Glock 31C

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock 31C

So I went out with a buddy today and the store we went to had a pretty decent deal on a Glock 31C. That's the full size compensated .357. Anyways, my question is mostly about the round itself. I'm aware that ballistically, it' kicks some ***. In your opinion, has it not yet caught on? I looked at Cabela's and even they only had a box or two of ammo, and gunbroker only had ONE of the 31C's for sale Would picking that up be a bad idea, in terms of ammo availability and overall practicality?
    Gun and Gear reviews at www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Originally Posted by Willfully Armed
    Of course, if you just hunted shirtless, no BG would test you...

Back during the "great ammo shortage", about the only rounds that I found for sale out in the wild were .357 SIG's... probably because so few people actually use it compared to the more "popular" calibers. There are a number of guns that can switch back and forth from .357 SIG to .40SW easily enough...

I wouldn't pass one up based on the thought that ammo might not be available, at least based on what I saw during the ammo shortage...
    "It doesn't have to make sense, it's just the law." - Kevin L. Jamison, Attorney at Law.

Comment

The .357 SIG, which Glock refuses to call it, was designed to try to replicate the great .357 magnum which still is the king of one shot stops. It is really a great cartridge as far as ballistics and with the bottle neck it supposedly feeds very well. I've only shot a few, never owned one mostly because it looked like a pain to reload and the 2 guns I shot were painful. It's not like a .45 acp that pushes, it kicks. Uses higher pressures than say the .45 acp. I've never shot a Glock in that caliber but with a comp it may not be too bad to shoot.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin

NRA LIfe member

Comment

Originally posted by Tzook View Post
        So I went out with a buddy today and the store we went to had a pretty decent deal on a Glock 31C. That's the full size compensated .357. Anyways, my question is mostly about the round itself. I'm aware that ballistically, it' kicks some ***. In your opinion, has it not yet caught on? I looked at Cabela's and even they only had a box or two of ammo, and gunbroker only had ONE of the 31C's for sale Would picking that up be a bad idea, in terms of ammo availability and overall practicality?
        I wouldn't buy it, but, that's me.

It'll suck for handloading, period.
        Since it's a bottleneck cartrige, it cannot be loaded using lubricant-free Carbide or Titanium ring dies, they are plain steel dies, and require cases to be lubed for sizing, PITA#1, then cleaned of course, PITA#2.
        In other words, you load it like rifle ammo, very small 9mm rifle ammo.

It's a small cartrige, and to get the balistics it does, it's a 40,000spi cartrige which means a lot of recoil and a lot of muzzle blast, well, at least the comp'll help with ONE of these......... and magnify the other LOL.

All this make it unatractive to handload, and the general lack of ammo availability (not nearly as bad as Glock's .45 G.A.P. wasted effort tho), and the fact that said factory ammo is only purchased for a premium price, hurts popularity again.

What is brass cost for this sucker? Pricey due to low production rates, which are due to low purchase rates.

According to my Speer manual, while people make brass out of 40-Smith cases, this makes a case that is 20-thou too short, and the case (surprise to me) does not headspace on the shoulder like rifle cases, but on the case mouth. .020" short can be problematic if the extractor hasn't got ahold of it, so it is not reccomended.
        My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
        MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

I have a 357 sig in a 229, it is the gun the girls I know like to shoot the most, it is really a sweet gun to shoot. I don't see how the glock could be much different.
          But I think it is worth getting the 40 barrel for it too. Just so you get a 2/4/1.
          I know I do not want to reload it ether.

Comment

My personal opinion is that it is going to go the way of the .45 GAP...
            Originally posted by Turbobuddha
            The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
            Originally posted by Over40andA40
            I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Comment

Well you could always buy the gun, then buy a .40 cal comp barrel from EFK or something.
              I mean, if it's a good deal and all.

I do think it has an advantage in that most major manufacturers have a version of a gun in 357SIG.
              GLOCK, Springfield, Smith Wesson and HK have continued to produce multiple guns in the chambering.

If the new production ammo weren't considerably more expensive in some places, I think it'd be a lot more attractive.
              Last edited by SweetSynaa; 07-17-2010, 08:31.

Comment

I carry a Glock G32C (compact version of G31C) every day and I really like it. Recoil is no problem and I haven't had any problems finding ammo for it although it can be a little pricey. So far the gun shows have had the best prices on the 357SIG ammo ranging from $18 to $24 for a box of 50 (FMJ's) which is cheaper than what I had been paying for .380 ammo =(
                If the G31C is a good deal, I don't think you will have any regrets buying it.
                Aaron -
                KD0QNE

Comment

Originally posted by SweetSynaa View Post
                  Well you could always buy the gun, then buy a .40 cal comp barrel from EFK or something.
                  I mean, if it's a good deal and all.

I do think it has an advantage in that most major manufacturers have a version of a gun in 357SIG.
                  GLOCK, Springfield, Smith Wesson and HK have continued to produce multiple guns in the chambering.

If the new production ammo weren't considerably more expensive in some places, I think it'd be a lot more attractive.
                  That's the one thing keeping it in better shape than the GAP cartrige, at least quite a few gunmakers are making guns chambered for it. The GAP maxed out at 2, and that was in the past..................

Neither cartrige are "flying" after take-off, SIG is managing to clear the trees tho, while GAP is dodging the trunks.

The fact that you can easilly put a 40 S&W barrel on it is some consolation to the gun, I don't use THAT cartrige either, nor want to, so, again, I wouldn't buy, but it's your call, not mine.
                  My standing offer for people's "old" MRE's, $1 each for dark brown bags. $12/case $2 each for the sand tan bags (newer). $24/case
                  MAYBE, if they are 2010 and newer, I give you $2.50 each....... generosity.50 cents each for loose heaters. Where's those highlight video links mjkeat???????

Comment

I have a 32 & my wife has a 31, no issues or problems from either, I reload for them as cheap as the 38's & 357 mag's. I am SW of Lawrence about 30 minutes.I have the LW barrel in both of them for the reloads. If you want to check them out let me know.
                    Last edited by Smoker; 07-17-2010, 12:14.
                    American by birth, biker by choice..

Comment

Originally posted by Smoker View Post
                      I have a 32 & my wife has a 31, no issues or problems from either, I reload for them as cheap as the 38's & 357 mag's. I am SW of Lawrence about 30 minutes.I have the LW barrel in both of them for the reloads. If you want to check them out let me know.
                      While component (powder, primer, bullets) cost is the same as any other .38/9mm calibre, the rest is a different story.

.357 SIG form Starline is $88 / 500.
                      .357 Mag. is $67.
                      .38 Special is $64.
                      .45 GAP brass is actually less expensive (but less available). $82/500

My favorite Hornady dies, SIG's are $90 a set.
                      .38/.357-Mag/Max are under $60. Can't tell if the SIG's are Hornady's Ti-Nitride or not. Nothing says, I don't trust the picture (probably generic), I doubt it.

Lees Carbide sets are all $40, and the set for SIG is only $35, but it's a specifically steel set only, not carbide, so lubing reguired.

Comment

.357 SIG is a cool round, but I'd probably skip it. It's not really doing anything that you can't do with much more common rounds

It's basically a .40 casing with a 9mm bullet stuffed in it, making it a zippy 9mm (which you could handload 9mm to match it) but with less rounds since it uses a bigger casing

Lots of bang, flash, kick...and with a comp, I hope you'd never have to do any night shooting, you're gonna have a hell of a time seeing anything with the extra flash

Comment

You can "handload to match it" with 9mmPara, only if you like wading into +P+ land............
                          40,000psi.

Comment

Working...
                          X