AAR: Trauma Management and Injured Pistol/Carbine with Rob Schoening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR: Trauma Management and Injured Pistol/Carbine with Rob Schoening

Had the opportunity to attend an 8hr Trauma management and injured shooter course yesterday down in Coffeeville, KS. Taught by Rob Shoening of LHGK.US up in Iowa:

LHGK.US - LHGK

Not your standard gunfighting class by any means and this was the 1st class Iíve taken solely dedicated to one handed weapon draws and manipulations. Iíve done it before in classes, but not to this extent. Fundamentals of shooting, marksmanship, grip etc. were not covered, as were basic remedial action drills. Students were to arrive about to shoot and run their guns. Class make-up was LEOs and us 4 token Army guys. Basically 4 hrs. of medical class room instruction demos and hands on, followed by 4 hrs. of range work, all of which was either strong hand only or weak hand only pistol and carbine. Weapon manipulations included, loading/unloading, remedial actions and shooting.

The medical portion covered trauma management filling the gap between the incident occurrence and the arrival of higher level care. This was actually a blend of 3 different classes, crammed into an 8hr. block (Rob is not a huge fan of breaks and we got our 8+ hrs worth). Rob is a very, very knowledgeable guy, in both the medical portions (heís a SWAT paramedic by trade) and the injured shooter material. He demonstrated everything multiple times. Has a great crawl-walk-run methodology with building speed, especially the weak-hand draw/presentations. Everything he presented (even the med stuff) was done in a manor that could easily be comprehended.

Lessons learned:
    1. Wear old pants or something indestructible, slide manipulations on your pants will tear up your chit. We practiced: Belt, holster and pants manipulations.

2. Donít bring a gun to this sort of class that youíd rather not scratch the chit out of.

3. Really think about your gear set up, mine actually worked pretty well, but could have been a little better:

a. I use TRIJICON HDs, great rear sight for racking the slide on belts, holsters etc. (hard on pants though)
    b. Holster position: a standard 3:00 works drawing weak handed, as long as youíre not one the guys carrying a little extra up front. I had zero issues, for guys with duty belts etc. it's not so easy
    c. AR mags: I wore a minimalist battle belt rig; pistol mags followed by AR mags, which puts the AR mags at about 3:30/4.00 they are a PITA to reload when shooting the carbine strong hand only. I actually had a harder time getting an AR mag with my strong hand, than I did drawing my pistol with my weak hand. Something that would have been blatantly obvious had I tried it beforehand. A chest rig would have made this a whole lot easier for both strong and weak hand reloads. A better belt position would be farther to the rear, and use the right hand to retrieve.

4. Weak hand Carbine mags drops are also a PITA and need to be rehearsed. The mag release is on the right, left hand has to come over or under gun to get to it, go under and you can (I did) keep the mag from dropping free.

5. IF a full mag is a PITA seating in your rifle with 2 hands, it WILL NOT get easier when using one hand while pinning the carbine on a solid object using your shoulder and steadying it with your chin. Whatever energy you expend seating the mag is then transferred to the aforementioned chin.

6. Loose clothing gets stuck in everything, itís worse getting it out one-handed.

7. Putting a tourniquet on yourself one-handed is also something that should be practiced a few times if possible before going ďliveĒ.

8. Sorry, but if your a heavy guy and injured near me, you're getting dragged somewhere safe, just getting too old to do 1 or 2 man lifts.

Stuff that worked well:

HK P30L ambi mag and slide release, zero issues, no changing grip.
    HD Sights (any sight with a sharp front edge) for racking and clearing
    Radian "Raptor" ambi charging handle

As usual the Coffeyville PDs guys were great to shoot with and their classroom facilities are top notch. As an aside the organization I work for published a new "Tactical Combat Casualty Care Handbook" that's public releasable last year that contained quite a bit of the material from the class.
    The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........
Working...
X