No announcement yet.

Long Range Match in Mo, March 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully theyll give tips on what positions to use, how to get into them quickly, how to navigate the stages and how to "game" some of them if possible.

Have fun, Im hoping for Good weather for you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyN View Post
      Hopefully theyll give tips on what positions to use, how to get into them quickly, how to navigate the stages and how to "game" some of them if possible.

Have fun, Im hoping for Good weather for you guys.
      This ΔΔΔ

I bet you and Dalton will actually learn more than we did. Good luck and don't be nervous. I was, and after it started, everyone was just as nice as any other gun event you'd go to.

There will be a guy about my build (but shorter) from Arkansas who might look you up when you get there. I'm horrible with names so I don't remember his. His first LD shoot too. Super nice guy. Builds rigs with his dad. He hung around with me and Jeremy a lot. The friend he was there with got 5th. Pretty sure he was shooting a rig built by the guy I'm talking about.
      "Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

He'll be a guy shooting .223 If i remember correctly.

Comment

He'll be a guy shooting .223 If i remember correctly.
          That's correct. With a left side charging handle and a specially designed bolt lock/release. (no, not a bad lever..something he's designed)
          Last edited by jagdawg; 03-14-2013, 21:42.
          "Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

One more idea. If you guys want YOUR brass back, mark it uniquely.

Purple stripe in extractor groove or around case or on head stamp would be a slam dunk.

Red, blue, black and green are more common, but if the mark is unique, youll get most of yours back.

Comment

One more idea. If you guys want YOUR brass back, mark it uniquely.

Purple stripe in extractor groove or around case or on head stamp would be a slam dunk.

Red, blue, black and green are more common, but if the mark is unique, youll get most of yours back.
              Thanks, we'll do that. Hate to leave much brass around if we can get it back.
              We probably don't need mats or spotting scopes do we?

We'll keep a watch out for the guy from Arkansas. We'll tell him hello for you.
              www.spearpointranch.com

Comment

Yep, take a mat, there will be 2-3 chances to use it.

Scope? I only looked through Bills once. He only set it up once, if I needed a looksee, I used one that the RO was using. So, your call, but you probably wont be desperate for one if you dont have it.

Comment

Originally posted by jagdawg View Post
                  This ^^^ (edited for effect)

Hitting 9"x16" or larger targets at LD is tough enough...but 3" and 6" circles and diamonds at 350 plus yds bring the game to a whole different level.

You have to control and know all the things that you can control and know.

Wind, weather, different positions, and time against you are enough added stressors, that you'd better be sure about your gun, glass, loads, dope talent, breathing, trigger control. You get any of these off (dope for instance...yes, even by a 1/10th mil) and add in anything else you don't have control of and it's probably a miss at 350 to 600 yds at that small of a target.

After taking my rifle out last night to reconfirm zero at 100 and 300, I learned I probably was okay at 100, but was probably throwing high by 1/10th at 300. Then again, that could have been temp, baro pressure, whatever. I still obviously need to true the ballistic software up against actual results.

Chronographs lie. Now I'm not so sure that ballistics programs don't fib a bit too.

You just gotta keep trying to find out what load works best in your rig for any given condition in order to get a consistant sub moa shooter.
                  With the proper ballistic program you can "true" what the chrono reads, and you can always test it to see if its accurate.
                  -Nick
                  كافر
                  The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ares View Post
                    With the proper ballistic program you can "true" what the chrono reads, and you can always test it to see if its accurate.
                    Yep. Yoda and I traveled up to SP and tried to do this the Thursday before I left.

No problem hitting 300, 500, & 700 9X16" steel. Just didn't have it all trued to dead center bits at theses distances to account for 4" to 6" steel. I assumed the targets at the match would be comparable in size. Wrong!

So my point was, (in saying ballistics programs can fib) you can true the program for dead center hits at 500 and 700, but maybe still be off a 1/10th or 2/10th at 300. Or maybe you're dead on at 300 & 500, but not 700. Or maybe I just didn't get it done 100% right.

Also, might have just been all me..still don't know. Still working with it all and still learning.

Comment

Silly Kids??

Comment

That's Yoda's way of saying it was all me...
                        And you know what they say about Yoda...

Hey Steve and Dalton! Have fun today! Give a report when you're done and rested up a bit...
                        Last edited by jagdawg; 03-16-2013, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by jagdawg View Post
                          That's Yoda's way of saying it was all me...
                          And you know what they say about Yoda...

Hey Steve and Dalton! Have fun today! Give a report when you're done and rested up a bit...
                          Hey, made it back. Not rested up though. I know I'm out of shape and kind of fat but I'm sore. I didn't think we ran or did that much physically but I guess we did.
                          It was a great match. I picked up a few things to work on. Probably trigger control being the most important at the moment. Also need to work on building a solid rest quickly. Plus something to put on the end of the barrel.
                          We shot 10 stages, all the ones you all shot plus the two that were rained out. Had 21 shooters, started about 7:30 am and left around 7:00 pm. We finished around the middle of the pack with Dalton edging me out by a couple of places.
                          We received some great training from the RO's and the match director.
                          We really had a good time. If they have this "intermediate" match again next year I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to get into precision rifle competitions.
                          Now for a few changes to our matches.........
                          www.spearpointranch.com

Comment

Originally posted by SPR45 View Post
                            We shot 10 stages, all the ones you all shot plus the two that were rained out. :........
                            Now for a few changes to our matches.........
                            How were the other 2 stages?

What kind of changes are you thinking of?

Comment

How were the other 2 stages?

What kind of changes are you thinking of?
                              The last two stages were petty fun. One of them was 3 shots prone from the mineral feeder along the road at a target 385 yds, then you shot through the tube that goes under the road at the same target then crawled through the tube (about 48" diameter), crossed the creek, then 3 standing shots supported by a tree then 3 more prone shots, all around 3 minutes.
                              The other was the zip line. You ride a platform on a zip line shooting 3 targets with pistol, then transition to a stairway with angled slots in it and engage 10 targets with the rifle all at different angles. Range about 330 yds if I remember right. 4 minute par.
                              No major changes. I had already started some changes at the match that was snowed out. We won't be shooting as much prone as we were. 2 to 3 stages will be prone, the rest will be positional rests. We shoot more of what I would call a "field tactical" type match. The majority of the guys that come out to shoot here at these monthly matches are going to be doing more field type shooting as opposed to PRS shooting, so we will try to reflect that in our stage design. That's not saying we won't have some stages similar to what we saw in Missouri though.
                              I want to try to keep these matches at the point that a new shooter can come out and get some hits and have some success and learn what they need too, but also hard enough that a seasoned shooter has to work at it a little also. Hopefully, that scenario is a possibility.
                              www.spearpointranch.com

Comment

Sounds fun, to bad we didnt get to shoot them. I dont think I wanted to shoot them in pouring rain anyway.

Yeah, theres a big difference in demographic at your matches compared to PRS, dont want to run off too many of the shooters with crazy stuff.

Hope to make the April match, but my list of house work is piling up. And we dont even own it for another 2 weeks. Plus my rifle may still be getting the brake installed.
                                Last edited by JeremyN; 03-18-2013, 14:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X