• mjkeat
    started a topic Yet Another

Yet Another

Welp...

https://www.facebook.com/15217955451...6460342239514/

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
    He walks with a cane off and on, and his movement is pained. Were he to get in a scuffle, I would think his best would be to ball up and protect his head.

He he probably should not even do yard work, much like my 80 year old MIL nearing two years battling cancer, who I had to scold for shoveling snow last week, but it is a generation that refuses to puss out.
    I have nothing but respect for strong work ethic and that generation seems to own it.

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    He walks with a cane off and on, and his movement is pained. Were he to get in a scuffle, I would think his best would be to ball up and protect his head.

He he probably should not even do yard work, much like my 80 year old MIL nearing two years battling cancer, who I had to scold for shoveling snow last week, but it is a generation that refuses to puss out.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    The old fart mows with a ztr, should be comedy gold to see a gun grab on that. He waters the yard, huals trash gets his mail OC. Something black in a black holster, I’ve not gone over to critique his method.

He he is an old man, in a broken body. He is not lazy, a couch bender, nor is it like a few pushups would cure him. That gun is his leverage against a sick world.
    I'm not being critical of him. Im not even saying he shouldn't OC. That's a personal choice none of us should attempt to infinge on. I'm just stating some of the more obvious. Do you disagree that a "broken" task fixated individual can be an easier target?

I'm not sure what "old" or "broken body" is to you but yes, a firearm can be a quite effective piece to a self defense plan which may maximize the chance a victim survives an attack. That's why

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    The old fart mows with a ztr, should be comedy gold to see a gun grab on that. He waters the yard, huals trash gets his mail OC. Something black in a black holster, I’ve not gone over to critique his method.

He he is an old man, in a broken body. He is not lazy, a couch bender, nor is it like a few pushups would cure him. That gun is his leverage against a sick world.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    I dug a little deeper than just linking a Facebook link.

Victim did a tv interview that fills in a lot of the blanks.

You can greatly improve your odds of being a victim by being in the wrong place. I watch my elderly neighbor do his yard work OC all the time. So far, so good.

My comment was not specific to this post. I feel the 14 year old should be charged attempted murder. He managed to jam a chambered on safe XD and point it at the victim. As a forum member, are you in a mental state to look at a middle schooler as someone you may need to use deadly force on? You better be.
    I a absolutely agree that certain activities, certain places and certain activities in certain places can increase your chances of being victimized. The thing is you said, "Had he been my neighbor we wouldn’t be discussing this." I'm not saying you're incorrect but to speak in such absolutes is proof of a false sense of security which often leads to being less safe.

Your neighbor mows while OCing in what holster? Loud as **** vibrating mower, focused on the task of getting those straight lines to impress the neighbors, plus elderly? If say that's lining up to be a BG's dream.

Middle schooler, infant, my mom, or my own child. I believe you misunderstood my earlier comment.

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    I dug a little deeper than just linking a Facebook link.

Victim did a tv interview that fills in a lot of the blanks.

You can greatly improve your odds of being a victim by being in the wrong place. I watch my elderly neighbor do his yard work OC all the time. So far, so good.

My comment was not specific to this post. I feel the 14 year old should be charged attempted murder. He managed to jam a chambered on safe XD and point it at the victim. As a forum member, are you in a mental state to look at a middle schooler as someone you may need to use deadly force on? You better be.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    He had horrible SA, he saw the kid stalking and took notice. Once again, avoiding parts of town can greatly improve your luck, his address is on my list of do not be a pedestrian areas of Wichita. Had he been my neighbor we wouldn’t be discussing this.

I think the the biggest lesson for KSCCW is be mentally ready to beat down or shoot a young kid.
    If he saw the kid as you say then he was technically situationally aware. He wasn't aware of the threat.

Are you saying these things can't happen in certain neighborhoods?

Beat down or shoot the dude pointing your gun at you?

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    He had horrible SA, he saw the kid stalking and took notice. Once again, avoiding parts of town can greatly improve your luck, his address is on my list of do not be a pedestrian areas of Wichita. Had he been my neighbor we wouldn’t be discussing this.

I think the the biggest lesson for KSCCW is be mentally ready to beat down or shoot a young kid.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
    So how does something like this happen?
    My opinion and I'll ramble a bit

Most likely a combination of things

I use the term gun-centric and and this incident is the very definition of that term

For gun-centric people the gun is the end all and be all and unfortunately there are still so many that refuse to differentiate between sport shooting and self defense

For Open Carry people who are not just doing it as a political statement the thinking is that the BG's will see the gun and not want to take the risk

There is also understanding how BG's think

Fortunately most of us are not BG's and the BG mindset is alien to us

The BG believes that whatever he want's belongs to him and if you get hurt trying to stop him that's your fault

Lot's of people have in some way been victims of a criminal but rarely is it face to face violent or potentially violent crime

We go about our daily lives and with the exception of being caught in rush hour traffic we are generally safe and we get used to it, our lives are typically the same one day to the next with only small variations

No run ins with BG's in the past, none yesterday, none today and because tomorrow will be the same as today the chances of being attacked are very small and because that is generally true we give very little thought to actually being attacked

We get comfortable and this is why the concept of "Situational Awareness" is all but a complete fallacy, you can't live your life in 99.9% safety and maintain SA, our focus tends to be on the most relevant things in our lives

Just my opinion

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    So how does something like this happen?

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    A fourteen year old has been arrested in this theft.
    At 14 this sort of thing wasn't even on my radar.

I was talking with a guy who asked me, "why did he let that kid get so close to him?" I laughed a little.

Leave a comment:

• Not so big Tom
    replied
    A fourteen year old has been arrested in this theft.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    I'm picturing the victim standing there saying 'Now you give that back! Right now!', based on his body language. I mean, what else could he do (assuming the gun was loaded). Ace2
    I'm sure you teach some sort of empty hand gun disarm badassery in your classes. Right?

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    I'm picturing the victim standing there saying 'Now you give that back! Right now!', based on his body language. I mean, what else could he do (assuming the gun was loaded). Ace2

Leave a comment:

Working...
X