MOA dot ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOA dot ??

Got little sleep last night, been up since way before my usual get-up time, and having a brain fart; so....a 3moa dot, like say on a red dot scope, covers 3 inches at 100 yards, if I remember correctly. If so, does that mean at 50 yards it's only covering 1.5", at 25 yards, 3/4", at 200 yards, 6"? I useta know this, and probably after a good night's sleep the memory banks will clear up and I may know it tomorrow.
    Somebody re-educate me, or affirm it for me, please. Thanks. Ace2
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

you got it. Just remember there is a difference between shooters MOA and true MOA of 1.047" when/if you use it for ranging and windage. It's not so trivial at 600 yards and is the reason I shifted back to MILs. Not to insinuate that I'm a 600yd shooter. I'm more of a point and click shooter and stick to pistol ranges for most of my stuff. Pretty much every rifle I own is more accurate than I am. Maybe even shotgun...
    For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
    -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

The choice of reticle depends on how small the target is and how fast you need to be. A small [ fine ] crosswire/etched line, lets you see the details of the target but is slower to use. A big aiming point is faster but less accuarte if the point of impact is intended to be the center of the red dot. Shooting fast with the target on the top of the dot is accurate.

Whether a red dot or iron sight, target shooters on round bullseyes at known distances can see lateral miss alighment and know the bullet impact will be the center X when they sight in and take their time.
      SD shooting and hunting can be different since there is no known size paper target. but a general target area at an unknown distance. Kentucky windage and elevation matter at 50 yards or longer. At 7 yards or less a 2 or 3 MOA dot or laser spot shooter does worry about windage unless it is a hurricane or tornado.

It also matters on your budget.
      The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
      If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
      I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's warm and fuzzy to be validated. At my skill level, worrying about .047" would be laughable. I can shoot at 5-6-700+ yards, and always hit---something; kinda like I've never fired a shot, and missed. Every bullet and shotgun pellet has always hit something--just maybe not what I was trying for. Also, I've known about the 'punkin on a post' and 'dead on' sight pictures since Daddy explained them to me as a youngster. He taught me to put the front sight on the spot I wanted the bullet to go. Lotsa squirrels n' rabbits n' sich rue the day I caught on to the concept.

My concern it this case is, I picked up a scope with a circle-dot reticle, with a 3 MOA dot. I'd hoped for a 1 or 2 MOA, but didn't find one. For my purposes, I need to keep shots within less than 2" at about 50 yards, 1" would be ideal, but 1.5" is good enough. That should keep it inside a pig's ear at shorter ranges, and 3" is plenty suitable for pigs' ribs at longer distances, if that becomes necessary. So, I'll get this scope mounted, sighted in, and expect it to do the job if I do my part.

Thanks again for the help. Ace2
        Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Working...
        X