Now, let's talk ammo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now, let's talk ammo

We've had a pretty good few days discussing accuracy and reliability. Now, in the same vein, can we talk about defensive ammo?
    What is your personal criteria for choosing the ammo you trust to save your life? Price? Cool factor? Brand? Past results? Functionalness in your gun? Something else?
    Again, there is no right or wrong answer, just some informal non-scientific research for a possible future project---plus the fun of talking gun stuff. Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Usually, I'll have a good hollow-point in the gun and hardball in the moon clips or speedloaders.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Where there are no barriers other than clothing as would be the case with most CCW incidents people who are supposed to know about this stuff seem to like Gold Dot and HST because of their consistency, so those are my choice's

My opinion, the proven ability to feed and fire (consistency) are far more important than whatever magic sprials, scoring, plugs or other marketing gimmicks the manufacturer has imbued on the bullet
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Ace, I find myself carrying the GLOCK mostly, the load is std pressure Federal 115gr jhp. I bought two cases for the lovely bride to practice and carry in her 3913 as a low recoil load. Good enough for her, good enough for me.

Threefiftysevenmagnums get Federal 125gr jhp. I think you know why.

For the Colts, I have more kinds of ammo than Carters has pills. It is all std pressure 230 gr. No has told my 1911s they are supposed to be finicky.
        Originally posted by kscardsfan
        Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

IMHO Reliability comes first, then I normal go with law enforcement geared that's past the "tests". I also prefer to carry something that I can buy bullets for reloading. This enables me to mimic my carry loads cheaply. A few minutes over a chronograph and I can basically shoot my carry load equivalent for less than half the cost. So far the majority of my carry ammo has been Speer GDHPs:

125s in 357 SIG and 147s in 9mm.

I was carrying REM Bonded Golden Sabers for a while, but the bullet supply has dried up. I have a couple of boxes of the SIG ammo in .40 because I have a couple .40 barrels for my 357Sigs and those have the Sierra V-Crown bullets which are also available as components.
          The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........

Comment

Having to pick a factory load; nothing is going to satisfy everyone. I like the sweet spot that under-penetrates at distance but performs well directly at point blank ranges. I honestly like Liberty's gimmik ammo for carry. Go ahead and get your keyboard prepped for hammering. It's shown the most consistency of all factory ammo I've clocked. Point blank is where I presume I'd need it for a pistol. +P depending on the caliber (38spl), or "+P+" for 380, which I don't carry but have. After that, I don't believe in Hale Mary plays and I've seen too much variation from one box of factory loads to another to believe in high QC advertisement. I like several manufacturers depending on availability.

For pistols that were designed for ball ammo, Corbon PowR'ball is the only choice I like.

For all others: Hollow point, hard clad and in front of primer is where I like the bullets to set. The rest for me is just the color; or lack thereof, on the box.
            Last edited by fixxer; 07-02-2018, 18:49.
            For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
            And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
            And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
            And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
            -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
              Where there are no barriers other than clothing as would be the case with most CCW incidents people who are supposed to know about this stuff seem to like Gold Dot and HST because of their consistency, so those are my choice's

My opinion, the proven ability to feed and fire (consistency) are far more important than whatever magic sprials, scoring, plugs or other marketing gimmicks the manufacturer has imbued on the bullet
              Of these two, I'd carry GD in 38 special and HST 9 mm in my 986.
              Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

I am transitioning from Winchester +p+ Rangers to the Federal HST +p. 7/8s of the performance, at 2/3 the price.
                NRA Life Member
                Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

Of these two, I'd carry GD in 38 special and HST 9 mm in my 986.
                  Why is that?
                  Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Because he has them and they shoot better in the particular gun, or at least he thinks so.
                    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
                      Because he has them and they shoot better in the particular gun, or at least he thinks so.
                      Not only that, I am thinking of the added penetration and the ease of reloading. Granted, that reloading is not often needed, but if it comes down to it I'd rather be prepared for it than not.

Comment

20-30 years ago the Speer "Flying Ashtray" was criticized because it did not feed in all pistols.
                        Revolvers need slightly chamfered and auto-pistols need to be polished and throated.
                        Most modern pistols are designed to feed effective bullets. In 1911 the cartridge was designed to fit the gun. The gun was designed to be easy to manufacture with 1910 technology.
                        The Geneva Convention has limited military "thinking" and thus ammunition design.
                        The 5.56x45 with a 62-70 grain soft point designed for deer hunters would be a lot more effective on a battlefield.
                        Such a bullet in a civilian home defense rifle could get you chastised in court and the police administrators likely would not accept such a bullet.

The result is you may need multiple rounds to stop a drug addict on PCP or other drug who is attacking your home and family.

Of course you don't want to shoot your wife or daughter accidentally or even the neighbors.

If you're worried, a good bullet won't penetrate and kill the wife, daughter or neighbors such as FMJ might. An example, 50 years ago a kitten on our place was stepped on by a horse and its back was crushed. I had my Remington 700 .222 Remington Magnum with 48 grain Speer SX bullets with me. At a distance of about 5 feet I shot the kitten in the head and there was no exit wound. But the head turned inside out..

I keep a 20 round magazine in my AR loaded with a hunting bullet.

There are new and "better" bullets every year.
                        The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
                          An example, 50 years ago a kitten on our place was stepped on by a horse and its back was crushed. I had my Remington 700 .222 Remington Magnum with 48 grain Speer SX bullets with me. At a distance of about 5 feet I shot the kitten in the head and there was no exit wound. But the head turned inside out..
                          You really are this generations Fred Rogers.
                          Originally posted by kscardsfan
                          Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I think you meant the Hague Accord (or Hague something-or-other), it you are referring to only using non-expanding bullets in war; and I don't think the U.S. signed on to that. Ace2
                            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                              I think you meant the Hague Accord (or Hague something-or-other), it you are referring to only using non-expanding bullets in war; and I don't think the U.S. signed on to that. Ace2
                              We never ratified that proposal in the US along with quite a few proposals of the original Hagues. I see through Yale University online that we also never ratified the proposal to refrain from using poisonous gas attacks. But interestingly, you know who did ratify it according to Yale? Germany.
                              For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                              And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                              And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                              And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                              -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Working...
                              X