kansas private gun sale requirements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kansas private gun sale requirements

Can someone give me a summary of what I need to do in kansas to stay legal if I sell a few of my personal guns?
    Pull....Bang!......(lost)..........Pull...Bang!... ...(lost)...... Having some fun now! :biggrin:
    NRA Life Member
    Kansas Rifle Association Life Member

ATA, KTA Member

Get money for them.

Seriously, in Kansas it's pretty easy. Don't sell them to a felon or prohibited person and you should be OK. Many folks do insist on a bill of sale and seeing some sort of ID in order to verify that the buyer is NOT a prohibited person, or to create a CYA paper trail.

I daresay one of our pundits will be along shortly to cite chapter and verse of the law.
    DoubleTap IDPA / Purveyor and Repairer of Small Arms
    www.flyingmonkeygunworks.com
    SilencerShop Powered NFA Dealer

Comment

Provided you're not an FFL, you can meet someone who is not a felon FTF (some people require CCH as proof of not a felon) and trade them the money for the gun. Or the gun for the gun, or whatever. No paperwork is required. Some people will write up a bill of sale- make, model, sn, condition, as is, etc...- for records just in case, but most don't.

That's it.

That's provided that both parties are KS residents. If one is a MO resident, it has to go through an FFL as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket220 View Post
        Provided you're not an FFL, you can meet someone who is not a felon FTF (some people require CCH as proof of not a felon) and trade them the money for the gun. Or the gun for the gun, or whatever. No paperwork is required. Some people will write up a bill of sale- make, model, sn, condition, as is, etc...- for records just in case, but most don't.

That's it.

That's provided that both parties are KS residents. If one is a MO resident, it has to go through an FFL as far as I know.

So I can only sell to kansas residents unless we go through a FFL?
        Pull....Bang!......(lost)..........Pull...Bang!... ...(lost)...... Having some fun now! :biggrin:
        NRA Life Member

ATA, KTA Member

Comment

Correct.

Same with shipping. Say you sell one to someone in southwest Kansas, it has to be shipped to an FFL then as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dukefan View Post
            Can someone give me a summary of what I need to do in Kansas to stay legal if I sell a few of my personal guns?
            Intrastate sales in Kansas, just check that the buyer is a Kansas resident.
            Takes such steps as you feel comfortable to assure yourself that the buyer isn't prohibited by state of federal law.

Kansas does not require that you provide a bill of sale or keep records, but both of those are a sensible idea.

Federal law Title 18, 922 and maybe 926, Kansas State law, KSA 21-4201, 21-4204,and 4204a
            The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
            If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
            I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

So I can only sell to kansas residents unless we go through a FFL?
              This is true for handguns but long guns can IIRC, be sold to residents of states that actually border on Kansas. Right, James?
              Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
              The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
                This is true for handguns but long guns can IIRC, be sold to residents of states that actually border on Kansas. Right, James?
                Not by an unlicensed person, interstate requires an FFL.

IIRC, since a change in the law, an FFL can sell and deliver a long gun from his place of business to a US citizen from any state that has a interstate sales provision. Handguns can be sold by any dealer [or even a private person, but the transfer of possession must occur in the buyer's state of residence and be handled by an FFL.
                Last edited by Jim Macklin; 03-12-2010, 22:22.
                The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
                  I'm not James, but you are correct.
                  Originally posted by streakpi
                  Have you seen most of the people on this site? Asking them to do push-ups/sit ups is like asking Hitler to date a Nice Jewish girl!!!

Comment

Well, I learned something today! I just assumed I could sell or buy from a friend ftf even if they lived in missouri.

thanks for the info!
                    NRA Life Member

ATA, KTA Member

Comment

So if I understand correctly, if I want to sell a handgun to a person in missouri, can I hand carry the handgun to a missouri ffl and then make the deal through them?
                      NRA Life Member

ATA, KTA Member

Comment

Well, I learned something today! I just assumed I could sell or buy from a friend ftf even if they lived in Missouri.

thanks for the info!
                        It all goes back to the 1968 Gun Control Act, which restricted interstate sales. There have been some relaxation in the law over the past 40 years, but it still does nothing to hinder criminals and is an agravation to the hobest gun owner.

Comment

Of course, then there are the exceptions for Pre-1899 and Blackpowder, just to keep you real confused.
                          Just to put things in perspective, our Founding Fathers started a war because they didn't like the tax on their morning beverage. What would they think today?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoky View Post
                            Of course, then there are the exceptions for Pre-1899 and Blackpowder, just to keep you real confused.
                            Kansas State law does not exempt any firearm from state law. The Federal law does not restrict interstate sale or shipment of of antiques and non-cartridge arms. Muzzleloaders are "firearms" under federal law.

Comment

So if I understand correctly, if I want to sell a handgun to a person in missouri, can I hand carry the handgun to a missouri ffl and then make the deal through them?
                              Yes! That is correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X