Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Best Holsters and Positions? - Overweight Operator"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Best Holsters and Positions? - Overweight Operator"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWbFX91dfLI
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

    "Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

  • #2
    People have many mismatched sizes. Some people have wide shoulders but short arms. Such people have a hard time wiping #2. Some people have short arms, small/medium size hands. long torso, short legs [short inseam]
    Fitting a gun and a holster can be difficult. Add excess weight and drawing from an off-hand may not be possible.

    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
      People have many mismatched sizes. Some people have wide shoulders but short arms. Such people have a hard time wiping #2. Some people have short arms, small/medium size hands. long torso, short legs [short inseam]
      Fitting a gun and a holster can be difficult. Add excess weight and drawing from an off-hand may not be possible.
      All the more reason for having the gun as close to centerline as possible.

      Though hand size, wingspan, inseam, etc. do vary it's not difficult to find a carry gun that fits the hand appropriately.

      Could you please explain to me how a gun should fit the hand? What are some of the more important things we're looking for when determining if a handgun fits our hand?

      Failure is an opportunity to learn.

      Comment


      • #4
        Good, fair video.

        Personally, as I have said many times, the 3:00 o'clock position is what I carry in as it is comfortable, concealing and reasonably fast for me. There is no one method of carry that is best for everyone.
        Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
        The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
        I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ya gotta do what works best for you, right? Ace2
          Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ace View Post
            Ya gotta do what works best for you, right? Ace2
            absolutely not only posers wannabes and clinging old relics not really interested in buzzword self-defense 'facts' fail to go aiwb.
            Gone. Good riddance.
            Watch the **** storm continue without me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ace View Post
              Ya gotta do what works best for you, right? Ace2
              Precisely. Attempting to make everyone conform to one type of handgun, one type of holster, always carried in one position doesn't work.
              Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
              The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
              I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ace View Post
                Ya gotta do what works best for you, right? Ace2
                I absolutely agree.

                However, not what we believe or perceive works "best" based on limited knowledge and exposure as well as information or what we believe to be comfortable as in is the bath water at a comfortable temp.

                Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

                Precisely. Attempting to make everyone conform to one type of handgun, one type of holster, always carried in one position doesn't work.
                Please explain how it doesn't work similarly from person to person not from an emotional angle but from that of body mechanics in the context of self defense?

                Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
                Good, fair video.

                Personally, as I have said many times, the 3:00 o'clock position is what I carry in as it is comfortable, concealing and reasonably fast for me. There is no one method of carry that is best for everyone.
                Reasonably fast as compared to? In what context?

                You may very well be right in that there is no best method of carry for everyone. Does that have any influence on what may be the most efficient method of carry over the broadest range of likely circumstances? Why do I ask this? Well, because "best" is generally something that spawns from perception, even emotion. For example you use wording like "comfortable" and "reasonably fast" but don't provide any sort of support for those claims. You are also someone who has taken 2 training courses in your lifetime which doesn't provide you with a lot of data for making comparisons.

                --

                Still waiting for someone to explain how barring significant injury or deformation or handicap one human's skeletal and/or muscular system functions differently than that of another's.

                We can even venture into the realm of natural reaction as well. Who's hands, not counting some freak occurrence, aren't likely to move toward the center of the body whether that's up, down or whatever? Specifically in-line with the perceived threat? If we look into natural reactions in this context we'll also see that people are likely to orient toward the perceived threat as well.

                Do we base our choices on opinion or?
                Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here's a link to a discussion on this same video. Everyone should probably give it a read.

                  http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...this-real-life
                  Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Half a Century ago, Illinois State Police adopted the S&W Model 39. They selected a very well made flull flaps holster and belt.
                    The Superintendent's wife wanted all the troopers to "look sharp." As a result the outfit did not include any spare ammunition or spare magazines.
                    This was before +P or JHP ammo was available too.
                    Several troopers died because the single stack Model 39 using plain JRN solids was not a stopper. It was accurate enough.
                    It did not take a long time before the ILL State Police ONLY 9mm load was developed and adopted.
                    +P was adopted as a SAAMI spec eventually.
                    The super's wife was told to stay out of the troopers' life and a mag pouch was allowed on the duty belt. Then the Model 59 with a double stack magazine was adopted.

                    But just like the military, some people are required to use a committee selected gun, ammo and method of carry. Maybe the physical fitness standard existed just so the gun belt and gun would fit and be usable and look good on parade.
                    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post

                      Precisely. Attempting to make everyone conform to one type of handgun, one type of holster, always carried in one position doesn't work.
                      To some extent that's a function of the internet. Lot's of anonymous experts willing to share........

                      For instance, about 20 years ago there was a really active forum dedicated to black powder cartridge shooting. At the time I was competing pretty heavy in silhouette, long range and the less formal buffalo matches. I knew a bunch of guys on that forum from various matches and I had lived close to one guy that got me started in the sport when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis WA.

                      Well, like every board, there was this one guy that had an opinion on everything. Not only that, but he was one of those "His way or the highway" kind of guys which meant there was a wrong way, or his way. Everything from load development, spotting scope, cast bullets etc. etc. etc. Guy was probably making 6 or 7 posts a day with plenty of advice for everyone whether they wanted it or not.

                      One year I went out to shoot the Arizona state match, with a friend of mine. Turns out he was there, an "A" class shooter (I was AAA at the time, made Master shortly afterward). He finished the match somewhere around 80+ out of 120+ shooters. I won AAA class and placed about 8th overall. So after that little experience, put me firmly in the MO "Show me" category.

                      Talk is cheap, typing is even cheaper.....
                      The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post

                        To some extent that's a function of the internet. Lot's of anonymous experts willing to share........

                        For instance, about 20 years ago there was a really active forum dedicated to black powder cartridge shooting. At the time I was competing pretty heavy in silhouette, long range and the less formal buffalo matches. I knew a bunch of guys on that forum from various matches and I had lived close to one guy that got me started in the sport when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis WA.

                        Well, like every board, there was this one guy that had an opinion on everything. Not only that, but he was one of those "His way or the highway" kind of guys which meant there was a wrong way, or his way. Everything from load development, spotting scope, cast bullets etc. etc. etc. Guy was probably making 6 or 7 posts a day with plenty of advice for everyone whether they wanted it or not.

                        One year I went out to shoot the Arizona state match, with a friend of mine. Turns out he was there, an "A" class shooter (I was AAA at the time, made Master shortly afterward). He finished the match somewhere around 80+ out of 120+ shooters. I won AAA class and placed about 8th overall. So after that little experience, put me firmly in the MO "Show me" category.

                        Talk is cheap, typing is even cheaper.....
                        If someone is providing info you think is incorrect provide something more accurate. It's a win win for everyone involved.
                        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

                          If someone is providing info you think is incorrect provide something more accurate. It's a win win for everyone involved.
                          From time immemorial it has been thought that the best marksmanship equates to the best fighter, of course that is nonsense

                          But it's just how it is and isn't likely to change

                          So we will continue to put out information and while for the most part it will fall on deaf ears there will be the occasional person with an open mind

                          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

                          "Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Grip is the most important! Imo.
                            "Boards!!! Do not hit back!!" Bruce Lee
                            "Luck favors the prepared"
                            "You think I'm a hero? I am not a hero. And if you're smart, that scares you. Because I have nothing to lose. I mean to beat you to death, and drink your blood from a boot." Jack Reacher

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ricco View Post

                              From time immemorial it has been thought that the best marksmanship equates to the best fighter, of course that is nonsense

                              But it's just how it is and isn't likely to change

                              So we will continue to put out information and while for the most part it will fall on deaf ears there will be the occasional person with an open mind
                              Isn't it interesting?
                              Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X