Tourniquet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourniquet

How many of you know how to and could safely utilize a tourniquet?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...17348181650600
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

It is a last resort measure with potential to cause harm. Donít whip them out for a simple nose bleed.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
    Originally posted by zap
    Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
      It is a last resort measure with potential to cause harm. Donít whip them out for a simple nose bleed.
      What harm can be caused?

When should it be used?
      Last edited by mjkeat; 05-12-2018, 14:39.

Comment

How do you tourniquet a nose bleed?

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

I wonder how many touriquets are riding in bags and have never even been uwrapped

Putting aTQ on another person is pretty easy, putting one on yourself is a little more difficult

The first time I practiced it I can't say for sure I would have got it done in time

The leg isn't that tough, but TQ'ing the brachial artery can be more difficult
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

What harm can be caused?

When should it be used?
            If left on too long blood can't circulate to the limb, BUT, in that same length of time without the the TQ the person would most likely be dead from blood loss

Given the response time for medical help to arrive the chances that harm would be done from a TQ are very low

Often times bleeding can be stopped with direct pressure, if that fails a TQ is called for

If blood is spurting out a TQ will probably be needed

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

If left on too long blood can't circulate to the limb, BUT, in that same length of time without the the TQ the person would most likely be dead from blood loss

Given the response time for medical help to arrive the chances that harm would be done from a TQ are very low

Often times bleeding can be stopped with direct pressure, if that fails a TQ is called for

If blood is spurting out a TQ will probably be needed
              I know you know, lol.

Comment

Yeah, I just wanted to get the information out there before anymore silliness from NSBT polluted the thread

Comment

Do you carry clotting agent with your TQ?
                  Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.
                  Originally posted by zap
                  Winning a political debate on this forum is like winning the special Olympics....you would need to be a retard to enter it.

Comment

There was a good discussion of them, and with a kit maker on last Sunday's Guntalk show.
                    My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                    MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

Originally posted by Oldstuffer View Post
                      There was a good discussion of them, and with a kit maker on last Sunday's Guntalk show.
                      Awesome. What were some of the points they hit on?

Comment

Go download the podcast and listen for yourself.

It's Free.

Don't expect me to do your homework for you.
                        My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                        MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

There as many opinions on hemostatics as there are on which caliber is best

If you have some basic medical knowledge this will probably tell you more than you wnt to know about hemostattics, it was kind of my go to for information when I was trying figure this stuff out

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4869418/

My PERSONAL rule is, if blood is running out a hemostatic and pressure might be best, if blood is spurting I would go directly to the TQ

Packing a wound with a hemostatic isn't the easiest thing to do particularly if the wound is small

There are all kinds of tables on time of unconsciousness and death from blood loss, sometimes they're right and sometimes they're not

Some say you have about 5 minutes before loss of consciousness from a severed brachial artery and about 1 minute for severed femoral artery

I have no doubt that if looked for examples of both of those times being right and wrong can be found

That said, there is no time for dawdling

While unconsciousness and death aren't the same thing, if you are working on another person and they lose consciouness you might still have a little time, a little. If you are working on yourself and lose consciousness, well........
                          Last edited by ricco; 05-12-2018, 17:48.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

Awesome. What were some of the points they hit on?
                            This is what I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=dhUiLTDtJOc

Comment

Having enjoyed 4 vein ruptures, with blood steadily flowing about 8" out from the wound, pressure and clotting agent were the answer. I think I would have resisted an amateur coming at me with a TQ.
                              Originally posted by zap

Comment

Working...
                              X