X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Gas Station Clerk"

If you carry or have a sheepdog mentality this is a must read

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...yXg5ZY38fF1HDQ
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Huh, an off duty cop says run hide be a witness to murder, render aid. I would rather shoot the dick than touch a strangers body fluids.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Only if you don't want to risk prosecution and civil suits
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

He should not have taken the job.
        Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

Comment

He was talking about being off duty

Dunno but I don't think people who aren't being payed should have to work

When I think how things have changed and how people are so frightened of prosecution and lawsuits it saddens me, it really does

Turn on the news or talk radio, see how long it takes for someone to mention someone being prosecuted or sued, it's become a national obsession

I wish things weren't the way they are, but it's just how it is

Look at it this way, if a CCW were to shoot at a BG and miss but the bullet hit you or someone you care about, would you want that CCW prosecuted, would you file a lawsuit?

Given how things are people being lawsuit happy and all, if your reply is that you wouldn't sue no one is likely to believe you
          Last edited by ricco; 03-22-2019, 03:26.

Comment

People who arenít being paid should leave their duty weapon in a work armory till the clock in.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
              People who aren’t being paid should leave their duty weapon in a work armory till the clock in.
              They shoukdnt carry their duty weapon off the clock or they shouldn't carry off the clock?
              Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Ellifritz simply understands reality

Just understand, if you get involved in someone else's fight and screw up there will be consequences, harsh consequences

Remember, about half the shots fired by police miss the intended target, do you think you will do better

And don't tell me about how well you shot a match last week, it's not the same, it just isn't

Those police officers have liability insurance, police unions and attorneys and other police officers doing the investigation, what do you have if you screw up

You are risking your freedom and everything you have worked for your entire life

If you want get involved so be it, but understand that a prison cell and poverty could very well be the result for you doing so

Last edited by ricco; 03-22-2019, 15:55.

Comment

I won't use deadly force unless the bad guy starts shooting. At that point, I figure that my life is at risk. If I can't escape (my preferred course of action) or hide, then I'll engage.
                  Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
                  The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Non-LEO CCH'ers and off-duty LEO would be in different columns in such a situation. The CCH has no moral, legal, or ethical duty to intervene in a situation where someone (the clerk, here) is threatened with death or great bodily harm. LEO, different matter. Taking responsibility to intervene in such a matter is part of the job. If an off-duty LEO walks in on an armed robbery, and doesn't do whatever he/she can to put a stop to it, they need to change jobs, maybe become a pastry chef. An LEO who doesn't carry off-duty most likely isn't much of a cop, but more of a 'Poleece Officer' (said with a sneer and sarcastic tone, which would be understood by most cops). Part of the job is being ready to act in emergency situations, and being at least minimally equipped to do so. Not to mention the distinct possibility of running into bad guys they have dealt with on the job.
                    So, if a CCH walks in on the robbery, and they choose to back off and let the clerk fend for herself, no harm-no foul. If a cop walks in on it, and backs off for whatever reason--fear, not armed, doesn't want to get involved, doesn't want to deal with the paperwork, whatever--well, there are openings in a lot of pastry chef schools.

If the CCH does choose to get involved, yes indeed there are consequences. The time to think about how far you're willing to go is long before you get mixed up in an intervention situation; then just wear your big boy pants whatever the consequences are--whether it's the legal/emotional/social issues if you decide to step in and try to stop it, or its the emotional issues that will arise from backing off and letting a helpless victim die.

Some will disagree, and one right they still have is the right to be wrong. Ace2
                    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

My opinion

There is more to "getting involved" in a potentially violent life threatening situation that just being a competent marksman

The LEO has an advantage that the CCW most likely doesn't, that being experience

No, I'm not talking about gun fight experience, that is rare even for LEO's, I'm talking about being experienced in reading the room

Very few CCW's will ever be in a situation that has the potential to turn violent without a moments notice

The LEO might him/herself regularly in those situations

While no one is right in their appraisal of situations 100% of the time the LEO because of constant exposure will have a better chance of making the right decisions than the person that has little or no experience

Comment

Working...
                      X