Teaching or training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching or training

Over the years Iíve trained quite a few people, and taught some.

To me, training is repeating a task till you are proficient.

Teaching is guiding someone to think their way through a task.

I dont recall berating someone, or refusing to answer a question.

Im beginning to think this forum has very little educational value. I feel sorry for the lurkers.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
    Over the years I’ve trained quite a few people, and taught some.

To me, training is repeating a task till you are proficient.

Teaching is guiding someone to think their way through a task.

I dont recall berating someone, or refusing to answer a question.

Im beginning to think this forum has very little educational value. I feel sorry for the lurkers.
    Training is where instructors educate and students learn skills, practice is where we develop those skills through repetition in context, then we need to evaluate our ability to apply skill.

Sharing, both bad and good, is what happens here in KSCCW occassionally when people aren't throwing fits because they can't make a counter point but also can't stand the hurt in their butts.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

How the hell do you call not answering questions sharing?
      Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

Comment

Originally posted by Not so big Tom View Post
        How the hell do you call not answering questions sharing?
        Link to where someone said not answering questions is sharing?

Comment

I was told there is a "teacher" and an "instructor"

To break it down to the most basic terms

An instructor tells you that 2+2=4, think USMC DI

A teacher tells you why 2+2=4, think medical diagnosis class

As far as non-aggressive vs aggressive training methods it depends on who and what is being taught

When I teach Tai Chi classes an aggressive teaching / training method would be inappropriate and would run counter to the very essence of Tai Chi

When I was teaching Muay Thai an aggressive teaching style was appropriate given the purpose of Thai Boxing

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Those who can play, play.

Those who cannot, teach.
            01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

Some do both

Matter of fact most do both
              "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

I've always explained to students that there is Instruction, Training, and Teaching. Instruction is telling a student(s) something they are required to hear; Training is helping students to make a particular response to a particular stimulus; Teaching is educating student as to the 'why' a particular response is/is not appropriate.
                As in, CCH class is primarily 'Instruction'--the State requires that students be provided certain information. 'Training' would be, for example, helping students learn the process of 'Access/Draw/Present/Shoot'. 'Teaching' would be helping students understand why or when, for example, it is appropriate to shoot or don't shoot; or why certain laws exist; or what to expect after an incident; and so on. Some, maybe most, classes involve a combination of the three. Ace2
                Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                  I've always explained to students that there is Instruction, Training, and Teaching. Instruction is telling a student(s) something they are required to hear; Training is helping students to make a particular response to a particular stimulus; Teaching is educating student as to the 'why' a particular response is/is not appropriate.
                  As in, CCH class is primarily 'Instruction'--the State requires that students be provided certain information. 'Training' would be, for example, helping students learn the process of 'Access/Draw/Present/Shoot'. 'Teaching' would be helping students understand why or when, for example, it is appropriate to shoot or don't shoot; or why certain laws exist; or what to expect after an incident; and so on. Some, maybe most, classes involve a combination of the three. Ace2
                  Where's my invite?

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

Where's my invite?
                    Hereís your invite. Youíre invited to answer some of those pesky questions you hate so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Willfully Armed View Post
                      Those who can play, play.

Those who cannot, teach.
                      There's a 3rd...

Those who can do, do
                      Those that can't do teach
                      Those who can do neither, post chit on forums
                      The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post

There's a 3rd...

Those who can do, do
                        Those that can't do teach
                        Those who can do neither, post chit on forums
                        Factually incorrect plenty of examples in sports and shooting.
                        Last edited by mjkeat; 10-13-2019, 18:36.

Comment

Working...
                        X