No announcement yet.

BUG?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happened across this video a moment ago, and was reminded of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUxYXwbP3nI
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
    I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Comment

Good video; brief for the subject, but well-pointed. Ace2
      Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Thankfully things change. It is a good source of confirmation bias for those who are into that sort of thing. Hopefully that video wasn't created in 2015.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
          Thankfully things change. It is a good source of confirmation bias for those who are into that sort of thing. Hopefully that video wasn't created in 2015.
          There is pre beard Ayoob in 2000 when I took his class, and then beard Ayoob.

So the vid is after 2000

I still want someone to do an unbiased test on which is faster, a reload or drawing a BUG and no I don't have a BUG to try iy with 'cause I have no use for them

I can't remember who it was that said it but I thought it was an interesting take, it was something like, we expect a barely capable BUG that should be no one's first choice to get us out of a situation that our service pistol couldn't
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Two things, ricco:
            1) The BUG is sometimes, not always, faster than a reload, depending on a lot of different factors. The main reason for a BUG is if the primary fails (it's a mechanical device, and mechanical devices malfunction sometimes). Another reason is if the gun hand gets injured and/or the primary is damaged from a bullet, the BUG can help you stay in the fight. Getting hit in the gun hand or arm is not unusual; bad guys, like good guys, tend to zero in on whatever is scaring them at the moment--which is usually the weapon the other guy is going to use against you.
            2) I agree on the 'take' of the 'barely capable BUG'; this is assuming the BUG is a pacifier rather than a useful tool (not to denigrate the 'any caliber/bullet is OK, it doesn't matter' nonsense some people hold to). I like the example of 'Well, my nine rounds of .45 didn't stop him, so let me pull my 5-shooter .38 out, if that doesn't stop him, I'll pull my 6-shot .32 and try, and if that don't work, maybe six shots of .25acp, or maybe the 2-shooter .22Mag derringer will do it, and if that don't work, I'll try my boot knife.' The BUG needs to be in a decent caliber with a proper defensive load, unless, as mentioned, you carry it as a pacifier--that is, just to make you feel good to have a gun, any gun, available.

One thing I noticed in the video, he didn't seem to have any problem getting the gun out of his pocket. With big pockets, like in most tacticool pants or khakis and such, with a good pocket holster, drawing isn't the difficulty some 'experts' here like to rag on. Blue jeans and such can be a different matter.
            He also didn't have any problem dropping it when it was empty (having the hay bale of hay or a blankie or other soft 'catcher' is a good idea for training times, no need to bang up the gun unnecessarily).
            Like I said, a good video, brief but on point. Ace2
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Faster, why so much focus on faster? What does faster really get us. How much does faster play in minimizing injury or death? What does faster in a controlled environment such as a range where we've laid out soft things to drop our handgun on?

If we're laying out a soft thing such as a bale of hay to drop our weapon on how are we moving like we should? Well we can't. So were not practicing something more important to pi or survival to practice something that's somewhat silly and practicing that thing in a manner in which you're not likely to do it in an actual fight. Waste of time and resources? Seems so.

Ace, try drawing a small revolver from your pocket while moving in a manner which would effect the attackers ability to harm you. I'm guessing, just a hunch, not because I've seen it many times, it might not go how you'd like.

The gun is a pacifier for the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

There is pre beard Ayoob in 2000 when I took his class, and then beard Ayoob.

So the vid is after 2000

I still want someone to do an unbiased test on which is faster, a reload or drawing a BUG and no I don't have a BUG to try iy with 'cause I have no use for them

I can't remember who it was that said it but I thought it was an interesting take, it was something like, we expect a barely capable BUG that should be no one's first choice to get us out of a situation that our service pistol couldn't
                Post 2k? Yikes.

Comment

Working...
                X