Accuracy\Precision criteria for .22?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accuracy\Precision criteria for .22?

Been working with some .22 rifles, sighting in and fine tuning, and got to wondering: What level of accuracy do you (anybody who cares to contribute) expect from a squirrel or rabbit hunting gun? For example, at what distance would you expect to make head shots, or just be happy with hitting the critter through the ribs? With a scope or open sights? As to scopes, what power do you consider suitable for the purpose?

As in other subjects I've brought up here, I'm curious about personal preferences; there is no right or wrong answer. Now, let the fun begin. Ace2
    ​​​​
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Personal preference? I shoot an ancient 10-22 and have had an ancient Remington target/match 22. The Ruger has a very ancient 4x Burris scope on it and can reliably sandbag 2” groups at 25 yards. The Remington, with old Lyman peep sights, was capable of 1 or better at 25 yards. Probably with practice I could get better accuracy from either. If I were hunting, I would not expect to do better than center of mass out at 50 yards or so. I’m starting to shop for a new 10-22 even as we speak.
    Last edited by digger; 09-09-2018, 05:27.

Comment

Went 22ing with my brother and son. My son had a home build Kidde 10/22, Gary had a Volquartsen build 10/22 and I ran a Walmart 10/22. We set up a Susan B dollar at about 70 yards, and the boy hit it first. I would consider that a squirrel exterminator
      Originally posted by kscardsfan
      Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Varmint gun 22:
        Scope: Fixed power (cheaper, lighter, more robust and honestly, when do you every change magnification on the fly with a variable?)
        Power: No less than 3, no more than 9. Too much power and you lose all your field of view. Squirrels are too squirrely for me to follow with no field of view.

Rifle accuracy: 25 yards, 3MOA. That's 3/4" at 25 yards and achievable by most factory rifles. With a little stabilization, that would a good day unless you're a squirrel.

The entire setup could be had for around $250 with a box of good ammo. This puts it squarely in the obtainable budget for for most families.
        For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
        And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
        And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
        And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
        -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

"Squirrel" guns that I have are a Ruger 10-22 "Deluxe" and a Ruger 77-22 both topped with Leupold VX3 Compact 3x9 scopes.

Accuracy is right about 1.5" at 50 yards with CCI Mini-Mags. I prefer to make head shots, but will center punch them if I don't have a decent shot.
          The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........

Comment

I feel ammo has a lot to do with accuracy. I would recommend not breaking the sound barrier if you want the most accuracy. I have been looking for a good .22lr for a while. Accuracy is my number 1 priority.
            PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
              I feel ammo has a lot to do with accuracy. I would recommend not breaking the sound barrier if you want the most accuracy. I have been looking for a good .22lr for a while. Accuracy is my number 1 priority.
              I agree, but I also figure intended use comes into play. I have a target .22LR with a Douglass air gauged barrel, for that I use Eley match which is a little over $16 for 50rds. It is a very accurate combination which I used for small bore silhouette. But, it's also a solid point and probably not the best round for whacking squirrels other than head shots.

In this case we're hunting squirrels from various field positions, so the required accuracy isn't quite as stringent. Also it can be quite a bit of testing to find "THE" .22LR round for a particular rifle, some guys have multiple rimfires. For them a load that works well in the majority of their guns is probably the way to go.
              The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........

Comment

How far away can you see a squirrel? Standard velocity or target ammo is more consistent from most rifles. Fifty years ago I had two "squirrel rifles" that were also used for indoor gallery competition. I had a Lyman Targetmaster 15x scope, the kind that was mounted in a micrometer mount and would slide under recoil, meaning that te scope remained motionless
                One rifle was an understudy for the Remington 40XB National Match rifle with the heavy barrel, It weighed about 11-12 pounds.
                Either was capable of picking which eye out to 40-50 yards. Just seeing a squirrel half a block away was more of a challenge than hitting it once you saw it.

This is the light barrel version and looks like my rifle. The heavy barrel had zero taper and was full diameter for its 27-1/4" length.

My scope was ike this...

For fun I had a 375 H&H Remington 700 Safari and I had some handloads with a Lyman 37583 cast bullet and 10 grain of Unique. The bullet was a conical ball intended for a 36 caliber cap&ball revolver. The fun was watch some farmer who had given permission to hunt squirrels in his trees when you pulled the bolt back 5 inches and loaded an "elephant" cartridge. Of course it was less powerful than a 38 Special but you could shoot a squirrel hiding behind a branch.

The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

All head shots 175 yards, swfa scope, on CZ 455. Imho.
                  "Boards!!! Do not hit back!!" Bruce Lee
                  "Luck favors the prepared"
                  "You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. And if you're smart, that scares you. Because I have nothing to lose. I mean to beat you to death, and drink your blood from a boot." Jack Reacher

Comment

I have a 10-22 with a 3X9X40 Nikon scope that shoots less than an inch moa at 50 yards. I think the rounds are 36 grain JHP at 1236fps or something like that. They are the most accurate in that carbine. I tried some lighter faster rounds but accuracy just wasn't there. Sticking around 1100 to 1300 fps seems to work for stock 1022s. Also work in my Ruger MarkIII Target pistol. Very accurate out to 25 yards. The 1022 is even pretty accurate at 100 yards but I have to hold about 5 inches high and still get 3 inch groups. And flyers are a way of life with any 22LR LOL.
                    I'm probably on the list. Don't laugh. So are you!
                    Multi-Tasking is great until you actually have to accomplish something.
                    I quit playing by other peoples rules. They are not written with my best interests in mind.

Comment

Yeah, at 175 yards, I'd have to use the sights.....

I started with a unknown-make single-shot at about four or five years of age. Daddy would hold the gun up, and I'd press the trigger. According to Daddy's exclamations, I musta been a pretty good shot back then.
                      About nine years old, Dad came home with a Remington Model 12 pump rifle, still got it in the cabinet (need to take it out for old times sake this season). After I learned how to use it right, we would sit in the back yard and shoot walnuts out of the trees and clip sunflowers and dandelion stems with it. Not bad for a pretty plain utility .22. Shot a lot of furry critters over the years, and some feathered ones, too. For a long time, I didn't know about trajectory, and quite a few shots were at distances out of line for a .22 (not all head shots, of course). After I learned about bullet drop, it got harder to hit things way our there ('way out there' would be, say 50-75-100 yards).
                      After Dad died, I got my first semi-auto, with a skinny little Weaver 4x scope on it---the gun is gone, but still have the scope. Opened up a whole new world for me, I was shooting things I couldn't see with the naked eye. Shooting sunflowers off the stems got to be picking the petal. That bit of learning translated later into high-powers, and that was a long learning curve--which is still going.

Currently I'm working with three rifles, a 1022 Compact, a standard 1022, and an American Compact (can you tell I like Rugers?). The ammo I'm playing with now is Remington SubSonic Hollowpoint, CCI MiniMag, and CCI Velocitors. If things work out for timing, I'll get back to the range and figure out which ammo is best with which gun. THEN I have to figure out which will ride in the truck on a regular basis.

Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming. I'm learning stuff. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by F = ma View Post
                        All head shots 175 yards, swfa scope, on CZ 455. Imho.
                        I have a 455 Lux! It's basically the same thing with hooded irons and a long barrel. I had no idea they could be this accurate. I need to find the right ammo for that thing. I bought it to work on iron sight skills and I like it a lot. I also happen to have a couple SWFA scopes and have been very pleased with them.
                        For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                        And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                        And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                        And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                        -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Took all three to the range the other day, the American has selected the Velocitor as its round of choice; seems to be pretty much to same POI at 25 and 50 yards. Gonna put a higher magnification scope on it, double check, and if it's as good as it looks to be, well, there it is.
                          The compact 1022 still likes the SubSonic Remington load, so that's what I'll be using in it. Probably leave the 2.5x scope on it, unless I decide to put a red dot on it for the rare occasion I go out after running bunnies.
                          The cheap red dot on the 'regular' 1022 pooped out on me--did I mention it was cheap?--so ordered a better one when I ordered the 4x scope for the American.

So, should I put a red dot on the little 1022, and scope the other one? Would a compact rifle be more conducive to quick shots at running bunnies than the slightly larger one? Just looking for input. Thanks. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            Took all three to the range the other day, the American has selected the Velocitor as its round of choice; seems to be pretty much to same POI at 25 and 50 yards. Gonna put a higher magnification scope on it, double check, and if it's as good as it looks to be, well, there it is.
                            The compact 1022 still likes the SubSonic Remington load, so that's what I'll be using in it. Probably leave the 2.5x scope on it, unless I decide to put a red dot on it for the rare occasion I go out after running bunnies.
                            The cheap red dot on the 'regular' 1022 pooped out on me--did I mention it was cheap?--so ordered a better one when I ordered the 4x scope for the American.

So, should I put a red dot on the little 1022, and scope the other one? Would a compact rifle be more conducive to quick shots at running bunnies than the slightly larger one? Just looking for input. Thanks. Ace2
                            LOL for bunny runners a 12 gauge is the best medicine but yea a red dot would work better then a scope since you have a bigger field of view. It's always a challenge but fun as hell. Heck I like my Ruger Mark III Target with open sights for bunnies that have common sense . I have a red-dot for it but since I am farsighted the dot is just a blur so it doesn't help me much. Maybe I'll put it on the 10-22 and see how that works. Like scopes though since I can actually see something as long as it ain't moving LOL......
                            I'm probably on the list. Don't laugh. So are you!
                            Multi-Tasking is great until you actually have to accomplish something.
                            I quit playing by other peoples rules. They are not written with my best interests in mind.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm doing this thread just to keep things a littler lighter than it has been. I'm fond of .22's in general, got way too many of them. Started seriously (sorta) working on load and accuracy issues recently because I've been hearing from some old farmers that this winter is supposed to be a 'real' winter, with lots more snow than the last few years; on top of that, the rabbit population seems to be higher than it has been for years, out west where the brother does a lot of his hunting. We're planning to try a few trips out there to focus on bunnies in some of the old abandoned homesteads, try to put a supply in the freezer. Of course, if it happens to be deer season too, we'll look for a couple of those.

I also have a dandy little Wingmaster .410 that I'd be happy to wring out---kicks less than a 12ga, and easier to do head shots with. Shell are more expensive, though.

The scope and red dot should otta be here tomorrow, so hopefully I can get them mounted, then hit the range later in the week and have some more fun.

I'm also open to suggestions closer to home where there are ample opportunities for rabbits and tree rats. Can't walk for hours like BITD, so easy pickin's is good. Ace2

Comment

Working...
                              X