Press That Trigger?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press That Trigger?

After clearing your firearm should you press the trigger?
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

There are a lot of questions that would have to be answered first. Does the range require it when you leave the line? Did you do a full blown visual chamber check too? Are you clearing it during a shooting situation and are fixing a FTF or FTE? And of course, does your manufacturer say you can dry fire without a round in the chamber?

Comment

No questions need be asked or answered. It's silly.

If the range asks you to press the trigger refuse and articulate why. If they persist they're wilfully ignorant. You've properly cleared the gun, correct. Are you not legally allowed to carry a loaded gun? The biggest reason, it's not as safe as not pulling the trigger. Fingering the gun is never as safe as not fingering the gun. Guns don't typically go bang unless someone's messing with them. If they insist allow then to verify clear next time. What ranges demand you press the trigger to show clear?

If your intention is to clear the gun and you didn't perform a "full blown visual chamber check" you're wrong. There should be some sort of physical/tactile check as well. This forces the person to actually slow down and look.

If you're stagging malfunctions or reloads you're wrong. Stop it.

What quality defensive handgun doesn't allow for pressing of the trigger on an empty chamber?

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
        After clearing your firearm should you press the trigger?
        I'm getting a feeling there is a backstory here
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

I'm getting a feeling there is a backstory here
          Other than seeing it done at shooting events and having students attempt to or actually do it even when being told not to because they claim it to be safer there's really no story. I ran across a FB by Cunningham about it which triggered my curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

Other than seeing it done at shooting events and having students attempt to or actually do it even when being told not to because they claim it to be safer there's really no story. I ran across a FB by Cunningham about it which triggered my curiosity.
            You really weren’t curious, you set out bait to jump someone.

You could have posted “Do not press your trigger after clearing” and made your case.

BTW, you press the trigger after clearing on one of the most popular guns in the world to field strip.
            Originally posted by kscardsfan
            Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post

You really weren’t curious, you set out bait to jump someone.

You could have posted “Do not press your trigger after clearing” and made your case.

BTW, you press the trigger after clearing on one of the most popular guns in the world to field strip.
              Or I was curious to hear other's opinions on the subject.

Comment

On occasions when I'm using something other than my carry pistol I will drop the magazine run the bolt or slide, press the trigger, check the magazine and insert the magazine before putting the firearm in the bag

Just the way I've always done it, I don't remember anyone telling to do it that way
                "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
                X