Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why No Groin Strikes"

First up is the Facebook post from Dave Spaulding

(I'm having trouble with the link, you can go to Spauldings facebook page and read it for yourself or just take my word for it)

"I teach the groin strike in my Critical Space Combative Pistol course as away to gain time to disengage and draw" ~ Dave Spaulding

Spaulding also says that he agree's that a groin strike doesn't work everytime

Next up is the video that Spaulding is referencing

The instructor in this video is Cecil Burch

"My biggest reason not to teach that stuff is it's not consistant in it's results" ~ Cecil Burch

https://youtu.be/VlzRkBPkr_E

Okay, my take

Both Dave Spaulding and Cecil Burch are highly respected and skilled instructors and neither are wrong but on the whole I'll have to side with Spauding

I have no doubt that every man reading this forum has been hit in the balls, some of us multiple times

If you have played sports, boxed or done martial arts it happens a lot

Chances are you didn't drop to the ground screaming in pain

But did it throw you off your game for just a moment, did it make you flinch, chances are it did

You probably powered through but for just a moment your focus wasn't quite what it was

That is what Spaulding want's, that half a second flinch

The BG's focus shifts from what he is doing to you to what is happening to him

If you have trained and practiced a half second might make the difference

As for "it's not consistant in it's results", we have to ask, what is

Watch a boxing match, the punch that lands with most consistency is the jab, it works about half the time

Watch an MMA fight, we see escapes from locks and chokes

Watch very many Live Leak videos of gunfights and we see bullets fail to stop people with alarming regularity

Same for knives

Same for clubs

Same for pepper spray

Same for Tasers

Same for etc.......etc.............................

Everything works sometimes but nothing works everytime

Last edited by ricco; 10-09-2017, 16:37.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown
Working...
X