Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why?

The other day I was watching a real life video, a guy get's shot with a single handgun bullet in the torso and instantly falls forward unconscious, it looked like a boxer being ko'd

We know that people lose consciousness from a common handgun bullet wound to the torso for only one reason, blood loss

In this incident there wasn't enough time for that much blood loss to occur

So WHY did this fellow instantly face plant

I start thinking that when I did my research I missed something, something very important so I go over everything again, nothing, nada, zero, zilch

There is no physiological "only" reaction that would cause an instant lack of consciousness and yet it happened

If it's not physiological then it has to be, yeah, psychological

Fear causes fainting, a psychological reaction that manifests itself physiologically

Vasovagal syncope

Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope. The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly.

There is another term

Reflex Syncope.

"With some people as part of the ‘fight or flight’ response, their heart rate accelerates or races a little too much. And instead of coming down slowly like it normally would, the brain jams the brakes on too quickly. So the heart goes from beating rapidly to slowly and you faint,” said Jaradeh."

Interesting article

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ke-you-faint#1

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Is it possible that a lucky shot clipped the spinal chord, causing instant paralysis?

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      Is it possible that a lucky shot clipped the spinal chord, causing instant paralysis?
      Possible

The way he fell though, it gave the impression of a lack consciousness

He made no attempt at breaking his fall

The bullet appeared to have entered at low chest high abdomen, if there was a spinal injury it most likely would have been located in the Thoracic area

http://www.spinalinjury101.org/details/levels-of-injury
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Maybe you are wrong?
        Originally posted by kscardsfan
        Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Sometimes it just happens. Lotsa reasons somebody might fall down when they get shot.

Sometimes pain, some people have a low pain threshold.

Sometimes attitude, some people have it in mind if you get shot, you die--or at least can't fight back. In our training along this line, there was an account of a couple of patrol cops who got into a gunfight with some miscreants; one got hit in the thigh, non-fatal and not even incapacitating (well, shouldn't have been). He instantly gave up, told his partner he was dying and to tell his wife and kids he loved them--all the TV dramatic death scene kinda stuff. His partner chewed him out, told him to get up and keep fighting. The guy told something like 'No, I've been shot, I'm gonna die', and he did, just gave up and died because he was 'supposed' to.

Sometimes fear. It's scary to get shot, or shot at, and sometimes the mind just can't take it and overloads--that Vasovagal Syncope thing in post #1.

Sometimes it can be a lucky hit to the CNS, and the body just quits for a time even if the CNS hit isn't fatal.

Sometimes---well a lot of reasons. IF it ever happens when I'm facing an attack, I don't really care why. Just be glad it did--saves ammo, and give you time to deal with other issues of the moment. Ace2
          Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
            Maybe you are wrong?
            Nah. we'll have to wait for the facebook facts to come out.
            For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
            And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
            And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
            And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
            -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

There could be an infinite amount of reasons.
              Lol.
              She blinded me with Science!!!!
              Lol.

​​​​​
              Originally posted by mjkeat;
              The gun you have is better than the gun you don't.

Comment

Whatever answer you're most comfortable with.

It may not be the right or best diagnosis but hey, it's another diagnosis for the toolbox.

Der, just choot'em.

-------

The more we know about what might happen, including how our body may respond, the more efficiently we can deal with the situation.
                Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
                  Whatever answer you're most comfortable with.

It may not be the right or best diagnosis but hey, it's another diagnosis for the toolbox.

Der, just choot'em.

-------

The more we know about what might happen, including how our body may respond, the more efficiently we can deal with the situation.

Well if it works.... One shot is sometimes good (probably not). If not, two is better, if not, more... When do you know to stop?

Some departments are taught to shoot em till they are down. I have no problem with that. But you guys - just for the sake of argument...will say "Oh dear...for serious self-defense, that could be overkill...and you're gonna get sued and lose all your money and lifestyle to attorneys and judgements for using 4-5-6-7-9 whatever shots!

Which...we don't know that either so.... In KC or ICT...maybe.... anywhere else in KS...maybe not.

Hmmmm..Infinite possibilities.

​​​​Der...we don't know what we don't know. Lol.
                  Curious how that works for so many instances.

​​​​​​I skipped 8. Hmm. Don't know why. Huh..random...

... stuff happens.

So...do you know what the actual diagnosis of the aforementioned one-shot, drop dead on the spot? For a fact? If not...it's all speculation. Until you have the actual findings, I'm not comfortable with any answer being an answer.

But let's play "guess stuff" a forum and call it serious discussion. Or...Doctor Ricco, M.D. Lol. Weeeeeeee!!!!
                  Last edited by jagdawg; 08-10-2019, 22:23.
                  Originally posted by mjkeat;
                  The gun you have is better than the gun you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jagdawg View Post

Well if it works.... One shot is sometimes good (probably not). If not, two is better, if not, more... When do you know to stop?

Some departments are taught to shoot em till they are down. I have no problem with that. But you guys - just for the sake of argument...will say "Oh dear...for serious self-defense, that could be overkill...and you're gonna get sued and lose all your money and lifestyle to attorneys and judgements for using 4-5-6-7-9 whatever shots!

Which...we don't know that either so.... In KC or ICT...maybe.... anywhere else in KS...maybe not.

Hmmmm..Infinite possibilities.

​​​​Der...we don't know what we don't know. Lol.
                    Curious how that works for so many instances.

​​​​​​I skipped 8. Hmm. Don't know why. Huh..random...

... stuff happens.

So...do you know what the actual diagnosis of the aforementioned one-shot, drop dead on the spot? For a fact? If not...it's all speculation. Until you have the actual findings, I'm not comfortable with any answer being an answer.

But let's play "guess stuff" a forum and call it serious discussion. Or...Doctor Ricco, M.D. Lol. Weeeeeeee!!!!
                    What departments are taught to shoot them until they are down?

Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      Sometimes it just happens. Lotsa reasons somebody might fall down when they get shot.

Sometimes pain, some people have a low pain threshold.

Sometimes attitude, some people have it in mind if you get shot, you die--or at least can't fight back. In our training along this line, there was an account of a couple of patrol cops who got into a gunfight with some miscreants; one got hit in the thigh, non-fatal and not even incapacitating (well, shouldn't have been). He instantly gave up, told his partner he was dying and to tell his wife and kids he loved them--all the TV dramatic death scene kinda stuff. His partner chewed him out, told him to get up and keep fighting. The guy told something like 'No, I've been shot, I'm gonna die', and he did, just gave up and died because he was 'supposed' to.

Sometimes fear. It's scary to get shot, or shot at, and sometimes the mind just can't take it and overloads--that Vasovagal Syncope thing in post #1.

Sometimes it can be a lucky hit to the CNS, and the body just quits for a time even if the CNS hit isn't fatal.

Sometimes---well a lot of reasons. IF it ever happens when I'm facing an attack, I don't really care why. Just be glad it did--saves ammo, and give you time to deal with other issues of the moment. Ace2
                      This is called 'surrender death, and it's a well-known occurrence. ricco has posted numerous times on here about 'psychological stops'. Perhaps related to this, Milton Helpern, the one-time Chief Medical Examiner of New York City, told of people who have sensed that their own death was very near, and he states that this is not at all uncommon. The medicos even have a term for it: the thanatognomonic sign, and in the book Where Death Delights by Marshall Houts, he gives a few examples. This book is the source of the Latin quote in my sig line.

I even wrote a short story with this theme.
                      Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
                      The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.
                      I don't know why I'm better with revolvers, keat so please stop asking.

Comment

I had an uncle who fainted at the sight of blood. Any blood.
                        The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                        If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                        I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Working...
                        X