• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Best Holsters and Positions? - Overweight Operator"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWbFX91dfLI

• mjkeat
    replied
    The best way to kill a thread when it turns gear focused, ask about performance in context. Crickets.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
    The pancake holster that I have used for many years was made in the 1970's by Roy Baker. It's similar in design to this Safariland holster.
    How has that holster performed during fight focused training?

Leave a comment:

• gerhard1
    replied
    The pancake holster that I have used for many years was made in the 1970's by Roy Baker. It's similar in design to this Safariland holster.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by ricco View Post

Never SOB, the reason being is that should you fall hard on your back a gun carried SOB can cause an injury. I had heard that but didn't put much stock in it until Marc Denny (Dog Brothers) said that when he was making an instructional DVD he was dumped hard and landed on the mic pack that was at SOB. He said his back immediately went into spasm and he difficulty walking for a couple of days. Besides that, it's slow to draw and difficult to defend and if you should find yourself on your back with a BG sitting on your chest it's nearly impossible to draw

Strong side/3:00 is faster to draw and easier to defend than 4:00 but not as fast or as easy to defend as AIWB

We have to remember that we are far more likely to get in fist fight than we are a gun fight and in that scramble we will have to defend the pistol as well as our head, hands in front will always be better than hands to the side
    Hands up front is where the hands will probably be anyway whether we like it or not so might as well put the gun there as well. It's much more efficient, wink, wink.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post
    Keat,

I'm going to help you out this once.........I posted on this thread for one reason: BAIT.

You both rose to it, as was expected and now maybe you can get out your forceps and take the hook out of Ricco's mouth. Of course I understand context and efficiency........but I knew that'd get a rise since you two seem to use the words every other sentence.

As for the silliness? I figure based on your condescending attitude you've earned it.....
    And what exactly did that get you

You wanted me to think you were ignorant of the most basic tenets of self defense, honest, I already thought you were ignorant of those principles

Same as same nothing changes

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Keat,

I'm going to help you out this once.........I posted on this thread for one reason: BAIT.

You both rose to it, as was expected and now maybe you can get out your forceps and take the hook out of Ricco's mouth. Of course I understand context and efficiency........but I knew that'd get a rise since you two seem to use the words every other sentence.

As for the silliness? I figure based on your condescending attitude you've earned it.....
    Interesting that all I'm doing is asking simple questions and you're acting out of what would appear to be some emotionally charged something or other. I think Ricco has posted on it a time or two.

Out of curiosity are you the type that considers anyone with greater knowledge than you on a subject to be condescending?

Please explain both to me so Im sure I know what it is.

So why is it you don't seem to apply either to your personal skill development?
    Last edited by mjkeat; 02-05-2019, 21:06.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
    Now, to get back to the subject of the thread, which position do you prefer, ricco? SOB, strong side or AWIB?

Sorry: meant AIWB.
    Never SOB, the reason being is that should you fall hard on your back a gun carried SOB can cause an injury. I had heard that but didn't put much stock in it until Marc Denny (Dog Brothers) said that when he was making an instructional DVD he was dumped hard and landed on the mic pack that was at SOB. He said his back immediately went into spasm and he difficulty walking for a couple of days. Besides that, it's slow to draw and difficult to defend and if you should find yourself on your back with a BG sitting on your chest it's nearly impossible to draw

Strong side/3:00 is faster to draw and easier to defend than 4:00 but not as fast or as easy to defend as AIWB

We have to remember that we are far more likely to get in fist fight than we are a gun fight and in that scramble we will have to defend the pistol as well as our head, hands in front will always be better than hands to the side

Leave a comment:

• Chuck R.
    replied
    Keat,

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Ricco,

I think we're talking past each other. I thought the offer was to pay tuition for instruction. Not get instruction form you or the Keatster.

Honestly I've taken classes from some of the better instructors around and frankly, you and the keatster are just a couple of "nobody's" that think they're "somebody" on a local forum with an active population of something like 10 regulars. I think that "big fish" in a little pond chit has gone to your head. Neither of you two are worth my time.

This is keats offer:
    Not actually get instruction form either of you two clowns........

Take a class from you???? Now that's pretty funny when you think about it.
    I find this post very interesting.

You have had instruction from a couple of really good instructors, I've stated as much before. This brings up a very important question, then why is your understanding of some of the most basic and important concepts, principles and methods somewhat limited in scope considering the quality and quantity of training you've experienced?

I remember our first real interaction where we discussed sighted and unsighted fire as well as using the minimum amount of skill necessary to get the hits we need to get. I'm just a nobody yet I understand these things.

The fact that you've responded in the manner you have says a lot. It portrays you as insecure. A person who truly believed what he said wouldn't feel it necessary to respond that way.

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

You should be well versed on all that and more. You did pay for the education after all. What happened?

Find a fight focused/counter ambush/ intuitive shooting course and I'll be there considering you cover the bill which is the same offer I extended.

Your attitude toward FoF doesn't say much about your reasons for training. How do you know what you've learned actually works in context of an actual fight?
    Again, my response ^

Anyway,...

From an educational standpoint how is it that you took a class that covers context and efficiency more than anything else but don't know what it is? Your words, "I'm kinda curios as to what all this "context' and "efficiency" is all about."

I also have a question about the last holster thread created by Gerhard. Nowhere in that post did anyone mention use beyond the holster as a transportation device. Why is that?

Hopfully you'll answer these questions. Beyond that I'm not interested in talking circles and wasting time on unrelated silliness.

PM me if you decide to follow through on the class thing.
    Last edited by mjkeat; 02-05-2019, 19:37.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Last edited by mjkeat; 02-05-2019, 19:10.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck R.
    replied
    Ricco,

I think we're talking past each other. I thought the offer was to pay tuition for instruction. Not get instruction form you or the Keatster.

Honestly I've taken classes from some of the better instructors around and frankly, you and the keatster are just a couple of "nobody's" that think they're "somebody" on a local forum with an active population of something like 10 regulars. I think that "big fish" in a little pond chit has gone to your head. Neither of you two are worth my time.

This is keats offer:
    Find a fight focused/counter ambush/ intuitive shooting course and I'll be there considering you do or the bill which is the same offer I extended.
    Not actually get instruction form either of you two clowns........

Take a class from you???? Now that's pretty funny when you think about it.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Read my last post

I wouldn't each you anything even if you offered to PAY ME

Emotions?

Nope, just hoping you will read what I write and what you think I write

Leave a comment:

• Chuck R.
    replied
    Originally posted by ricco View Post

I thought you put me on ignore

You'll take either one of us up on what?

A shooting match?

Let me try this again, maybe you'll get it

SO ONCE AGAIN, I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S FURRY BUTT CRACK ABOUT SHOOTING MATCH'S OR TRADITIONAL MARKSMANSHIP, IT BORES ME AND I HAVE NO USE FOR IT, I THOUGHT I HAD MADE THAT PLAIN

AND NO WORRIES, I WOULDN'T EVEN FOR A SECOND WANT YOU TO TRY FOF

GOT IT NOW
    Hmmmm, letting our emotions get the best of us are we?

So again, are you two ponying up for a class or not?

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied

This was the offer I was referring to that I apparently missed out on.

Now, IF it's still valid, I'll take you or the keatster up on it.

Now it sounds like there's being some limitations put on it, but hey I'm fine with that.

Checking out the I.C.E. site, they've got some classes that aren't too far:

https://www.icetraining.us/calendar.html

I'm willing to travel to IL and there's a couple classes in May. Memorial day weekend I've got some long range stuff going on west of here, but the rest of my schedule as I said is pretty clear till the fall. So, pick a class and pony up. I'll handle my transportation, lodging and ammunition.

There's even a 2 person Armed Defense class in AUG that would probably be a lot of fun.

and yes I do still have you on ignore, but will respond when it comes to free tuition.
    You still have me on ignore but you responded to this, Uhmm, okay

I rarely offer to teach anyone anything and most certainly wouldn't ask someone I don't know to train with me

I have been asked to train people I trust and if I'm interested sometimes I'll do it

If people want to train with me as a partner that's okay, sometimes

But it's usually a once or twice thing, most people can't keep up or they get a boo boo and need to rest

Nope, no offers will come from me

Leave a comment:

Working...
X