X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patricia Stoneking
    started a topic Recertification Suggestions

Recertification Suggestions

Mods, can we make this thread a sticky? Everyone make their suggestions about Re-certification requirements only. I'll use it for info during the process. Please, please, please, don't muddy this up or I won't have time to sort through it. Strictly, to the point, re-certification requirement suggestions only.

• Jim Macklin
    replied
    Originally posted by tkarter View Post
    That is really good advice Jim. I doubt they thought about that enough to detail it out any way.

tk
    I think that is very nice of you to say so. Thanks.

All laws seem to be written as though they are all isolated and A doesn't change if B is amended.

It is possible that te AG could write a policy in the office that covered such TDY incidents.

Leave a comment:

• tkarter
    replied
    That is really good advice Jim. I doubt they thought about that enough to detail it out any way.

tk

Leave a comment:

• Jim Macklin
    replied
    Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    Hmm, since I'm on active duty in South Carolina, with no idea of when I will get back to Kansas, this is a BIG interest to me. I use my KS carry license here, as SC recognizes KS licenses.

I can do the affidavit/renewal/even the notary part here. My wife will mail me the form(s) from Kansas. But after that, when I get the "permission slip" from the AG, then I have a problem getting to the DOV station for a new permit. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll keep the "permission slip" showing that I have renewed, and will get a new CCW ID when I return to Kansas. Anyone else got a better idea?
    Maybe an email or phone call to inquire about the Kansas resident in the military assigned out of state. It is one of those, "we never thought of that" glitches.

License Renewal Information – (Posted 7/6/2010)
    Last edited by Jim Macklin; 09-07-2010, 02:49.

Leave a comment:

• MartyG
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Renewal is all done by mail, no recurrent training required.No visit to a sheriff, no new fingerpring card required.
    SB 306 changes it all.
    The following link will take you to the enrolled bill signed by Governor Parkinson-SB 306 {this may not copy and paste showing strike throughs, if you have trouble reading the section 8, use the link to get the PDF file. Very son, the actual printed [on-line] without extraneous marks will be available on/after July 1, 2010.

Sec. 8. K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c08 is hereby amended to read as
    follows: 75-7c08. (a) Not less than 90 days prior to the expiration date of
    the license, the attorney general shall mail to the licensee a written notice
    of the expiration and a renewal form prescribed by the attorney general.
    The licensee shall renew the license on or before the expiration date by
    filing attorney gen-
    eral the renewal form, a notarized affidavit, either in person or by certified
    mail, stating that the licensee remains qualified pursuant to the criteria
    specified in K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c04, and amendments thereto, a full
    frontal view photograph of the applicant taken within the preceding 30
    days and a nonrefundable license renewal fee of $25
    fees attorney general shall complete a name-based background check, in-
    cluding a search of the national instant criminal background check system
    database. A licensee who fails to file a renewal application on or before
    the expiration date of the license must pay an additional late fee of $15.
    A renewal application is considered filed on the date the renewal form,
    affidavit, and required fees are delivered in person to the attorney gen-
    eralís office or on the date a certified mailing to the attorney generalís
    office containing these items is postmarked.
    (b) Upon receipt of a renewal application as specified in subsection
    (a), a background check in accordance with subsection (d) of K.S.A. 2009
    Supp. 75-7c05, and amendments thereto, shall be completed. Fingerprints
    shall not be required for renewal applications. If the licensee is qualified
    not disqualified as provided by this act, the license shall be renewed upon
    receipt by the attorney general of the items listed in subsection (a) and
    the completion of the background check.
    (c) No license shall be renewed if the renewal application is filed six
    months or more after the expiration date of the license, and such license
    HOUSE Substitute for SENATE BILL No. 306ópage 8
    shall be deemed to be permanently expired. A person whose license has
    been permanently expired may reapply for licensure but an application
    for licensure and fees pursuant to K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c05, and amend-
    ments thereto, shall be submitted, and a background investigation in-
    cluding the submission of fingerprints, shall be conducted pursuant to the
    provisions of that section.
    I deleted the stiken language and may not have done it perfectly, read the PDF or wait for the AG to link to the new 75-7c in a few weeks.
    Hmm, since I'm on active duty in South Carolina, with no idea of when I will get back to Kansas, this is a BIG interest to me. I use my KS carry license here, as SC recognizes KS licenses.

I can do the affidavit/renewal/even the notary part here. My wife will mail me the form(s) from Kansas. But after that, when I get the "permission slip" from the AG, then I have a problem getting to the DOV station for a new permit. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll keep the "permission slip" showing that I have renewed, and will get a new CCW ID when I return to Kansas. Anyone else got a better idea?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Macklin
    replied
    Originally posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    150.50!!!!

Jesus, they might as well require the full 8 hour class and a reshoot.
    All changed, fees much reduced, procedure is all by mail to the AG

Leave a comment:

• Jim Macklin
    replied
    Originally posted by EODDoogie View Post
    Where does this leave our Active, Guard and Reserve folks who may be deployed long before and long after the renewal period? Is there a grace period upon return CONUS or are we just screwed blued and tattoed, so sorry GI re-attend the 8 hour course? I recognize we are but a small part of the CCW population but it would still be nice to have some consideration.
    Renewal is all done by mail, no recurrent training required.No visit to a sheriff, no new fingerpring card required.
    SB 306 changes it all.
    The following link will take you to the enrolled bill signed by Governor Parkinson-SB 306 {this may not copy and paste showing strike throughs, if you have trouble reading the section 8, use the link to get the PDF file. Very son, the actual printed [on-line] without extraneous marks will be available on/after July 1, 2010.

Sec. 8. K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c08 is hereby amended to read as
    follows: 75-7c08. (a) Not less than 90 days prior to the expiration date of
    the license, the attorney general shall mail to the licensee a written notice
    of the expiration and a renewal form prescribed by the attorney general.
    The licensee shall renew the license on or before the expiration date by
    filing attorney gen-
    eral the renewal form, a notarized affidavit, either in person or by certified
    mail, stating that the licensee remains qualified pursuant to the criteria
    specified in K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c04, and amendments thereto, a full
    frontal view photograph of the applicant taken within the preceding 30
    days and a nonrefundable license renewal fee of $25
    fees attorney general shall complete a name-based background check, in-
    cluding a search of the national instant criminal background check system
    database. A licensee who fails to file a renewal application on or before
    A renewal application is considered filed on the date the renewal form,
    affidavit, and required fees are delivered in person to the attorney gen-
    eral’s office or on the date a certified mailing to the attorney general’s
    office containing these items is postmarked.
    (b) Upon receipt of a renewal application as specified in subsection
    (a), a background check in accordance with subsection (d) of K.S.A. 2009
    Supp. 75-7c05, and amendments thereto, shall be completed. Fingerprints
    shall not be required for renewal applications. If the licensee is qualified
    not disqualified as provided by this act, the license shall be renewed upon
    receipt by the attorney general of the items listed in subsection (a) and
    the completion of the background check.
    (c) No license shall be renewed if the renewal application is filed six
    months or more after the expiration date of the license, and such license
    HOUSE Substitute for SENATE BILL No. 306—page 8
    shall be deemed to be permanently expired. A person whose license has
    been permanently expired may reapply for licensure but an application
    for licensure and fees pursuant to K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c05, and amend-
    ments thereto, shall be submitted, and a background investigation in-
    cluding the submission of fingerprints, shall be conducted pursuant to the
    provisions of that section.
    I deleted the stiken language and may not have done it perfectly, read the PDF or wait for the AG to link to the new 75-7c in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Jim Macklin; 06-20-2010, 23:54.

Leave a comment:

• EODDoogie
    replied
    Where does this leave our Active, Guard and Reserve folks who may be deployed long before and long after the renewal period? Is there a grace period upon return CONUS or are we just screwed blued and tattoed, so sorry GI re-attend the 8 hour course? I recognize we are but a small part of the CCW population but it would still be nice to have some consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Macklin
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodtime Charlie View Post
    So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but, if I understand this correctly, we will have to pay $50 to the Sheriff, $50 to the AG, who knows how much to the trainer, and a card fee to the drivers license office.

$50+$50+$?+$?=$100+
    Yep, $50 +50 and the CCH fee for the card $12 [my DL is expiring at same time, what's that now? CM class 6 years is $41.50.

It will be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Goodtime Charlie
    replied
    So, correct me if I'm mistaken, but, if I understand this correctly, we will have to pay $50 to the Sheriff, $50 to the AG, who knows how much to the trainer, and a card fee to the drivers license office.

$50+$50+$?+$?=$100+

Leave a comment:

• Jim Macklin
    replied
    Originally posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    150.50!!!!

$100 total, $50 to AG and $50 to the sheriff.

75-7c08. Same; renewal; fees; permanent expiration, when. (a) Not less than 90 days prior to the
    expiration date of the license, the attorney general shall mail to the licensee a written notice of the expiration
    and a renewal form prescribed by the attorney general. The licensee shall renew the license on or before the
    expiration date by filing with the sheriff of the applicant's county of residence the renewal form, a notarized
    affidavit stating that the licensee remains qualified pursuant to the criteria specified in K.S.A. 2006 Supp. 75-
    7c04, and amendments thereto, a full frontal view photograph of the applicant taken within the preceding 30
    days and a nonrefundable license renewal fee of $100 which fee shall be in the form of two cashier checks
    or money orders, one of $50 payable to the sheriff of the county where the applicant resides and one of $50
    payable to the attorney general
    . The license shall be renewed upon receipt of the completed renewal
    application and appropriate payment of fees. A licensee who fails to file a renewal application on or before

This would have to be changed by the legislature since it the way the law is written.

BTW, when you get the renewal 90 days before your CCH expires I would get it right back ASAP, since you don't want it to expire and have to wait for the new one to arrive while your gun stay home.
    Last edited by Jim Macklin; 10-02-2009, 04:05.

Leave a comment:

• Willfully Armed
    replied
    150.50!!!!

Leave a comment:

• weyes1
    replied
    I actually took the time to email the AG about recertification/renewals and this is the reply I got from their office.
    Mr. Clark

There is a renewal course and, as per regulation K.A.R. 16-11-6(b), the course is, as of now, to be a minimum of 2 hours and review the legal issues. This will probably be changed slightly to include a review of safety issues. A live-fire requalification is still up in the air. But the length of the course should be about 2-4 hrs max.

The fees for a renewal are set by statute, K.S.A. 75-7c08(a), and are currently set at a total of $100?50 to sheriff and 50 to the Attorney General.

We haven?t put anything on the FAQ because not much is set in stone?but that should be changing soon.

Thank you for the inquiry.

Charles W. Klebe
    Assistant Attorney General
    Concealed Carry Unit

Leave a comment:

• BearTaylor
    replied
    I don't think we need to shoot more than 25 rounds to recertify. I think most of us do get practice time in. Why make recertification more complicated than the original course?

Leave a comment:

• tkarter
    replied
    Patricia thank you very much for all you do.

Why oh why can't Kansas look at Missouri and understand it works the same way in both States?

Some things just don't make good sense to me.

tk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X