This Is Why You Mind Your Own Business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GMC70 View Post

Because we are fellow human beings. Because you harden your own heart when you turn away from someone in need when you have the means to help.

Because we're called to be better than that. Because that's what separates us from them.

Because that is what we are called to do. Luke 10:25-37;
    What have you done lately to make you more likely to be able to fight off an attack?
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
      Thirty, maybe longer, years ago a woman was attacked for an hour on the streets of NYC. Nobody called the cops. She died.

Kansas should not be NYC.
      People are people, it doesn't matter what city they live in
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by GMC70 View Post

Because we are fellow human beings. Because you harden your own heart when you turn away from someone in need when you have the means to help.

Because we're called to be better than that. Because that's what separates us from them.

Because that is what we are called to do. Luke 10:25-37;

I do love my neighbor, I tell them about the saving grace of Jesus Christ, and other things that are of only earthly value

Anyway, getting back to the Good Samaritan

Did the Good Samaritan risk having a civil suit filed against him

Did the Good Samaritan have to involve himself with law enforcement

Mans flawed laws very often get in the way of us doing God's perfect will

So rather than just looking at the often thrown about meaning of the Good Samaritan, let's look at what it really means

When Jesus Christ was on the earth he was still God and being God he knew men's heart's, he knew what was important to them

Nothing should be more important than God, not your family, not your country, not your position in the community, not your money, nothing, these are are all temporary and of only earthly importance

When people would ask Jesus what they must do to be saved he would look into their hearts and find the thing they cherished the most

Looking into the lawyers heart he saw that the lawyer's status was very important to him, that is why in the parable Jesus used a Samaritan, at that time Samaritans were thought poorly of by Jews

It was the same when the rich man ask Jesus what he must do to be saved, he looked into the rich young rulers heart and saw that money was most important to him, Jesus told the rich man he must rid himself of his earthly possessions

Matthew 19:16-24 King James Version (KJV)
        16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
        Last edited by ricco; 07-11-2019, 19:04.
        "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
          If I see something, even if I don't intervene directly, I'll at least call the police. Not to do so is unethical and un-Christian. I agree with Macklin here.
          Do you really want to involve yourself with the police when it's unnecessary, you involve yourself in other peoples business and you never know what lies they will tell about you, people lie, you know that.......right? I'll bet that you believe so much that people WANT to do the right thing (how friggin' laughable) that you think CCW insurance is unnecessary cause truth, justice and the american way is a real thing and not just the load of BS that it really is

Being un-Christian has nothing to do with it, calling the police doesn't determine whether or not you are a Christian, those are earthly concerns

Ethics, whose ethics, the Christian, the islamist, the abortionist, the atheist, the satanist, the humanist, the communist, the fascist, etc,.....whose ethics shall we use

But by all means go ahead and get involved in things that aren't your concern, but when it goes sideways don't come here and complain about it cause you already know what my response will be

Comment

Ricco, Lets make sure we trade places if you are ever on an airplane sitting on an exit row...

I take it back, you would be good by the door because you would make sure you got out, thus the rest of us would be able to...
            Last edited by Dmog; 07-11-2019, 21:05.
            Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

Comment

Originally posted by Dmog View Post
              Ricco, Lets make sure we trade places if you are ever on an airplane sitting on an exit row...
              Sure no problem, but if the airplane makes a smoking hole in the ground I don't think it matters where we are sitting

Although, if we aren't in our assigned seats it might make identification more difficult

Ya know, an arm here, a leg there.............yuk

ETA

Reminds of Ron White

Ron White Near Miss Plane Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-LmkLFJg0

Last edited by ricco; 07-11-2019, 21:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmog View Post
                I take it back, you would be good by the door because you would make sure you got out, thus the rest of us would be able to...
                I dunno, what if it's a water landing, opening the door might cause a leak, water rushing in, air rushing out and all like that, that would be bad, very very bad

See ya gotta think about all the possibilities before going off all willy nilly opening doors and everything

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

Sure no problem, but if the airplane makes a smoking hole in the ground I don't think it matters where we are sitting

Although, if we aren't in our assigned seats it might make identification more difficult

Ya know, an arm here, a leg there.............yuk

ETA

Reminds of Ron White

Ron White Near Miss Plane Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH-LmkLFJg0

LOL, ainít that the truth! My favorite is the small plane and the pilot using the PA when he could just turn around...been there
                  Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
                    If I see something, even if I don't intervene directly, I'll at least call the police. Not to do so is unethical and un-Christian. I agree with Macklin here.
                    Thank you Gary.
                    I'm now getting old. Been stuck in a wheelchair, bed or recliner since February. I am unable to intervene. I am also a target since I look "easy." So I depend on cellphones and 911 for medical rescue.
                    But I can call 911 for the police if there is something I see or even hear. Usually I say "I do not need police to stop and see me" because I report all I know.

Gun shots, screams, seeing a mugging or worse, I report.
                    The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                    If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                    I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

I do love my neighbor, I tell them about the saving grace of Jesus Christ, and other things that are of only earthly value

Anyway, getting back to the Good Samaritan

Did the Good Samaritan risk having a civil suit filed against him

Did the Good Samaritan have to involve himself with law enforcement

Mans flawed laws very often get in the way of us doing God's perfect will

So rather than just looking at the often thrown about meaning of the Good Samaritan, let's look at what it really means

When Jesus Christ was on the earth he was still God and being God he knew men's heart's, he knew what was important to them

Nothing should be more important than God, not your family, not your country, not your position in the community, not your money, nothing, these are are all temporary and of only earthly importance

When people would ask Jesus what they must do to be saved he would look into their hearts and find the thing they cherished the most

Looking into the lawyers heart he saw that the lawyer's status was very important to him, that is why in the parable Jesus used a Samaritan, at that time Samaritans were thought poorly of by Jews

It was the same when the rich man ask Jesus what he must do to be saved, he looked into the rich young rulers heart and saw that money was most important to him, Jesus told the rich man he must rid himself of his earthly possessions

Ricco, I think the parable of the good Samaritan is exactly on point, and I'm not misunderstanding it or stretching it beyond its intent. It's easy to say you love your neighbor. But which of the Samaritan's neighbors really loved him? One need not be reckless, but I can't just walk away and do nothing.

We all get it: You're for you, and the rest of you are on your own. You'll do NOTHING that has even a slight bit of risk to yourself. That's who you are. If you're comfortable with that, well, OK. I'm not.

Is there a risk in assisting your brother? Sure; life is full of risks. Walking across the street is a risk. What is the risk of NOT getting involved? Can I sleep at night? "What does it profiteth a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?"
                      "In Heaven there will be no law, and the lion will lie down with the Lamb... In Hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will Be meticulously observed". - Professor Grant Gilmore, Yale Law School

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
                        Thirty, maybe longer, years ago a woman was attacked for an hour on the streets of NYC. Nobody called the cops. She died.

Kansas should not be NYC.
                        This was posted in the wrong thread, so I C&P'd it to here.

ricco has a valid point about not being a hero but I think that he takes the idea to an unreasonable extreme. Albert Seedman who was in charge of the Kitty Genovese case in 1964, made the point that if just one of the three dozen witnesses had called it in that Miss Genovese would have likely survived, because the killer came back and finished her off about a quarter of an hour later.

Reporting a crime can save an innocent life.
                        Last edited by gerhard1; 07-12-2019, 17:29.
                        Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
                        The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
                        I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Comment

Interesting thing, the OP has been forgotten

So tell me, what is best, getting a beer and watching TV or grabbing you blaster and go running off into the night to save the neighborhood

How come when I ask about a real life incident all I get is crickets
                          Last edited by ricco; 07-13-2019, 02:14.

Comment

QUOTE=GMC70;n1110735] Ricco, I think the parable of the good Samaritan is exactly on point, and I'm not misunderstanding it or stretching it beyond its intent. It's easy to say you love your neighbor.But which of the Samaritan's neighbors really loved him? One need not be reckless, but I can't just walk away and do nothing.

We all get it: You're for you, and the rest of you are on your own. You'll do NOTHING that has even a slight bit of risk to yourself. That's who you are. If you're comfortable with that, well, OK. I'm not.

Is there a risk in assisting your brother? Sure; life is full of risks. Walking across the street is a risk. What is the risk of NOT getting involved? Can I sleep at night? "
                            What does it profiteth a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?"[/QUOTE]

"But which of the Samaritan's neighbors really loved him?"

I'm not sure I understand the question, the parable only says the Samaritan rescued an injured man and not whether anyone loved him

Again, not what the parable is about

"It's easy to say you love your neighbor."

I said I do love my neighbor, I tell them about Jesus which Jesus commands that all Christians do, that is far more important than ANY earthly problem, Jesus also said we should give to the poor, I do that as well

Do you think it is easy to be a witness for Jesus Christ, what is easy is to make a phone call, what is difficult is to tell an unsaved person what their eternity will be, not many people want to hear that. All but one Apostle died for it, missionaries die for it, Christians in many places in the world today are being tortured and are dying for it. Christians in the free USA have it easier than most we are only deprived of jobs, have Church buildings vandalized, lose friends, are beaten and spit on all for doing what God commands us to do. But that's okay we know it going in, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." ~ Matthew 10:22

"What does it profiteth a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?"

Let's finish what Jesus was telling us, it has nothing to do with helping your neighbor, what Jesus is talking about is being ashamed of being one of his followers

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
                            ~ Mark: 36-38

A person cannot lose their soul by not making a phone call, when you reach the age of accountability, knowing right from wrong, you are of your father the devil. Until you accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour your father is the devil, it doesn't matter what you do, if you are best person in the world or the worst, unless you ask God the Father for salvation through Jesus Christ your eternity is hell, so let's stop with all the good works stuff as a means of salvation
                            Last edited by ricco; 07-13-2019, 04:37.

Comment

QUOTE=GMC70;n1110735] Ricco, I think the parable of the good Samaritan is exactly on point, and I'm not misunderstanding it or stretching it beyond its intent. It's easy to say you love your neighbor.But which of the Samaritan's neighbors really loved him? One need not be reckless, but I can't just walk away and do nothing.

Is there a risk in assisting your brother? Sure; life is full of risks. Walking across the street is a risk. What is the risk of NOT getting involved? Can I sleep at night? "
                              What does it profiteth a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?"

"But which of the Samaritan's neighbors really loved him?"

I'm not sure I understand the question, the parable only says the Samaritan rescued an injured man and not whether anyone loved him

Again, not what the parable is about

"It's easy to say you love your neighbor."

I said I do love my neighbor, I tell them about Jesus which Jesus commands that all Christians do, that is far more important than ANY earthly problem, Jesus also said we should give to the poor, I do that as well

Do you think it is easy to be a witness for Jesus Christ, what is easy is to make a phone call, what is difficult is to tell an unsaved person what their eternity will be, not many people want to hear that. All but one Apostle died for it, missionaries die for it, Christians in many places in the world today are being tortured and are dying for it. Christians in the free USA have it easier than most we are only deprived of jobs, have Church buildings vandalized, lose friends, are beaten and spit on all for doing what God commands us to do. But that's okay we know it going in, "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." ~ Matthew 10:22

"What does it profiteth a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?"

Let's finish what Jesus was telling us, it has nothing to do with helping your neighbor, what Jesus is talking about is being ashamed of being one of his followers

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
                              ~ Mark: 36-38

A person cannot lose their soul by not making a phone call, when you reach the age of accountability, knowing right from wrong, you are of your father the devil. Until you accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour your father is the devil, it doesn't matter what you do, if you are best person in the world or the worst, unless you ask God the Father for salvation through Jesus Christ your eternity is hell, so let's stop with all the good works stuff as a means of salvation[/QUOTE]

We are saved, true enough, by grace through faith, not works. But faith without works is dead. It is not faith, it is empty words. It is not enough to love our neighbor in thought, or words, only. Loving our neighbor without works to demonstrate that love isnít love at all. And I wonder whether it is indeed faith. Itís a dead faith, which is the same as none at all.
                              "In Heaven there will be no law, and the lion will lie down with the Lamb... In Hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will Be meticulously observed". - Professor Grant Gilmore, Yale Law School

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

Comment

[/QUOTE]We are saved, true enough, by grace through faith, not works. But faith without works is dead. It is not faith, it is empty words. It is not enough to love our neighbor in thought, or words, only. Loving our neighbor without works to demonstrate that love isnít love at all. And I wonder whether it is indeed faith. Itís a dead faith, which is the same as none at all. [/QUOTE]

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been on another forum debating with the owner about weird (his word, not mine) Christians trying to witness to him. I'm guessing I'll get the ban hammer for sure over this, that's okay I'll survive

So anyway

I get what you are saying and yes faith without works is dead, James 2:17 KJV

That said, the Christian has to careful about what he does, we can bring as much shame on our Christian beliefs for trying to do things we are unable to do as for not doing anything at all. How many times have you heard about the "Christian" who made a mistake and was lampooned for it. When was the last time you heard about an "atheist" who was lampooned for making a mistake. It's how the devil works

That doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything but it does mean we shouldn't let our ego's get the best of us and do things we are not prepared to do. Jesus was most concerned that people have eternal life by following him and that we care for the poor and needy.

Christians don't do good works to become Christians we do good works because we are Christians

So just for the sake of discussion let's look at James 2:14 KJV, "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?. We see a question mark at the end of the verse.', we are being ask a question. My opinion, a person that doesn't do any good works never was a Christian, a Christian has to care first and foremost about the unsaved, if there isn't a desire to help people see their place in eternity how can they love their neighbor in the way Jesus said we should

James 2:15 KJV is really interesting, "If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food," we don't know for sure who wrote the book of James but we do know that James was a letter written primarily to Christians and we know the term "brother or sister" means bother or sister in Christ

So when we look at the second chapter of James in it's totality we see that we are being admonished to take care of our brothers and sisters in Christ. We know this because the first verse of chapter 2 starts with "My brethren,".

We also need to remember that it wasn't until Paul was told to take Jesus word to the Gentiles that it really began being taught outside the Jewish community
                                Last edited by ricco; 07-15-2019, 03:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X