Accuracy vs Precision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

Edit: I was involved in one use of lethal force event as high school kid while sitting in P.E. On its 2nd lap through the parking lot the occupants in a car opened fire on us. Semi auto fire only but still startling none the less. It was interesting to see the varying reactions from those around me. Yuma had a serious gang problem.
    I couldn't resist this...everybody at Yuma high school is a criminal.
    President Ronald Reagan said it best, “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

Comment

Doesn't Yuma still have the State Prison, for those interested in higher education? Ace2
      Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefPlumber View Post

I couldn't resist this...everybody at Yuma high school is a criminal.
        There were quit a a few for sure. I saw teachers and admin get beat up, a group of us (5 whites) were jumped by 10 to 15 Hispanics. One dude got it fairly bad, bruised/broken ribs and a broken nose. Gang fights were often. Good for the soul.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          Doesn't Yuma still have the State Prison, for those interested in higher education? Ace2
          The Marine base?
          Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Thanks all for the input; some pretty good discussion for the most part.

In the original conversation that prompted me to post the question here, we were talking about accuracy vs precision in the context (oh, that word!) of hunting, then it moved into the defense area. We didn't get into the dictionary definition of the terms, more the practical application 'in the field'. We basically came to the conclusion that, in simple terms, 'accuracy' would be being able to hit the target--deer, pig, bad guy, whatever--in a location that would be reasonably expected to cause the desired result, ie: the deer or pig or elk being shot through the ribs would cause a humane kill, with the animal going down reasonably quickly, making for a non-laborious recovery (hopefully, if it ran some distance before going down, it would be towards the truck or into a spot where we could drive up to it). In the case of a bad guy, hits would be generally through the ribs, causing lots of bleeding and collapsing the lung(s), which would limit the oxygen getting to the brain so the brain would be unable to command the body to continue the attack. In both cases, if fortune should direct the bullet(s) to the spine/CNS and cause instant incapacitation, so much the better--although in most hunting scenarios, trying for the spine isn't such a wise choice. In both cases, the target area would be larger than that for 'precise' shots; we can argue exactly how many inches on different species, but that's for a coffee-n-doughnut discussion.

'Precision' would be more along the line of being able to place the bullet in a much smaller, carefully chosen spot on the critter or bad guy. For example, there are times when I choose to do head shots on pigs; they have to be close enough that I feel comfortable with the particular gun I'm using, the gun has to be capable of hitting tiny spots on command, the pig needs to be standing broadside and stationary; if that all falls into place, shooting them through the ears (kinda like good advice here on this site, in one ear and out the other) makes for no tracking and not much dragging. In the case of the bad guy, IF the situation allows, being able to pick the shirt button or nose/eyeball or side-to-side ear shot, knowing the weapon in play is capable of such accuracy/precision, and the shooter's ability are up to it, then 'precision' would come into play.

So simply put, for our (the people who were involved in the original conversation) criteria for 'accuracy' came down to being able to call the shot(s) into a larger area than the criteria for 'precise' shots---accuracy is being able to put your shots into an 'area' (size of which depends on the target), precision being able to put your shot on a specific spot within that 'area'.

Again, thanks for the input. It has been really interesting---and there really weren't any right or wrong answers. Ace2
            Last edited by Ace; 03-17-2019, 22:45.
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Working...
            X