Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's this for a safety-switch solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's this for a safety-switch solution?

Spent some time today at the square range (well, more of a rectangular range) working with my old BUG/OD gun, a S&W 669. Haven't shot it for about three years or so, decided to have some fun and do a little re-FAM with it (how's that for tacticool talk?). Took a couple reps to refresh the muscle memory re: first shot DA, then going to SA, but it wouldn't be an insurmountable issue in real life--especially with some dry fire time. Found out that my tendency to shoot a bit to the left has carried over to this gun, though BITD I could shoot it POA just fine with the rear sight centered. No problem, I'll just drift the rear sight to the right to compensate--which I've had to do with most of my other pistols. Must be an age thing.

Didn't get to do any draw'n'fire exercises, too many other people on the range, but while I was refreshing the magazine at one point, a thought occurred: Since our local 'expert' is so adamantly against safeties, and only MSFP's are suitable for social work, well, why not adapt, improvise, and overcome the 'safety lever bad' issue? Most MSFP's have light, easy-to-trip triggers; when the DA/SA pistol is in SA mode, it has a light, easy-to-trip trigger. Sooo....why not just carry that pistol with the hammer cocked and safety off? Same effect, and somebody who only has a DA/SA pistol, which he/she is probably already familiar with, wouldn't need to spend money on another gun, and have to get used to it? Surely the light SA trigger on a cocked DA/SA would be no more dangerous or prone to accidentally touching off a shot than a light-triggered MSFP, would it? And, considering the way-too-many-times MSFP's are accidentally/inadvertently fired when holstering (not counting other times it happens), well, the cocked hammer would provide an additional level of safeness when holstering. How, you ask? Why, it's quite easy to simply hold the hammer back with your thumb as you holster; if any pressure or resistance is felt (such as from clothing or part of the holster getting into the trigger guard and pressing on the trigger), the thumb on the hammer will prevent it from falling, thus preventing an unwanted discharge. And the cocked, holstered gun surely would be no more dangerous than a MSFP in the same condition; after all, in simple terms, the 'S' in MSFP stands for 'Striker', which is basically a partially-cocked hammer. Now, maybe some of the big-name trainers out there should take a look at this concept, maybe even start including it in their curriculum. If certain ones would, then surely our local 'expert' would feel compelled to agree, and poof, there goes all the arguments and butt-hurt found here when anyone suggests carrying a pistol with a safety--our 'expert' would have nothing to complain about. Heck, he could even advocate it himself when some poor ignorant mere mortal dares to confess to carrying a safety-equipped pistol; wouldn't that make him look....well, credible (at least a little bit).

Now, since we don't have a tongue-in-cheek smiley available here, I honestly hope anybody reading the second paragraph understands I am not suggesting or advocating that anyone actually try this. If, though, you read it and think it was serious--the second paragraph, that is--please take the time to flip on your facetiousness switch, and re-read it. Thank you. Ace2
    Last edited by Ace; 08-15-2019, 21:56.
    Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Pure genius. May pack the 3913.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Comment

If it's drop safe why not
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Damn....my J frame has an enclosed hammer.
        So "sub-par" that I can't carry it cocked.
        Silly double-action.
        (Sad face....)
        Originally posted by mjkeat;
        The gun you have is better than the gun you don't.

Comment

Well, just give me your J-frame and go get yourself a new, hammered revawver. I'd try to bear up under the handicap. Ace2

Comment

Some of my favorite moments on the range came when those who tried to be sneaky drove their gun to full extension, pressed the trigger and nothing happened. They'd generally press the trigger 2 or more times, each time with more aggressively, confused as they didn't realize what they had done. I'd stand there and watch for a second then say something. It happened a lot yet never got old. Not even a little. My all time favorite was when they'd cant the gun, cocking their head, absolutely oblivious.

I'd explain that guns should be used as they were designed so if the persons handgun had any sort of manual safety or decocker they would be expected to use it.

I get why people tried to cheat the system but there's a reason for using the gun as designed and range safety was but one.
            Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Ace, Iím curious what those that embrace The Modern Method do about shotguns and rifles.
              Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
                Ace, Iím curious what those that embrace The Modern Method do about shotguns and rifles.
                This will be good. I challenge Ace to respond to that question seriously. I'd really like to hear what he has to say about it. Maybe you'd like to take a stab at it.
                Last edited by mjkeat; 08-16-2019, 06:11.

Comment

Tom, there's a previous thread somewhere with pictures of patterns purportedly shot by our local 'expert' with a rifle-AR it I recall correctly--and red dot, at a fairly short range--25 yards, if I recall correctly--that would give some insight to your question. Ace2

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                    Tom, there's a previous thread somewhere with pictures of patterns purportedly shot by our local 'expert' with a rifle-AR it I recall correctly--and red dot, at a fairly short range--25 yards, if I recall correctly--that would give some insight to your question. Ace2
                    Searching, FuDd IN ThE FoRuM, will pull it up.
                    01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                      A guy plinking on a static range would give insight into how one would use a firearm in the context of a sudden assualt?

And, "at a fairly short range--25 yards..." 25 yards is short range in the context of self defense?
                      Last edited by mjkeat; 08-16-2019, 17:01.

Comment

I do not subscribe to any gun mags, are there MSF shotguns and rifles? All mine have hammers and safety switch on them

Comment

I'm not aware of any, but no doubt those who advocate MSFP-only carry their rifles and shotguns with the safety disengaged. Wouldn't want to add any inefficient steps to the process, or something. Ace2

Comment

I don't like being dependent on safeties

If the rifle or shotgun is in my hands I like the safety to be off

If the rifle or shotgun is loaded and not in my hands the safety is on

Difference between rifles/shotguns and handguns is that when the pistol isn't in my hands it is protected by a holster, the rifle/shotgun is not
                            "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

So you can trust your self with a safety on a long gun. But not a pistol?

Comment

Working...
                              X