The Insane Live Among Us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Insane Live Among Us

The movies portray the insane killer in a way that's easy to see, in reality they have jobs, drive cars, pay bills and tend to lead somewhat normal appearing lives until they don't

A friend told me about this Sunday, I pass it along here, it is almost unbelivable

William Aprill
    4 hrs ·

An addict, maybe; a disgraced former nurse, certainly; a minor grifter trailing bad debts and petty scams behind her, clearly. But a brutal killer, freely admitting to an senseless and utterly remorseless murder in broad daylight traffic? How could it be? The contours of the event may initially scan as “road rage” or “snapping”, but the offender’s own words point to significant premeditation after becoming “upset” and hint at a certain amount of gusto in announcing the details of her savage and disfiguring attack. The more complete picture is one of righteous indignation at yet another example of being forced to deal with the insignificant idiots who befoul her path and delay her in her tasks for no reason beyond their own incompetence. In other words, the event was an instance of the peculiar justice that only a sociopath relishes meting out. For further evidence toward that impression, consider the look of pride in her mugshot; no guilty averted gaze on display, far from it. Never presume that trivial encounters are categorically safe merely because WE have no intention of erupting into violence. Good risk management means reminding ourselves that we don’t know what motivates strangers, always maintaining some reactionary advantage, and believing that the worst among us are ever closer than we would prefer...
    #thinkhardtrainhard #bedangerous #aprillriskconsulting

https://www.facebook.com/william.apr...TCkLBc&fref=nf
    Last edited by ricco; 12-04-2018, 20:24.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

We see the I wouldn't do it, I don't think that way, I can't fathom that so therefore I don't think anyone else does or could all the time. When victims or family of victims say things like, I can't believe... or I would have never guessed.

I'm heavy into true crime podcasts and a common theme is these killers tend to lead two different lives. My latest interest is the East Area Rapist/Original Knight Stalker/Golden State Killer. During the first year of his killing/raping he was a police officer. Look at BTK. That dude did all sorts of stuff to fool people. A reminder to never get to relaxed and complacent.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Most serial killers are not insane in the legal sense, because they know the difference between right and wrong. Also their acts are not, I believe, the product of a mental defect or disease. Rather, they kill due to a character defect.. Simply put, they kill for the sheer pleasure of it. They don't see those they kill as people like them, but as a disposable object, they regard others as things to be harvested and then discarded. much like cattle or livestock.

An example of this might be Jame Gumb, 'Buffalo Bill' in the very true-to-life film The Silence of the Lambs. I noticed how he kept referring to the Senator's daughter as 'it'. He did not view her as a real person--a 'she'--but as an 'it'. "It rubs the lotion on it's skin. It does this whenever it's told." Gumb is not at all unique among serial killers.either. Thomas Harris, the writer of the book spent considerable time with the BSU, and both the book and the film, which follows the book quite well, are very realistic.

Ann Rule, who knew Ted Bundy, has written several excellent books on these people. John Douglas and Roy Hazelwood of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit have as well. Donald Rumbelow, (retired) of the City of London Police, is an authority on the 1888 Ripper murders.

Ricco is quite correct in that the picture many have of the insane (which, BTW, is a legal and not a medical term) are not grossly dissimilar in appearance to most others.
      Last edited by gerhard1; 12-06-2018, 13:47. Reason: typo
      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
      The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

I would have to disagree. Though many are not found to be legally insane far to many share a similar past of sexual and physical abuse as well as head trauma and an abnormal exposure to violence and death at an early age. Of the many serial killers/rapists I have researched and studied on my own accord as well as for school I cannot recall one ever stating they killed for sheer pleasure/the sole purpose of pleasure. In fact there are a few who didn't want to kill but stated there was some sort of force driving them to do so. A hatred for women, sexual sadism, curiosity, satinism, etc.

Another thing I should add is, though not most, a peculiar number of these serial killers had military service in their background. It was usually short lived butt I found it interesting.

They knowingly put on a facade as a way to cover their deviant behavior.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
          Most serial killers are not insane in the legal sense, because they know the difference between right and wrong. Also their acts are not, I believe, the product of a mental defect or disease. Rather, they kill due to a character defect.. Simply put, they kill for the sheer pleasure of it. They don't see those they kill as people like them, but as a disposable object, they regard others as things to be harvested and then discarded. much like cattle or livestock.

An example of this might be Jame Gumb, 'Buffalo Bill' in the very true-to-life film The Silence of the Lambs. I noticed how he kept referring to the Senator's daughter as 'it'. He did not view her as a real person--a 'she'--but as an 'it'. "It rubs the lotion on it's skin. It does this whenever it's told." Gumb is not at all unique among serial killers.either. Thomas Harris, the writer of the book spent considerable time with the BSU, and both the book and the film, which follows the book quite well, are very realistic.

Ann Rule, who knew Ted Bundy, has written several excellent books on these people. John Douglas and Roy Hazelwood of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit have as well. Donald Rumbelow, (retired) of the City of London Police, is an authority on the 1888 Ripper murders.

Ricco is quite correct in that the picture many have of the insane (which, BTW, is a legal and not a medical term) are not grossly dissimilar in appearance to most others.
          Yes, you are correct, insane is legal term and what you wrote made me curious

In Missouri insanity can be used as a legal defense whereas Kansas does not allow an insanity defense but a person can be judged unfit to stand trial

Montana, Idaho and Utah also not allow insanity as a defense

I guess I probably should change the title because the lady does know the difference in right and wrong, she just doesn't care
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Since we are on the topic, some may find this of interest

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ath-psychopath

What is a Sociopath?

A sociopath is actually a person with antisocial personality disorder. Antisocial personality disorder is defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the book which contains the diagnostic criteria for mental illnesses) as a cluster B personality disorder (those that are dramatic or emotional).

While sociopathy can only be diagnosed at the age of 18 or above, the following must be present before the age of 15 for the diagnosis:
            • Repeated violations of the law
            • Pervasive lying and deception
            • Physical aggressiveness
            • Reckless disregard for safety of self or others
            • Consistent irresponsibility in work and family environments
            • Lack of remorse
            Psychopath vs. Sociopath

Psychopathy can be thought of as a more severe form of sociopathy with more symptoms. Therefore, all psychopaths are sociopaths but sociopaths are not necessarily psychopaths.

According to the Society for the Study of Psychopathy, psychopath traits include:
            • Lack of guilt/remorse
            • Lack of empathy
            • Lack of deep emotional attachments
            • Narcissism
            • Superficial charm
            • Dishonesty
            • Manipulativeness
            • Reckless risk-taking
            Moreover, approximately 93% of psychopaths are in the criminal justice system.

Comment

Working...
            X