Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ORF Quals today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ORF Quals today

    Got home a little while ago from doing the annual ORF qualification. Got a harsh reminder of how shooting skill diminishes without practice. Sadly, I haven't kept up on my practice like I probably should, and it showed. Still kept the holes in the part that counts, except for a small number of 'partner shots' ( those shots that are outside the line--not a miss, but when you shoot the bad guy's partner behind him). Did better with the revawver than the semi-auto, but I could live on the difference. So, at this point, I'm almost in the mood to sell off the semi's, and revert to revawvers--almost; that will pass.
    Now to figure more practice rounds into the budget, and time to use them in the schedule. AND more dry-fire and trigger-control sessions. Ace2
    Last edited by Ace; 04-13-2019, 21:02.
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

  • #2
    I could pick up any gun in the house and feel ok. Just like I can drive any car here.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.




    QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

    Comment


    • #3
      Yep, I got no qualms to seriously cause me night sweats. Was plenty accurate at the distances within which the vast majority of 'civilian' defense situations occur, but even at those distances, the precision was lacking. Part of that is older age, older eyes, and weaker hands. The longer distances--basically 15 to 25 yards, I could mostly hit close to where I wanted, but certainly wouldn't be able to pick which button or shirt pocket like I could ~20 years ago. Of course, there are a lot of things I can't do like I did 20 years ago. I'd venture a guess that's probably true of more than one person here. Ace2
      Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

      Comment


      • #4
        What does this qual course consist of?
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

        Comment


        • #5
          What is ORF
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

          "Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ace View Post
            Yep, I got no qualms to seriously cause me night sweats. Was plenty accurate at the distances within which the vast majority of 'civilian' defense situations occur, but even at those distances, the precision was lacking. Part of that is older age, older eyes, and weaker hands. The longer distances--basically 15 to 25 yards, I could mostly hit close to where I wanted, but certainly wouldn't be able to pick which button or shirt pocket like I could ~20 years ago. Of course, there are a lot of things I can't do like I did 20 years ago. I'd venture a guess that's probably true of more than one person here. Ace2
            Ace I see it at every match when the guys setting up the stage to stretch the distances. I'm still on the silhouette, but it isn't like it used to be.

            I think everyone shows some extent of degradation due to lack of practice, it is a perishable skill. I know I both slow down and lose accuracy every winter because I shoot less, and that's with still getting in a couple matches a month. Luckily with the warmer weather I practice a lot more, the convenience of a backyard range kicks in. Supposed to hit 58 today so I'll get a couple drills in between chores. Soon I'll be back to my 2-3 short sessions a week in addition to matches.

            Yo might want to look at reloading, depending on your caliber (most revolvers fit this) the savings can add up pretty quickly.
            The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ricco View Post
              What is ORF
              'Old Retired Farts', unless you prefer less earthy language, then 'Old Retired Fellas', unless there are retired lady cops there, then 'Old Retired Folks'.

              Us ORF's are required to qualify yearly to keep our LEOSA cards. Not completely fair, since for CCH, the classroom qualification is the only time it's required. But no big issue; it gives the old guys a chance to get together and see how many of us are left, and go over the same old war stories--details of which sometimes change from year to year.

              I'm thinking seriously about Chuck's suggestion on reloading. Good idea, just one of those things where there's 'nothing to it but to do it.' Gotta get to the 'do it' part. Got a Dillon's basic loader, .45Colt, in the basement, still in the box. I'd like to have one for .44Spl and .38/.357---then get a big bottle of 'do it'. Ace2
              Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

              Comment


              • #8
                Reloading will save you no money. You will shoot much more for the same cost.
                Winner winner!
                NRA Life Member
                Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ace View Post
                  But no big issue; it gives the old guys a chance to get together and see how many of us are left, and go over the same old war stories--details of which sometimes change from year to year. Ace2
                  Honest that sounds kinda cool, treasure it

                  "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

                  "Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    What's the course of fire?
                    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You need secret squirrel clearance for him to tell you.
                      Originally posted by kscardsfan
                      Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.




                      QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nah, I just don't see any point in answering him. He'd just denigrate it, pontificate on how it isn't really 'training', and blow on about how much better he is than the rest of us. I don't need it; my ego is intact. He don't need it, he needs to learn to be quiet and let the grownups talk.(which point I have made before, and we see how he pays attention). Ace2
                        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ace View Post
                          Nah, I just don't see any point in answering him. He'd just denigrate it, pontificate on how it isn't really 'training', and blow on about how much better he is than the rest of us. I don't need it; my ego is intact. He don't need it, he needs to learn to be quiet and let the grownups talk.(which point I have made before, and we see how he pays attention). Ace2
                          That's unfortunate.

                          So you'll know in case someone brings it up, Quals are an evaluation tool. Eval tools are typically in place to make sure the individual not only learned the skill(s) taught but has developed them appropriately and can apply them in context. First there must be context.

                          I should have mentioned the Book Share thread I started. The book is headed to dmog but you can get in on it if you'd like. Just go to the thread and post that you'd like to get in line.
                          Last edited by mjkeat; 04-15-2019, 03:19.
                          Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Quals are public relations. Little more.
                            "In Heaven there will be no law, and the lion will lie down with the Lamb... In Hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will Be meticulously observed". - Professor Grant Gilmore, Yale Law School

                            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GMC70 View Post
                              Quals are public relations. Little more.
                              Yet they create a dangerous false sense of security and competence in the individual, chain of command, and public.
                              Last edited by mjkeat; 04-15-2019, 17:41.
                              Failure is an opportunity to learn.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X