to work.

What training have you taken with that handgun, class titles, instructors, and dates?

When, where, and how often do you practice the skills you learned in defensive handgun classes?

How much work has been performed on that gun?

Don't forget the whole sample size, there's always one, on average, etc.
                              Last edited by mjkeat; 04-11-2018, 01:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X