Now, let's talk ammo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post

You really are this generations Fred Rogers.
    It had a fatal injury because a 1,000 pound horse stepped on a 4 ounce kitten. I could have let it die over the next hour or so or I could have used the heel of my boot, but I had the rifle with so I used what was fastest and I'd bet the kitten never felt it.

I've taken many animals to the vet, called the vet for many others. I've sat up all night watching a horse with a broken leg so it wouldn't trash in the sling from the rafters. Anybody that works around animal knows that Bambi or Lamb Chop will either die painfully and slowly or kill you.

People laugh and joke about death because it a way of coping.

IF there is an afterlife there are several people I hope to become antiquated with to share old times. If there is no after-life what difference does it make?
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
      Because he has them and they shoot better in the particular gun, or at least he thinks so.
      better?

"...he thinks so." Based on what?

I don't particularly care what the answer is. I'm just making a point. So many people make decisions based on such meaningless things without any real reason why. I get that when we're deciding between colors of shirts, vehicles, and such but we're talking personal defense. There should be some substance behind our choices.
      Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by fixxer View Post
        We never ratified that proposal in the US along with quite a few proposals of the original Hagues. I see through Yale University online that we also never ratified the proposal to refrain from using poisonous gas attacks. But interestingly, you know who did ratify it according to Yale? Germany.

A few additional notations here fixxer, for context:

The Hague IV convention that "banned chemical weapons", did not.
        It banned SHELLS whose only purpose was to deploy chemical weapons.
        Declaration concerning the Prohibition of the Use of Projectiles with the Sole Object to Spread Asphyxiating Poisonous Gases
        Now, the US was the only major power to not sign this.

Also, in WW1 chemwarfare................ "France started it". Tear gas in 1914, the year before the German's gassed Belgium in 1915.
        The above declaration says NOTHING about retaliating after your opponent gasses you, that IS PERMITTED. It only "bans" The First Strike.
        So, everyone notes that Germany gassed France "in violation of the protocol they had signed",,, but, ignores that they did it LEGALLY.

It's the same thing with Expanding Bullets.
        It doesn't apply if you (a signatory) are at war with a non-signatory, AND it doesn't apply if the other signatory escalates to that use first. It's wide open then.

Also, in the early use of gas, there were no shells, they would wait for the wind to be right, manifold up a bunch of gas cylinders, and just open them to draft Chlorine over the French lines.

ALL use of Chemical weapons was not banned until 1925, 7 yrs after WW1. The Geneva Protocol to the Hague Conventions. The German's never used chemwar in WW2.
        We actually had a big release in Italy, of our poison gas weapons.

The US DID ratify this, with reservations in respect to dealing with an opponent who gasses US, in 1975.

Hague IV of 1899 we signed in 1900.,,, the Senate never Ratified it.
        We signed and ratified Hague of 1899 I, II, and III, we never signed V and VI.

Hangue 1907, We signed and ratified 1-5, 8-,11 13 and 14. We signed Hague of 1907 No.12, but the senate never ratified it. We never signed 6 or 7.
        Gone. Good riddance.
        Watch the **** storm continue without me.

Comment

The KSCCW thread turn

Brought to you by........THE HAUGE ACCORD

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

But please continue on with more irrelevant bull****
            "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Yeah, let's go back to the original subject--What is your criteria for choosing defensive ammo? Ace2
              Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

Not only that, I am thinking of the added penetration and the ease of reloading. Granted, that reloading is not often needed, but if it comes down to it I'd rather be prepared for it than not.
                One other thing is that in my 986 Federal and Remington has better ignition than the harder primers, which rules out the GD for that particular gun. However, in my Model 65, as well as my 357 L-frames, GD seems to work just fine.
                Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
                The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

G, I'd think a high-quality gun like your 986 should otta ignite any primer in any name-brand ammo. Sounds like yours has a problem. You'd probably otta send it to me, with all accessories and a few boxes of ammo, and let me take a look at it. I'll send it back when I'm done with it. Ace2
                  Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                    Yeah, let's go back to the original subject--What is your criteria for choosing defensive ammo? Ace2
                    Like Ricco said. Irrelevant B.S. You fancy yourself a firearms instructor and don't even realize. Hack.
                    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

G, I'd think a high-quality gun like your 986 should otta ignite any primer in any name-brand ammo. Sounds like yours has a problem. You'd probably otta send it to me, with all accessories and a few boxes of ammo, and let me take a look at it. I'll send it back when I'm done with it. Ace2
                      What a guy!!!
                      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
                      The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

When this thread is done I'll give my opinion on self defense ammo...........again

Comment

My process for picking out a carry load is fairly quick and boring:

1.) Pull up Doctor Gary K Roberts ammo list and find a few options that meet his approval for my desired caliber and barrel length. As much as I wish I could, I don't have the time nor budget to test every possible load out there in auto glass, layered denim, construction materials, bare ballistic gel, etc... My time is better spent short-cutting that process by leveraging DocGKR's findings, verifying functionality in my firearm, and then getting back to training and practicing.
                          2.) After selecting a few options from DocGKR's list, I buy a few hundred and shoot them. Do they feed, fire, and extract reliably? Is the recoil impulse easily controllable for quick/accurate follow up shots?
                          3.) Are they easily available at a reasonable price to ordinary CCW folk like myself? The best ammo in the world does me no good if it's only in stock once every 6 months. It also does me no good if I can't afford to regularly cycle it through my gun and practice with it.
                          4.) Is there a comparable FMJ load that reasonably mirrors the carry load's recoil impulse and POI?

Ultimately I ended up selecting HST 147gr for carry and Speer Lawman 147gr FMJ for practice due to how well it mirrors recoil impulse.

Of course I also found that Speer Gold Dots satisfied items 1, 2, and 4. The deciding factor between the two was item 3: Last time I ordered carry ammo in bulk, HST's were cheaper and easier to get ahold of.

Comment

metallurgy and pressure ratings of firearms keep ammo from making next step. Metallic smokeless powder>muzzle loader> ect......
                            PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Because it's my decision, my choice, and I have a 'right' to 'choice' by my 'right to privacy'.
                              Gone. Good riddance.
                              Watch the **** storm continue without me.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
                                When this thread is done I'll give my opinion on self defense ammo...........again
                                OS chimed in, if we have gotten that point it's done

If the injury is not above the neck or cervical spine bullets kill by exsanguination (blood loss)

When the brain fails to receive oxygenated blood there will be a loss of consciousness

That's it, that's how it works

If it makes a person feel better he can believe that a couple of hundred feet per second or a hundreth of a inch of bullet diameter will make a difference, but it doesn't

It does make great fodder for gun magazines and forums though and it's also great for the "magic" bullet makers

People stop fighting for one of four reasons, a lower brain injury flips the "lights out" switch, the spinal cord is severed above the shoulders, oxygenated blood fails to reach the brain or and this is by far the most typical reason, they just don't want to fight anymore

We hear over and over about shooting the high center of the chest, should a person succeed in hitting the heart the person who is shot will still be able to fight for a minimum of 10-15 seconds, if that person wants to continue to fight

Go to 1:04:00 as Forensic Patholoigist Dr Vincent Di Maio describes the result of being shot in the heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjZmp4B8IHs&t=3948s

What defensive handgun bullet is used is meaningless, the typical CCW fight is over in less than 5 seconds, of course there are outliers that we can what if, "Well yeah, but what if...........", that's fine, if you want to assume the least likely rather than the most likely that's what you should do

From Tom Givens 2014 Rangemaster Conference

64 of Tom’s students have been involved in gunfights. 62 won. In Tom’s analysis of these 64 events, he found that the “average” gunfight:

– Was the result of an armed robbery or home invasion

– 1-2 suspects were highly likely

– 3+ subjects were not uncommon

– The range was between three and seven yards

– “3 shots at 3 steps in 3 seconds”

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...cal-conference

As of late we see BG's being shot multiple times, and of course there comes the outcry of, "Why did they have to shoot him so many times"

They shot him so many times because that is what works, there's no magic bullet, there's no magic spot, if the BG want's to keep fighting he will until oxygenated blood no longer reaches the brain

But by all means keep believing the myth that this or that bullet or caliber or whatever else makes any real difference in a 3 second, 10 feet CCW self defense gunfight if you want, if nothing else it makes for gun forum discussions

And all of this is why we move, it's more about your ability to get out of the way than guns, bullets and gee gaws

Last edited by ricco; 07-14-2018, 01:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X