Advantage to G17 or G34 over 25 yards vs G19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage to G17 or G34 over 25 yards vs G19

For those who shoot them I am looking for some input.

I went and watched the Mill Creek Practical Shooting yesterday. It was a fun time and made me think I need to sign up. Currently for carry I do have a Glock 19. I know that I could use it in the Production class, and probably limited. I like and want to stick with Glock and the 9mm. I am wondering, however, if it might be good to step up a little.

For awhile I have been thinking about getting a G17 Gen 4, not for this, but to use as a dedicated HD gun, with a light and so on, then also having the G19 for CCW. I also like the idea of a gun that runs the 17 round mag natively, which the 17 and 34 would both do.

So at the match yesterday one of the courses shoot steal at 40 or so yards and I heard sometimes longer. Although my 19 can shoot at those distances would I gain a little advantage at the longer ranges with the 17 and then more so with the 34? At what distance does the 17 start to gain advantage over the 19? Then at what range would the 34 start to gain over the 17? I am asking as I believe the site radius really probably shows it's advantage as the distance to target increases. Within 25 yards or so it is probably a wash.

I have heard that a lot of people use the longer Glocks, 34/35. I guess my only real concern with the 34 would be it seems really big compared to the Glock 19, and the trigger is set lighter. Also, on the 34 how would it do as an HD gun (not a caliber debate)? My concern with the G17 is that you really wouldn't gain all the much over the G19. However, of the two (17 and 34) the 17 is the most like the G19.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I think you are over thinking it. The g17 is barely going to be different than the g19 so you might as well get the g34 if anything.

My buddy has been debating this same question but his glock is a g26 so it will be a much more drastic change.
    Originally posted by Turbobuddha
    The eyes can lie. I've seen it. There are some truly sick people out there and if you look in their eyes, you'll see loving kindness, while their hands are making animal balloons with your intestine.
    Originally posted by Over40andA40
    I believe you need to revaluate your existence within our community here and perhaps disconnect yourself from those of us still living in the REAL world.

Comment

I have both the 17 and the 34 and like both but the truth is that the 17 will shoot rings around my 34. You gain a little length on the 34 over the 17 but not enough to make a difference, IMHO. I've got the 34 set up for competition and the 17 is set up for carry but there is no reason that you couldn't use the same one for competition. I've used the 19 for IDPA but if you start "gaming it" then the longer the sight radius the more accurate you can shoot the long shots. On Glocks you will find that some are tack drivers and some are so so for accuracy. My 17 will shoot anything good but the 34 is finicky and I have to be careful what loads I shoot if I want it to be accurate.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin

NRA LIfe member

Comment

Hickock45 hits his long range gong with every gun he shoots. I think it more a matter of shooting what you have and learning it.

tk

Comment

I started shooting USPSA with a G19 and moved to a 34 fairly quickly. However, the 17 is also a fine choice. Get the one that feels the best in your hand. If they both feel similiar, go with the 34. Whatever you get, swap out the sights immediately (Dawson's or Warren/Sevigny) and start shooting.
          My YouTube Channel

Comment

I shoot a Glock 35 and LOVE it. I started out with a Kimber Eclipse 1911, but wanted something with a higher mag capacity and a bit cheaper. I replaced the lower frame with a CCF stainless steel race frame, installed Dawson FO adjustable Sights with a super thin front sight, and a Vanek Trigger.

I originally had a glock 23 and it took me a good while to get very good with it. Going to the 35 was a pretty smooth transition, but the sight radius does seem to help for whatever reason. The 35 does seem long, but you'll get used to it. I keep the 35 around for home defense as well.

Comment

I was responsible for the 40 yard steel stage along with the 32 round stage next to it. I set up the long range steel because we don't shoot much long range stuff in most USPSA matches (and I needed practice...)

Back to the original question... By going to a G17 or G34, you get advantage of a full sized grip. As already stated by others, what ever gun you choose, put better sights on it. The stock Glock sights are chunky and not particularly conducive for accuracy.

BTW the next match is Feb 11. Come out early (8:30 ish) to have time for safety briefing if you have not shot a match like this before.

Comment

The big difference between the Glock 19 and the 17/34 is the configuration of the grip. If the 19 fits your hand better, frankly I'd stay with it. If you have bigger hands, the longer grip of the 17/34 would probably suit you better.
                Jhawk412

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of Arms." Thomas Jefferson
                Wichita, CCH instructor, Member NRA, KSRA

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. And yes I am probably over thinking it, but that is what I do, don't know how to stop over thinking things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat-herder View Post
                    I was responsible for the 40 yard steel stage along with the 32 round stage next to it.
                    My very first match at Mill Creek, Cat-herder set up a 25yd Texas Star you shot prone under a barricade! He can be evil!
                    My YouTube Channel

Comment

Bring out your G19 "as is" and shoot a few matches with it. That will give you a baseline for comparison. You will have the opportunity to look and ask what tweaks were done on better shooters' guns to help you decide what will work for you.

If your next gun purchase is going to be a dual purpose HD and game/range gun, I suspect that you will not want the ultra light triggers but focus more on the sight selection.

If you are in KC area, there is also a group in Kearney, MO and another at Pioneer that shoots on Tuesday nights plus Friday nights at the Bullethole.

Comment

So do you just show up at the Bullethole on Friday, or contact someone first? Also, are they shooting this Friday, or having a meeting?

For those who suggest I shoot what I have my wife thinks highly of you, I one the other hand am still up in the air about the suggestion

Comment

It she's like my wife, I certainly have enough guns. More than I need.

I've always been a proponent of shoot what you carry. It may not be the gun you could score the absolute highest with, but it well certainly engender confidence and ability with the tool you carry to defend your life. Unless you really want to win, then get a game gun.
                          Jhawk412

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of Arms." Thomas Jefferson
                          Wichita, CCH instructor, Member NRA, KSRA

Comment

Originally posted by Lounger View Post
                            So do you just show up at the Bullethole on Friday, or contact someone first? Also, are they shooting this Friday, or having a meeting?

For those who suggest I shoot what I have my wife thinks highly of you, I one the other hand am still up in the air about the suggestion
                            It's club election night. If it is like past years, you sign in, get a ballot, cast your votes and then shoot. They will probably finish early to announce the new board and have a short general meeting. May not be the best night. Any other night, get there by 6:30 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lounger View Post

I'll be shooting at the BH on Friday night. You are welcome to fondle/shoot my G34 if you'd like.

Bruce
                              My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X