What Once Was Old Is New Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Once Was Old Is New Again

Just got my *** handed to me by the owner of another forum, talk of being banned and such

It seems that after more than a decade of pushing an idea that made a dyed in the wool 1911 guy like me nervous, that being thumb safeties weren't really necessary I got on the bandwagon

Now it seems that thumb safeties are all the rage again, especially if you AIWB, to the point he is offering a thumb safety modification for your Glock

So it appears that I was wrong for thinking they were necessary and now I am wrong for thinking they aren't necessary

Oh well.............
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

They still aren't necessary even in the slightest on guns like the Glock. Dude doesn't want you cutting into his $. People are dumb.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

I agree with a proper holster choice for AIWB carry weapon, there should be no risk of accidental discharge on the draw. Putting it back in the holster is the risk if you bunch your shirt up and jam the dam thing back in there, it could go bang. But that would be stupid, now wouldn't it? A thumb safety wont fix stupid...
      Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

Comment

Might not fix it, but might divert it a little. Ace2
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmog View Post
          I agree with a proper holster choice for AIWB carry weapon, there should be no risk of accidental discharge on the draw. Putting it back in the holster is the risk if you bunch your shirt up and jam the dam thing back in there, it could go bang. But that would be stupid, now wouldn't it? A thumb safety wont fix stupid...
          How much research and experimentation have you done with proper centerline presentation and carry?
          Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Not much. Enough that I feel confident enough to argue its benefits. I moved to AIWB carry with proper fitting holster and have become quite comfortable that is the way for me. Presentation and opportunity for presentation is superior in my opinion. Not only quicker, more natural movement, and safer presenting(I struggle with why people are concerned with accidental discharge as the firearm is presented as you are moving against the trigger direction as you draw). The discussions I have had and at the range the cover garment can be an issue when re-holstering it. I have experienced the bunching potential on all the waist area carrying positions if you do not use the "proper" technique. Done it on purpose to show a friend the reason in my opinion, you do not need a thumb safety on a trigger safety type pistol. The fear they had of shooting themselves in the junk was from an incident they heard about. I pointed out that incident happened because the person holstered their firearm and the cover garment was not moved aside properly, material bunched in the trigger area and even though they felt resistance in holstering, they continued to push the firearm into the holster causing the bunched shirt material to "pull the trigger". You maybe in a hurry to present your firearm, but why would you be in a hurry to holster it? I get that stress is a big factor and you maybe not be thinking straight when you go to holster after having to present your firearm, but if you had a safety, would you remember to re-engage if you are so stressed as to not holster in a methodical manner?

For those that choose to carry without a holster in lets say a purse or pocket(neither are my recommendations), well then I believe you would benefit from having a thumb safety.
            Its Dave, open up....Dave's not here!

gladium habens libertatem habet

Comment

I suppose there will always be the debate about whether or not to look at the holster when holstering the pistol, I think the debate is cop stuff that has carried over into CCW but whatever the reason the debate is likely to continue

My opinion, if we look the pistol into the holster we solve about 99% of potential problems

This is me but I don't let my trigger finger touch the pistol when holstering, I know that is going against what is being taught by almost everyone but I don't want the tactile sensation of my finger touching the pistol to become a part of the holstering process

I was watching a highly ranked competition shooter holster her pistol and adopted her method

She slowly lowered and looked the pistol into the holster and then opened her hand and pushed the pistol into it's locked position with her palm and with fingers splayed

Given she holsters hundreds of times a week, maybe more, during practice and competition it must be a good way to do it

I agree with Dmog, "but why would you be in a hurry to holster it?", take your time, there's no rush and you don't get points in class or in practice for having the fastest reholster

Also, when I practice I always wear some type of elastane compression under shirt usually UA, the slick finish of the elastane tends to let cover garment fall easily
              "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
              X