"....fatal machete attack on Appalachian Trail...."

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "....fatal machete attack on Appalachian Trail...."

"Two of the hikers chased him away, but Jordan allegedly returned and began stabbing the male victim in the upper body after they began arguing, the complaint states."

"The female victim ran away after watching the first victim fall to the ground, but Jordan caught up to her as she began to tire, according to the court documents. She then turned to face Jordan, raising her hands "as if to surrender," and Jordan allegedly stabbed her multiple times."

Going into the woods unarmed, did "Deliverance" teach these people nothing

Sooner or later people are going to have to accept that nowhere is safe

https://abcnews.go.com/US/massachuse...ry?id=62992155

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Ace View Post
    Ain't the size of the dog in the fight....
    Ace2
    "Fake news more likely than not" - Reality

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Ain't the size of the dog in the fight....
    Ace2

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    I just thought it was funny that a Beagle wanted to chase a mountain lion

Leave a comment:

• Dmog
    replied
    Originally posted by ricco View Post
    Dogs on a leash

I shared a post from Bane, he lives in the mountains of Colorado

He likes to take his Beagle on hikes

When the Beagle catches a few molecules of lion odor she wants to give chase

Dogs on a leash
    I was attempting some humor...more times than not, the bear/lion will smell and hear the dog and hiker before or about the time the dog smells the bear/lion, depending on the air currents and is long gone. Although there has been a mauling in Glacier Nation Park as a result of a dog being chased by a female Griz protecting cubs that run back to the owners and the owner got mauled a bit. Leash works as well as e-collars and I certainly agree that someone that knows their dog will get a warning that something is out of the ordinary. I always hiked/fished with my dogs in the mountains of Montana when I lived there. I still remember a few times where the dog would raise give a warning shortly before I would sense something amiss. Guess what, we would turn around and not go around the bend in the creek. To this day, I have always wondered what was around the bend! Another time hiking the dog started to growl and look intently into the trees and I caught a glimpse of a mountain lion gliding through the trees. There was still snow on the ground and for the fun of it we back track that cougar to see what it was doing and it had circled us before it ran off. Guess it decided we were not easy enough prey that day.
    Last edited by Dmog; 05-16-2019, 15:18.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Dogs on a leash

I shared a post from Bane, he lives in the mountains of Colorado

He likes to take his Beagle on hikes

When the Beagle catches a few molecules of lion odor she wants to give chase

Dogs on a leash

Leave a comment:

• Dmog
    replied

I think a portable alarm system also known as a dog is good idea when hiking, dogs will tell us if something or someone is approaching long before we will know it
    Dog runs ahead and encounters bear, bear chases dog, dog runs back to owner, dog is faster than owner!

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

And if the other party forces the issue? The choice may not be yours.
    I think a portable alarm system also known as a dog is good idea when hiking, dogs will tell us if something or someone is approaching long before we will know it

Leave a comment:

• Dmog
    replied
    This brings back a memory from living and hiking in Montana. We would sit around the campfire and discuss the best gun to carry with us on the trail with the main argument for .357 mag, 44 mag and at that time the 10mm just came out. Old Timer said to us that he carried a .38...we said "that was no good against a bear". He said "I don't carry it for the bears". Much higher probability of needing to defend yourself in the wilderness against another human than an animal.

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by deerhunter View Post

I wouldn't argue with a random stranger in the middle of the woods.
    And if the other party forces the issue? The choice may not be yours.

Leave a comment:

• deerhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

So you're standing there arguing with a man getting closer and closer as typical when two dudes are arguing. Dude starts stabbing the **** out of you what's your first reaction? How many times do you get stabbed before you even realize you're being stabbed? How much blood do you think you've lost by the point you are able to process the fact that yes indeed you're getting stabbed and no you're not just seeing things because your mind will attempt to rationalize and/or dismiss what's really happening.
    I wouldn't argue with a random stranger in the middle of the woods.
    Last edited by deerhunter; 05-14-2019, 06:15.

Leave a comment:

• ricco
    replied
    "Deliverance" freaked me out, not many movies do that, maybe it was because as a kid I spent so much time wandering in the woods by myself

My only worries were snakes, poison ivy and ticks

Had these folks been armed with anything more than harsh language and/or an understanding of human dynamics chances are this wouldn't have happened

Most people of this ilk aren't looking for a fight

Arguing with a psycho is a mistake, especially if you have nothing to back it up with, the psycho is only emboldened

Timing and distance will almost always determine the winner of a fight, the hikers failed at both

Leave a comment:

• mjkeat
    replied
    Originally posted by deerhunter View Post

ABCs!
    Always Be Carrying!
    So you're standing there arguing with a man getting closer and closer as typical when two dudes are arguing. Dude starts stabbing the **** out of you what's your first reaction? How many times do you get stabbed before you even realize you're being stabbed? How much blood do you think you've lost by the point you are able to process the fact that yes indeed you're getting stabbed and no you're not just seeing things because your mind will attempt to rationalize and/or dismiss what's really happening.

Leave a comment:

• deerhunter
    replied
    "Two of the hikers chased him away, but Jordan allegedly returned and began stabbing the male victim in the upper body after they began arguing, the complaint states."

"The female victim ran away after watching the first victim fall to the ground, but Jordan caught up to her as she began to tire, according to the court documents. She then turned to face Jordan, raising her hands "as if to surrender," and Jordan allegedly stabbed her multiple times."

Going into the woods unarmed, did "Deliverance" teach these people nothing

Sooner or later people are going to have to accept that nowhere is safe

https://abcnews.go.com/US/massachuse...ry?id=62992155
    ABCs!
    Always Be Carrying!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X