One of the best Videos I've seen on Ballistic Gel Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the best Videos I've seen on Ballistic Gel Testing

Goes a long ways to explain why Gel testing works and why SD caliber, once you reach a certain threshold, doesn't matter:

The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

So caliber doesn't matter, I'm shocked, shocked I tell you

And below rifles velocities, velocity doesn't really mean much, where I have I heard that before, that is one of the problems when you get old you can't remember stuff as well, wish I could remember...........oh well

Whenever I hear jello talked about as a tissue simulant I wonder........which tissue

Muscle tissue, organ tissue, or maybe adipose tissue, they are all different

What about bone

Does the bullet react to lung tissue the same as abdominal muscle tissue

Let's look at person who used to be an athlete but turned into a couch potato, this happens a lot

This person has a 48 inch waist comprised of a lot of fat, but because of his past training he has retained better than average abdominal muscle development

If a bullet were fired into this persons mid section, which tissue would simulate the jello, the fat, the muscle or the intestines

If a bullet is fired into the chest of a person with heavy pectoral development before entering the lung, another kind of tissue and which is basically a balloon will the bullet react the same way as if it were fired into the chest of a person with little pectoral development

What if the bullet strikes a rib on either person before entering the lung

So which tissue does it simulate

Maybe it's magic jello and simulates all the different types of tissue 'cause well it just knows what data you're wanting
    Last edited by ricco; 04-13-2019, 17:03.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Quite a good, informative video. Says about everything that those of us who understand the usefulness of gel testing have been saying for decades--just more eloquently.
      Thanks for posting it, Chuck. Ace2
      Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

thats why the fn 5.7 is the greatest advancement in handgun technology in last 80 years....
        PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
          Quite a good, informative video. Says about everything that those of us who understand the usefulness of gel testing have been saying for decades--just more eloquently.
          Thanks for posting it, Chuck. Ace2
          Welcome!

Does go a ways to counter the whole Gel isn't bone, muscle, organs..yada, yada, yada. I like the way they tie it to a correlation to "street effects" at about the 3:00 minute mark.

"What works in the gelatin here, ends up working in the street there"
          The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
            thats why the fn 5.7 is the greatest advancement in handgun technology in last 80 years....
            Isn't that the European version of a glorified .22Magnum they came up with? The one that supposedly defeats ballistic vests (with the armor piercing load), but causes such little holes that the bad guy has to be shot many multiple times before he realizes he's been hit? Yeah, that's the one.

Heard a LGS owner trying to sell a customer on one of those, saying it gets something like 2,000+ fps out of the pistol, and it would shoot flat out to something like 200 yards. Of course, he was trying to make a sale.

Not to start an off-topic argument, of course. The video is still a dandy for explaining the value of gel testing. Ace2

Comment

Caliber does matter but not how people generally look at it. Science.

Caliber and how it effects the shooter is a real thing and it does in fact influence the outcome of a critical incident. More science.

Gel testing is comparable to dudes sitting around and talking cold dead hands. Theu have fun sitting around running theor mouths but the chances that they'll actually follow through is anyone's guess. They may, they may not but I sure wouldn't bet my life on it.
              Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

People believe what let's them get to sleep at night

If it's a magic bullet

Detox tea or whatever, so be it

ETA

I just remembered I've been carrying Blazer 115 gr FMJ in my carry pistol since my last time at the range, just shows how little i care about this or that bullet

If I don't forget maybe I'll change it out tomorrow
                Last edited by ricco; 04-14-2019, 03:49.
                "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
                  I kinda want a 5.7 myself, an AR would be fun

Comment

The 5.7, pistol or rifle, with the soft point bullet (I don't remember, do they make a hollow point for it?) would make a dandy coyote/varmint gun, within it's limitations. Wouldn't quite equal the .223, but a bit more than a .22 Hornet---assuming I'm remembering the ballistics correctly. Been a while since I checked it out. Ace2

Comment

I was looking at CMMG today

The 5.7 Banshee, I''m thinkin' maybe...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlDlLkPSO8

Comment

Now that would be cool for shooting crows and coyotes out the truck window--as if anybody would ever actually commit such a horrible illegal act. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                          The 5.7, pistol or rifle, with the soft point bullet (I don't remember, do they make a hollow point for it?) would make a dandy coyote/varmint gun, within it's limitations. Wouldn't quite equal the .223, but a bit more than a .22 Hornet---assuming I'm remembering the ballistics correctly. Been a while since I checked it out. Ace2
                          Elite ammo makes ammo
                          PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X