This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Affordable AR15 Thread...

I wanted to put together a thread that would specifically be about AFFORDABLE AR15 rifles and how to assemble/buy your own.

Where, when, why, how, whatever, etc.

There are a lot of members on here that have extensive knowledge of the AR platform that can chime in and tell us what to buy and why.

This isn't going to be about the BEST AR you can buy with an unlimited amount of money (Tzook), this is about the BEST AR you can buy while spending the least amount of money possible while getting all of the features that you NEED and some you WANT.

I'm going to start by making a simple list for a basic quality AR15 and let's just see where this takes us.
    Originally posted by Turbobuddha
    The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
    Originally posted by Over40andA40
    I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Lower Receiver

Lower receiver--Surplus Ammo and Arms (Aero Precision) $80
    Lower Parts Kit--DPMS LPK $50
    Buffer Tube Kit and Buttstock--DSA Milspec tube kit and stock $50

Total: $180 +shipping

Upper Receiver

Barreled Upper Receiver Assembly--Palmetto State Armory, your choice, $319+
    Bolt Carrier Group--Bravo Company USA $159
    Charging Handle--Any brand will do but lets go with one from Surplus Ammo $15
    Rear Sight--Daniel Defense fixed rear sight OR Magpul flip up $55

Total: $548

Grand Total: $728

Some other options would be a S&W M&P Sport at around $640 or a Palmetto State Armory m4 carbine for $700
    Last edited by norinco982lover; 10-10-2012, 03:38.
    The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
    I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Comment

ar 15

Ill start, I put together a list of parts for an ar-15 that would be reasonably affordable while at the same time delivering a high level of shoot ability and solid components that will be a rifle worth keeping. While New ars can be had for price points from 600-?????, I believe as far as buying "NEW" parts this is a list of what I think you need, these are new prices i got off internet, If you take your time and buy some of these parts used, you stand to save considerable amounts of money. Especially how many people often replace LNIB parts on what ever ar-15 they get, whether it be stocks or handgaurds,
      Generic ar lower, any brand $80
      Geissle trigger super semi auto trigger: $180
      Hogue or ergo grip: $20
      Enidine hydraulic buffer: $90
      or
      Generic Buffer:$60
      Ace skelton stock: $65
      Cmmg Complete upper: $520 (http://www.elitetacticalcomponents.c...b-16-bird-cage)
      BONUS: JP compensator (not bennie coolie, big one): $100

=$955 or $925 depending on buffer or with bonus jp comp 1,055 or 1025
      The $1055 or so is the price of new 6920s at walmart.

I know this isn't as cheap as the new dpms ars, the other random brand that has specials for the run of the mill $600 new ar-15, but in my experience you don't want to skimp on things like anti walk pins, because I've lost some before, or skimp on forward assists, as my sportical ar 15 lacked both of these.

the only thing a Frankenstien AR would concern me with is the way the trigger actually hits the firing pin, if just pulling random parts off this wish list, putting them together and having them fire without going to a gunsmith and hand fitting parts like on a high end 1911 or such.

I have only had a dpms sportical ar-15, Im not really an expert on ARs but I am curious about putting together a pretty solid rifle to last a while.
      Last edited by deerhunter; 10-10-2012, 03:43.
      PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

You might also decide to wait till PSA does a sale on their premium lower build kits; I got the premium kit with the LPK and buffer tube/stock body thingie for $80.

They're not always on sale but they do come up that way pretty regularly, it seems.

Just be prepared for the wait time. I ordered mine on the 28th of Sept. and it won't be here till Thursday. So about two weeks.
        There is no "One True Way" of the gun.

Comment

PSA just had a sale on a 16" upper with chrome lined FN barrel, missing BCG and charging handle for $279. They have great sales.
          I sold all my firearms because the media said they were "EVIL"
          S&W M&P Rifle and Pistol Armorer Certified

Comment

Surplus ammo and arms complete lower with A2 stock $204.99, from surplus ammo and arms.

CMMG complete upper 14.5 mid or 16 carbine $475.00, from Cavalry manufacturing.

A little shipping and there you go, under $700.00.

Comment

Keep an eye on Palmetto state Armory, I picked up a couple LPK's there over Labor Day for $39.95/ea.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/
              Je Suis Charles Martel...

Comment

Great thread - subscribing! Still workin on my AR build started in 1995. Sigh. I'm lazy.

Comment

You can get an entire DS Arms "ZM4" for about $600.

Complete lower -$200
                  Complete upper -$260
                  BCG -$120
                  Charging Handle -$14

Zach
                  Originally posted by Dirk
                  The good news for me is that I won't have to see YOU there...
                  Originally posted by Willfully Armed
                  I do fancy these meaningful talks we tend to have sometimes.

Comment

I did a PSA/JSE m4 build this spring for $485
                    01/06 FFL $15 transfers and guns near wholesale

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. And not to Democrats alone do I make this appeal, but to all who love these great and true principles~ Abe Lincoln

Comment

If you are not in a hurry, i always watch the WTS sections on forums for lightly used parts at good prices. Most of the time the factory take off parts can be grabbed for very low prices.

These are the parts you see the most for the best prices, as most guys replace these after getting a basic AR15

Standard Handguards
                      Commercial Buffer tubes
                      M4 Carbine stocks
                      A2 flashhiders

Then watch the sales for these items
                      Lowers
                      LPK's
                      BCG
                      Barrels

I throw these parts in a plasitic bin that i got at walmart with a list taped to the top. I check off the parts when i get them and put them in the box. Ive put complete lowers together for under 200.00 and complete uppers for 225-250 before. I dont think ive ever gotten under the 400 mark unless i ran into some parts that were grossly underpriced.
                      Headhunter Tactial Gear
                      -Custom Nylon-

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...-a546-ccde.jpg

Comment

There are a lot of helpful posts here. We might want to factor a few mags in the price as well. It's an easy item to not think of right off the bat. Recently a friend showed me his build list for his first AR. I asked him if he already had mags and he hadn't even thought of them. It's an easy oversight when you are used to having one or two come with your gun purchase.
                        Originally posted by streakpi
                        Have you seen most of the people on this site? Asking them to do push-ups/sit ups is like asking Hitler to date a Nice Jewish girl!!!

Comment

Kari's Guns sells Surplus Ammo and Arms stripped lowers for $60, and CMMG LPK's for $60. You can also buy a lower with the LPK installed for $120. Get to the gunshows early on Saturdays.

Comment

buyers club?

Putting an AR together requires minimal mechanical skills but some tools are either essential or a great help. Buying these tools to build one gun is going to make that ONE gun expensive, when you add the costof the tools needed.

I don't know if a FFL would want to purchase the AR Armorers' kit and make it available for use, much like auto-parts stores have free tools for loan to pull steering wheels, or clutch plate pilot arbors, maybe just a deposit until you return the tools.

If a buyer's club owned the tools and held an FFL, there could be discounts for members because parts could be ordered in some quantity. The distributors, such as Brownell's or MidwayUSA or even the manufacturers sell to "dealers" at a discount.

Years ago, getting an FFL was cheap and easy, the first FFL I got, back in 1964 cost $1.00 if I remember correctly. Back in 1964, the rules were much easier. ATF did not check with sales taxes or zoning laws, you could do as much or as little as you did part-tme. Wish it was that easy today.
                            The people think the Constitution protects their rights; But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
                            If your religion says suicide and murder are wrong; Aren't you doing both if you are not prepared to defend your life and the lives of others?
                            I am not a lawyer, but I have personal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by MudFlap View Post
                              Kari's Guns sells Surplus Ammo and Arms stripped lowers for $60, and CMMG LPK's for $60. You can also buy a lower with the LPK installed for $120. Get to the gunshows early on Saturdays.
                              I think I bought my last 2 lowers from them on sale at like $110 shipped for both. Very affordable.

Comment

Working...
                              X