X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words and Stuff

More good info from Chris @mdts_training
    ・・・
    Resistance: refusal to accept or comply with something; the attempt to prevent something by action or argument. Predatory mammals like lions, tigers and bears aren't born dangerous. Like human babies they are vulnerable and reliant upon a parent for protection. But, as they grow they "play fight", bite, claw and roll. They don't fight to the death. Over time they become dangerous and develop fighting ability in the context of their environment. For us, once base mechanics are learned there needs to be resistance from an opponent(s). It could be isolated working a specific technique or a combination of multiple skills. It doesn't have to be 100% or full contact sparring. It could be two partners working at 20-50% like @plibic94 and @martialart_miller here on their vertical grappling/clinch with strikes thrown in. They are play fighting with no true intent to harm each other. But, they are resisting one another. Neither is giving the other anything. They work the designated skills in their own way with their own timing and movement. Is this kind of training comfortable? No. Does training like this, with resistance, build confidence and make you feel great every day about your skills? No. But it's honest. It's an honest assessment of your current skill level against varied,moving, resisting opponent(s). Practice this kind of discomfort, get used to it. That's the only way to be comfortable when it's real. Why doesn't every martial arts school train like this? Two reasons: 1) ego- of the instructor and sometimes the student. The instructor has invested a lot of time and $$ to get where they are. It's difficult to admit something you've spent a lifetime doing may not work. A long time student may feel the same. 2) fear- fear of getting hurt, fear of looking bad, fear of the unknown. Why not train in a way that inoculates you to these fears? Rarely are the things we think we are afraid of worth being afraid of. If you are training and practicing just for fun, cool. But if you have any illusion of protecting yourself or someone else it needs to include moving, thinking, resistant opponent(s).

Failure is an opportunity to learn.

In my early days I remember hearing people say they sparred at 100% every week, sometimes multiple times a week, I was still a pup so I accepted it as truth even though I secretly wondered. I had been hit for real and it took awhile to heal, these guys doing the talking never looked marked up, but anyway.........

As I grew I realized that far more can be accomplished by light contact training than can ever be gained by a preponderance of hard contact training. When we are trying to learn something new there is the likelyhood that at first it will be unsuccessful, if we have to pay too heavy a price for failure we might not be as willing to try new things and our training will suffer

In our personal training, if we train so hard that we are constantly injured or put into a weakened state we will be at less than full strength should our skills ever be called on and all our training will be for naught

Of course this is not to say that heavy contact should never be done, knowing where we are in our development is necessary

I was going to start a thread on this but this thread seems to be a good place

What we see here are 3 phases of training, Airsoft, Live Fire, FOF

First the drill is done with airsoft on a heavy bag, then live fire on paper and then FOF using another person

What stands out to me the most is how clean the airsoft and live fire are and how jumbled up the FOF is, when we have an inanimate training partner such as paper or a heavy bag we can look very good, when training with an uncooperative partner that often times isn't true

An aside, should you want to try airsoft as shown in the video USE EYE PROTECTION

https://youtu.be/q8w5kxXht9A
    Last edited by ricco; 09-06-2017, 23:18.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
    X