Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Things Put You In A Nursing Home: How to AVOID it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Things Put You In A Nursing Home: How to AVOID it!

Number 1 reason;

FALLS

Why do people fall, most often it is because of poor posture, poor posture results in poor balance, poor balance causes people to drag their feet, dragging the feet causes trips and yeah you guessed it, trips cause falls

Poor posture comes from a lack of strength, strengthen your core and ankles, it takes work

Of course there is also Tai Chi and Yoga

Sugar and tobacco in moderation

You don't have to like it, you just have to do it

Unless spending your golden years in a nursing home sounds good to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53UWdTJkaE
    Last edited by ricco; 12-05-2018, 02:41.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Originally posted by ricco View Post
    Number 1 reason;

FALLS

Why do people fall, most often it is because of poor posture, poor posture results in poor balance, poor balance causes people to drag their feet, dragging the feet causes trips and yeah you guessed it, trips cause falls

Poor posture comes from a lack of strength, strengthen your core and ankles, it takes work

Of course there is also Tai Chi and Yoga

Sugar and tobacco in moderation

You don't have to like it, you just have to do it

Unless spending your golden years in a nursing home sounds good to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53UWdTJkaE
    My wife, at my request, has been telling me when I slouch. You're quite correct, ricco in what you say here, but I'll add one more thing: poor posture makes you a lot more tired than standing up straight. I had a terrible slouch and was getting very tired as a result and I am doing a lot better thanks to my wife.

Good reminder: thank you.
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Almost 12 years ago I fell backward while trying to remove a broken branch from a tree. When the branch came loose I fell backward and landed on concrete without any cushion. My head struck the concrete and I suffered a concussion and injured my inner ear balance.
      For 60 years I could tell directions in a closed room or a forest since the high iron level in my blood made my ears act like a compass.

I<y posture is fine, but my balance is not good in the dark. I need to see to be steady.
      The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
      If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
      I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

I was talking with some people in my Tai Chi class about posture and falls

One of ladies was telling me that has been trying to get her husband to come to class, he refuses

Without doing a count I'm guessing that the ladies outnumber the men in class by 3-4 to 1. maybe more

I supposed it was the nature of the exercise, maybe not rough and tumble enough for manly men

So I started paying attention at the gym to 60+ year old crowd and again women far outnumber men so the type of exercise doesn't seem to matter

So what is it, do most men not care about their health
        Last edited by ricco; 12-07-2018, 03:46.
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Is it societal?
          Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

One of ladies was telling me that has been trying to get her husband to come to class, he refuses

Without doing a count I'm guessing that the ladies outnumber the men in class by 3-4 to 1. maybe more

I supposed it was the nature of the exercise, maybe not rough and tumble enough for manly men

So I started paying attention at the gym to 60+ year old crowd and again women far outnumber men so the type of exercise doesn't seem to matter

weight training is statistically one of the safest way to exercise. It helps build bone density at any age as well.
            PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

I finally had the opportunity to watch the video. Weight seems to be one of the biggest issues for people when it comes to staying healthy and living life as comfortably as possible. It seems to contribute to most issues. I've noticed it in myself. I've had lots of things change in my life over the last couple of uears throwing off my normal schedule for just about everything. My sleep and eating habits being the most noticeably effected. This has translated into some weight gain. My health is generally good as it always has been but my comfort level both physically and psychologically has taken a hit. I've probably put on 20 pounds in the last 1.5 years. Bad weight. All in the middle area. My flexibility has suffered as has my stamina. Going from 170 pounds with abs and all that good stuff to almost 200 pounds in 10 years hasn't been good for my psyche. Granted I've become a lot less active due to marriage and kids as well as employment in those 10 years but still...

Before the end of the year the wife and I will be turning one of the extra guest rooms into a weight/cardio room. I have young kids I want to see grow up and a previous self I'd like to revisit. I'm tired of hearing myself grunt when I stand up due to the deminished flexibility.
              Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
                Is it societal?
                I don't know

From my very UNscientific observation it appears that in the under 30 year old group the numbers are about equal but as we age the numbers begin to shift to the womens side

In times past when jobs tended to be more physical the majority of men were either too tired from the days labor or just hurt too much

This isn't as true today, yes there are still many jobs that require physical labor but they are becoming fewer and fewer

There is a psychological factor in play, in 3 weeks gyms everywhere will spike in membership and in 90 days the majority will be gone, we will even see a spike in Tai Chi class attendance

I think people want to be better but for most the results come so slowly they lose interest and once we get to that 60 year old mark results don't appear to come at all, but they do happen

Comment

Women tend to be more open minded. I've found women receive instruction and improve quicker, IME. I've had females that were rocks too and had no use for information that didn't come from whoever they considered a queen bee, but most of them are absolute sponges when it comes to information and formal training.
                  For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                  And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                  And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                  And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                  -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Back when I had occasion to give instruction on bows'n'arrows at the archery shop, it was always--always--easier to teach a lady when her husband/boyfriend/daddy/brother/whatever wasn't there to 'help'. Had one guy who was getting in the way of her learning anything; asked him politely if he would mind running up the road a ways and get us some hamburgers, since I had missed lunch. He was willing, and by the time he got back, she was shooting really well. The burgers were good, too.
                    Have seen the same thing teaching ladies with pistols. I'd make a guess teaching them martial arts and hand-to-hand stuff would be the same. Ace2
                    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Working...
                    X