Bill Jordan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Jordan

If you have some years on you and read gun magazines 40+ years ago you will remember reading Skelton, Askins, Keith and Bill Jordan among others

Bill Jordan was my favorite writer in those halcyon days, taking my first steps into a life long interest

I miss reading Bill Jordan, thank goodness for video

If you miss this, you miss history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YU...8I&app=desktop
    Last edited by ricco; 07-01-2019, 01:57.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

I met Bill Jordan at the NRA Convention in Chicago. 1968 as I recall .
    His book, NO SECOND PLACE WINNER mentions the BP had gun battles on the Mexican border every night. Sometimes several on one night.
    Last edited by Jim Macklin; 07-01-2019, 19:41.
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

The video is so misogynist and politically incorrect by today's standards, I'm surprised they even let it stay on Youtube. Glad they did, though. He was one of the best; knew gunfighting from real life, and could sit in 'polite' company without scaring everybody. No Second Place Winner has a lot of good information on that 'real life' aspect, plus some good stories to illustrate it. A little anachronistic on preparing leather holsters for use, though, but it worked then. His holster design is still one of the best for duty revolvers today; just that not many understand or practice the concept of 'duty revolver' anymore. Ace2
      Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Respectfully, things have come a long way, thankfully. Those "safe" wax bullets, that OC holster with 0 retention,... I was happy to hear him speak on the difference b/w how an officer would like to shoot and how they'd most likely not have the luxury. Before my time but it was a cool video.

I wonder how similar a gunfight between illegals and the BP to a lone civilian defending their life? If it's anything like what you'd have with other governmental agencies like the Army and bands of terrorists I'd assume not very. I've never been BP so...
        Last edited by mjkeat; 07-01-2019, 18:46.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

I thought the exhibition rig was interesting. It was a great video with one of the best combat shooters ever.

Thanks for posting it ricco.
          Last edited by gerhard1; 07-01-2019, 23:32.
          Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
          The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
          I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Comment

Jordan advocated using the safety strap on the holster when there would be vigorous activity, like crawling around boxcars or wrestling with miscreants; otherwise, he said, the gun should be accessible without no stinkin' straps getting in the way.. Ace2
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Jordan said to unsnap the strap when getting out of the vehicle. That way the suspect/witnesses would not see an offensive move. If a foot chase or fight began, he said to snap the strap.
              The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
              If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
              I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                Jordan advocated using the safety strap on the holster when there would be vigorous activity, like crawling around boxcars or wrestling with miscreants; otherwise, he said, the gun should be accessible without no stinkin' straps getting in the way.. Ace2

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
                Jordan said to unsnap the strap when getting out of the vehicle. That way the suspect/witnesses would not see an offensive move. If a foot chase or fight began, he said to snap the strap.
                Yes, part of the reasons I'm so glad there's this thing g called evolution.

So when do we know when and where we're going to be doing the things that require the strap and the things that don't? What happens when we need to present the gun? Is it strapped or not? The BG that grabs our gun from behind while we're messing with the debit card reader that doesn't seem to want to read our card? Consistency is a huge contributor to efficiency.

And what about context? ​LEO types teaching LEO stuff to civilians for civilian self defense stuff is silly.

Reactive vs. Proactive. Two totally different things.
                Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Working...
                X