Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Weapons: American vs. German 1943 War Department (US Army); World War II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ricco View Post

I guess you're right I shoulda mentioned logistics in post #5
    In the Civil War, the South out fought the North as long as they had the supplies.
    But the North had the railroads and could move an entire army with supplies overnight hundreds of miles. The North also had te naval power with a bigger Navy.

In the Revolution, the Americans defeated the British at Bred's Hill [ Bunker Hill ] until we ran out of powder.

Inn Europe, by 1940 food, fuel, weapons were being delivered to England. Also England was bombing French ports and Germany factories. By 1942 the America 8th Air Force was bombing Germany by day and England was bombing at night. The Germans moved factories underground or into "cottage industries" making airplane parts to be assembled underground or in isolated buildings.
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post

And American Doctrine, our field commanders were generally free to adjust actions are required and get permission/approval later.
      As did the Germans - initiative was rewarded. As does any competent military operation. It is widely recognized that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, and it's generally far better to do the wrong thing than to do nothing.
      "In Heaven there will be no law, and the lion will lie down with the Lamb... In Hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will Be meticulously observed". - Professor Grant Gilmore, Yale Law School

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GMC70 View Post

As did the Germans - initiative was rewarded. As does any competent military operation. It is widely recognized that no battle plan survives contact with the enemy, and it's generally far better to do the wrong thing than to do nothing.
        I was thinking of the German Generals not deploying reserve armor to Normandy because Hitler was sleeping.
        At squad or company level I'm pretty sure that deployment was under the control of an officer.

But consider this... The ME 262 was a fighter plane that was more than 100 mph faster than the P51 Mustang. It was ready to go into full production in 1943 and would have had air superiority over Europe. Our bombing of Germany woulds not have been possible. D Day couldn't have happened without US air superiority.
        Hitler saw the ME 262 and wanted it as a bomber. That delay doomed NAZI armies.

The Messerschmitt Me 262, nicknamed Schwalbe in fighter versions, or Sturmvogel in fighter-bomber versions, was the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft. Wikipedia

Top speed: 559 mph
        Wingspan: 41′ 0″
        First flight: April 18, 1941
        Designer: Willy Messerschmitt
        Manufacturer: Messerschmitt

The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
          Starting the war was a serious error.
          yessss
          Last edited by deerhunter; 11-09-2018, 02:33.
          PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Muslims assasinated Arch Duke Ferdinand in Bosnia. Various treaties kicked in and soon WWI was going. The War was "settled"and the Treaty of Versailles sought to punish Germany.
            Germany paid the debt to France and England by printing money which made the Mark worthless. The Great Depression world wide was a result as was te rise of Hitler.
            WWI round 2 began in the 1930s. Hitler set out to reclaim what had been German provenances and he did get :back" several small countries under German control.
            There were protests by French and British governments. But then Hitler invaded Poland and they was a defense treaty. WWII began.
            Maybe Hitler pushed into Poland because he wasn't stopped before. He signed a peace treaty with USSR/Russia which he always intended to break.
            If Hitler had been slower, more cautious Germany would have developed not just jets, but ICBMS and the A bomb. The V2 was Germany to England, but they were just beginning test on the V9 the NY Rocket.

Comment

Working...
            X