Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could You Have Drawn Your Pistol

Watch all the the way to the end

So could you have drawn or would you have had to trade punches like what happens in the video

If necessary could you trade punches like the guy in the video

https://www.facebook.com/FanpageApoi...wNzUwNDkxMjEw/

Bill Regina commented on this.

Immediate Action Combatives shared a video.

18 hrs ·

This video has been making the rounds the last week or so and a number of people have commented on it. I think there have been some important lessons missed. Here are some things that jumped out at me.

1) A lot of people love to say that they never let unknowns get too close. That is utter drivel and here is a shining example. Look at the size of the store. Where could the good guy go where he would be able to keep distance? Nowhere. The shop space is too contained. And as for “awareness”? I defy anyone to keep their head on a swivel when they are actively talking to a clerk while telling them what you want to buy. It is impossible. The human brain does not work that way. If you think the bad guy would not have gotten the position on you, you re fooling yourself.

2) The entangled gunfight for citizens does happen. If not the actual actions involved, then the range. And once again, another video shows it in detail. It also shows how bad and dangerous the situation is when you don’t have a good skillset to handle the problem. The good guy was incredibly lucky that he was not shot repeatedly starting at the 1:01 mark. The only thing that kept him alive was the bad guy not firing for whatever reason. It was not because he couldn’t; he had the time and position to do so. The good guy used up all his luck, probably for the rest of his life.

3) Notice how the bad guy kept the good guy at bay for so long. It was all about the collar control of the good guy’s shirt. What does that resemble? No-gi grappling? Nope. It is straight out of the gi grip fighting playbook of BJJ/Judo/Sambo. This is why I laugh so much when “experts” will pontificate about how it is unrealistic to train with a gi. Really? I don’t know where those experts hang around at, so it might be normal for them, but I have yet to fight a greased up naked dude. There are always useful cloth handles.

4) Dominant Positional Control is what wins fights. If you do not have the skill to gain and maintain said control, then you attacker has just as much ability and chances to hurt you as you do him and only luck or medical science will keep you alive. That is not how I plan to survive – to chance.

5) The good guy finally had the time and distance to get his gun out way after he should have been shot multiple times. If you think you could have got your gun out sooner, I would suggest you test that with a dedicated resisting partner and UTMs. You will be amazed at how little opportunity you truly have.

6) The only reason the ECQC fight stops is the same reason so many don’t happen in the first place – it was the bad guy’s decision. He decided to get out. The good guy did not stop him. Nor did the good guy “win”. He survived totally on the unwillingness of the bad guy to continue the fight and his unwillingness to shoot. Again, if your survival plan is entirely based on hoping the other guy gives up, I suggest you maintain an excellent life insurance policy for your next of kin.
    Last edited by ricco; 06-12-2018, 18:08.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

I'll simply say this: just because you have a pistol (or other means of SD) doesn't mean that you'll always be able to get to it This was a prime example.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

That was an easy draw compared to what it could have been. The BG was not prepared to use nor did he want to use real violence or lethal force. He had numerous opportunities and didn't. If he had ised lethal force the video would have ended the minute hoodie guy decided to turn around.

Well, after watching the video then going straight into commenting I read the text included with the posted videeo and absolutely agree. GG didn't earn anything. The BG gave it to him.

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
      I'll simply say this: just because you have a pistol (or other means of SD) doesn't mean that you'll always be able to get to it This was a prime example.
      If a person assumes they'll be able to get to their defensive tool they are setting themself up for failure.

The customer wearing the hoodie is obviously fairly fit yet he quickly lots steam after taking a couple strikes to the head while being controlled fairly easily by the BG.

How do you feel you would have faired?
      Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

How would I have fared?

20+ years ago I might have fared pretty well, I was getting punched a lot by people who knew how, getting punched was normal

Today, a couple of punches like that and I would probably hit the floor like a sack of potatos

Trading punches in what could be a life and death fight isn't the best plan, there's other stuff you can do but you have to get training, yeah I know, there's that ugly word again. Distance and timing are critical components and they have to be worked with a training partner, there is no other way to practice these things

Also, there is a scary difference, if a GG KO's a BG the GG will most likely get to "safe" place and call the cops, if a BG KO's a GG he might kill or a maim the GG for nothing more than the GG having the gall to fight back

BG's think different than GG's, refer to the thread posted earlier
        Last edited by ricco; 06-13-2018, 00:13.
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

I haven't been to a fair in probably five or six years. Did good then, saw a lot of old friends who came to town for the occasion, got a couple buffalo burgers, fun small-town parade, good times. No doubt could do just as well this year when the fair comes to town.

How would I fare in a similar confrontation as the video? Depends on a lot of things. Ace2
          Last edited by Ace; 06-13-2018, 01:17.
          Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
            How would I fare in a similar confrontation as the video? Depends on a lot of things. Ace2
            So you have no specific training or any semblance of a plan, you're just gonna make it up as you go.......good grief

Is that how you lead your life, do you never check the gas gauge, you just drive the car until stops running and then figure out what to do

Last edited by ricco; 06-13-2018, 00:17.

Comment

Nope, you're wrong, you got no idea what I said or meant. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                Nope, you're wrong, you got no idea what I said or meant. Ace2
                If I misunderstood, it's your fault for not saying what you mean

You're the one who said, "Depends on a lot of things", okay what does it depend on, the situation in the video seems to be clear, two people punching each other in the head

When a response to something so basic is left that open ended what other conclusion can be drawn

Comment

Missed it again. Here's a hint: 'fair', 'fare'. Ace2

Comment

He's just messing with you, ricco.
                    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

How do you feel you would have faired?
                      This is a serious question so it gets a serious answer. Not well at all. There was no time to react and the (presumably) BG attacked from the rear. and an additional factor was that there was no room to move around in the shop.

In this case, I would have been lunch.

Comment

He's just messing with you, ricco.
                        Of course, numbnuts is trying to take it off track but it's still early in the thread and I thought I would keep it going for awhile

Very sad that's all he has to offer

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

So you have no specific training or any semblance of a plan, you're just gonna make it up as you go.......good grief

Is that how you lead your life, do you never check the gas gauge, you just drive the car until stops running and then figure out what to do
                          He has little to no relevant training as can clearly be seen by not only the way he carries himself but the things he prefers to focus on and the way he responds. You said it perfectly in the other thread. The need to feel relevant even though he's clueless. Ace is a hack. Hell, he ends every post w/ Ace2 in some sort of DK like silliness. A sign of self esteem issues brought on by a lack of competency.

I knew a guy who would purposely misspell or mispronounce words to test the group's focus. Those who bit typically didn't have anything of substance to say so they resorted to commenting on the intentional mistakes. Those focused on the message, info being shared, the meat and potatoes likely never even noticed.

It's like people who get hung up on someone calling a magazine a clip. The only ones who typically say anything are the ones with the least knowledge. They just wanted to feel like they were part of the conversation.

Comment

This is a serious question so it gets a serious answer. Not well at all. There was no time to react and the (presumably) BG attacked from the rear. and an additional factor was that there was no room to move around in the shop.

In this case, I would have been lunch.
                            And think, this was a fairly tame encounter. BG definately didn't plan to or want to use violence. He had hoped and planned for the gun to intimidate people into submission. The gun is not the talisman he had thought.

Comment

Went ahead and watched the video; gotta wonder--what happened outside, after they were off camera? Why did the husky guy come out of the back empty-handed? Why didn't the lady stay back and keep the child safe(er)? Had 911 been called at that point? Why didn't the victim shove the bad guy away and access his pistol from the vaunted AIWB? (OK, that last one was just to poke a little fun.) But if we're MMQB'ing, those are some of the questions a good MMQB'er would come up with. Ace2

Comment

Working...
                              X