Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG?

Some questions about BUGs, feel free to discuss civilly (yeah, right):
    Simple questions, really, no right or wrong answers---'experts' need not participate if you feel the subject is beneath your dignity.
    1) Do you carry a BUG?
    2) If so, is it a revawver, semi-auto, derringer, or....?
    3) The reason you carry one--or don't?
    4) Caliber?
    5) If you have one, do you carry a reload for it?
    6) Where do you normally carry it?

Let's see how it goes. Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

When I went to Liberal for work, I always kept a 2” .357 in my briefcase. , kind of a last ditch gun. Only time I saw a tiny girl pulled out of car in broad daylight at gunpoint was Seward County.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I do not carry a back up gun on me. I do have them in vehicles and home. I trust my ccw 100% to go bang multiple times and/or cut when needed.
      Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
        Some questions about BUGs, feel free to discuss civilly (yeah, right):
        Simple questions, really, no right or wrong answers---'experts' need not participate if you feel the subject is beneath your dignity.
        1) Do you carry a BUG? No, not generally.
        2) If so, is it a revolver, semi-auto, derringer, or....? If I could afford one it would likely be a 38/357 hammerless revolver in an ankle holster.
        3) The reason you carry one--or don't? Money
        4) Caliber? 380 or more powerful,
        5) If you have one, do you carry a reload for it? Always
        6) Where do you normally carry it?

Let's see how it goes. Ace2
        If you only carry one un it is your primary, even if it is a NA .22 Short .
        A gun in a brief case might as well be locked in your car.

If there was a riot, my BUG would be an AR with at least hald a dozen 30 round mags.

I plan to win the lottery his month, then I'll need to buy several guns to decide what I'll carry and what I'll have close at hand.

The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Depends

If you're a person that runs TO the sound of gunfire, you are PROACTIVE, a BUG is probably a good idea

If you are a CCW only concerned with SELF DEFENSE, you are REACTIVE, a BUG probably won't help given the very short time and distance of a CCW SELF DEFENSE incident, should your primary weapon stop working the fight will likely be over before you can even draw the BUG
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

I'm curious. Most people refuse to develop self defense skills, most of the membership here for instance, yet some find it necessary to carry more than one defensive weapon on them?
            Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
              I'm curious. Most people refuse to develop self defense skills, most of the membership here for instance, yet some find it necessary to carry more than one defensive weapon on them?
              My opinion

Most CCW's have never done any FOF/Scenario training and are not cognizant of just how quickly a REACTIVE SELF DEFENSE incident begins and ends. When our only practice is against targets that don't shoot back we can do all manner of things, in fact everything works. The techniques we depend on to save our lives shouldn't be trusted until it has been tested in the crucible of FOF
              Last edited by ricco; 06-19-2019, 20:16.
              "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

My opinion

Most CCW's have never done any FOF/Scenario training and are not cognizant of just how quickly a REACTIVE SELF DEFENSE incident begins and ends. When our only practice is against targets that don't shoot back we can do all manner of things, in fact everything works. The techniques we depend on to save our lives shouldn't be trusted until it has been tested in the crucible of FOF
                Yet here we have guys who have never had instruction worth the tuition, rarely practice what they learned in that one class that one time 30 years ago let alone tested anything they learned in that class under any sort of pressure attempting to give others advice/recommendations/information and/or telling other individuals the advice they give is invalid.
                Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

My opinion

If you can't do FOF, there is what I did back in Seattle more than 30 years ago. It requires a partner and the ability to hear. I used a coffee can and traced six circles on a piece of cardboard, numbering them. My partner called out a number and I would draw and shoot at that numbered circle. I got to be pretty good at it.

It is my understanding that Pincus does something quite similar.
                  Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
                  The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
                  I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Comment

Pincus probably stole the idea from you. Maybe he owes you royalties.

That concept has been around for a long time, with numbers, colors, shapes, or combinations. Part of training to think before you shoot, identify the target, rather than just draw'n'bang all the time. Not a bad drill when you're stuck with the much-maligned toe-the-line square range; you know, a tool in the box. Ace2
                    Last edited by Ace; 06-20-2019, 22:34.

Comment

In re: BUGs, been looking at some hammerless .38 snubs, S&W and Taurus in particular. Wondering why there's such a wide disparity in prices on the S&W models; seeing a range from about $250ish to $600 plus, and for new guns. Taurus, of course, is cheaper, but heck, it's Taurus; plus they have 6-shooter models as well as fivers--if one extra shot tickles your fancy. Any of them would make good pocket pistols. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

Yet here we have guys who have never had instruction worth the tuition, rarely practice what they learned in that one class that one time 30 years ago let alone tested anything they learned in that class under any sort of pressure attempting to give others advice/recommendations/information and/or telling other individuals the advice they give is invalid.
                        Just so we're clear, I don't do this. Just because I found something works the best for me doesn't mean that I recommend it to others.

In any event, I think that this was cleared up in the other thread. I hope it's not wishful thinking.
                        Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.

Comment

In re: BUGs, been looking at some hammerless .38 snubs, S&W and Taurus in particular. Wondering why there's such a wide disparity in prices on the S&W models; seeing a range from about $250ish to $600 plus, and for new guns. Taurus, of course, is cheaper, but heck, it's Taurus; plus they have 6-shooter models as well as fivers--if one extra shot tickles your fancy. Any of them would make good pocket pistols. Ace2
                          BUG's have limited utility for CCW, I think. Having said that, I don't criticize those who carry one. It's up to the individual.

Comment

We have it on poor authority here that any attack any of us suffers will be too fast and done before we know it (wish I had that skill, to know what's gonna happen to other people before it does), so there won't be time to use a BUG even if it's needed. BUT guns are mechanical devices, and mechanical devices fail sometimes. Odds are low, but IF the situation requires a reload, sometimes a second gun is quicker than the reload. Having a second--for some people, even a third--tool ready if needed seems a good idea. There is also the possibility of needing to arm an unarmed companion; having a BUG makes that possible. Plus, depending on mode of carry, if things look or feel 'hinky' (a professional tactical term), but hasn't reached the 'holy spit!' stage, having a gun in hand in a pocket can be faster than waiting for the 'hs!' moment, than trying to clear a cover garment and draw. Quite often, my BUG goes into the vest or coat pocket, as in walking through parking lots or other areas lurkers may be lurking--gun in hand, and nobody is offended because they don't know. Great for those times when drawing, even to a surreptitious mode, isn't warranted, or possible because of, say, a crowd or passersby.
                            'Limited utility'? Agreed. Then again, the EDC gun in the holster has 'limited utility', just adding weight, bulk, and responsibility to the 'daily doings'---until it's needed. I tend to use the spare tire analogy (the one in the trunk or the truck bed, not the one above my belt). Most understand, some don't. Ace2
                            Last edited by Ace; 06-23-2019, 19:31.

Comment

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
                              http://youtu.be/ei8OK4WdoW0
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CuH...e=channel_page
                              http://www.stoppingpower.net/comment...tervention.asp
                              http://youtu.be/wXwPtP-KDNk
                              https://youtu.be/Iy71umadb6k

Comment

Working...
                              X