Female specific training.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female specific training.

This got lost in another thread buried under a 55 gallon drum of poo.

Pros/cons of ladies only classes? After my wife took her first class she commented how nice it was to not have all the gun store commandos lurking around. She didnít feel self conscious and came away wanting more classes.
    Originally posted by kscardsfan
    Grain of salt hell, I'm taking it with a salt block from the feed store. Thats a big bunch of crap there.

QUOTE=mjkeat;n1101496]****ing stupid.[/QUOTE]

I think one of the challenges for any class is the varied skill levels of the students, regardless of gender. I have no doubt that a female specific class would make the member's more comfortable, so I only see it as a good thing, especially if it gets folks into the class that wouldn't normally participate.

There's a local instructor here (male) that from what I'm told by one of his AIs does a pretty good job. The class is long at about 8 weeks, one night a week, but consists of classroom and range time. In addition at the end they get their CCW instruction certificate. To top it off, it's pretty reasonable at about $100.
    Last edited by Chuck R.; 07-10-2018, 23:21.
    The Lion Does Not Turn Around When the Small Dog Barks

Which is a nice way of saying I don't interact with Azzclowns..........

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post
      I think one of the challenges for any class is the varied skill levels of the students, regardless of gender. I have no doubt that a female specific class would make the member's more comfortable, so I only see it as a good thing, especially if it gets folks into the class that wouldn't normally participate.
      Agreed

Learn the mechanics in a comfortable environment

If we are talking marksmanship training only than be as comfortable as possible

But if we are talking self defense, women as well as men need to get to an uncomfortable place as soon as possible

Fighting is an uncomfortable thing

Defending yourself against a monster is ugly

Fighting, any kind of fighting, is more mental than physical

We can't count on a nice clean one and done self defense fight, it would be great if could but we can't

We can be the best shot or have the hardest punch but if we fall apart when things get ugly those things don't matter

Mental toughness

If a person, man or woman, is so uncomfortable they can only perform in a sterile secure environment but believe they are going to flip a switch when their life is at stake, that's a fantasy

"I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck R. View Post

There's a local instructor here (male) that from what I'm told by one of his AIs does a pretty good job. The class is long at about 8 weeks, one night a week, but consists of classroom and range time. In addition at the end they get their CCW instruction certificate. To top it off, it's pretty reasonable at about $100.
        Where are you?
        I think my wife would benefit from instruction from someone/anyone that isn't me.
        NRA Life Member
        Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post

Where are you?
          I think my wife would benefit from instruction from someone/anyone that isn't me.
          Leavenworth.....PM me with some contact info and I'll put you in touch with the instructor.

Comment

I've done some ladies-only CCH classes, and a couple LO Basic Manipulation classes. Women tend to take instruction better, usually, than smelly old mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging men; seems they don't have anything to prove or something. Have had varying experience levels, from gals who have handled guns all their lives to 'I just bought this one yesterday, is it a good one?'

First class like this was a bunch of nurses from a local hospital. I have a photo of a contact wound to an arm for illustration; the usual response when it comes out are various levels of 'Oh yuck!' When these gals saw it, they started talking about what muscles and nerves could be repaired, and a discussion of how much use the guy could get back, and such. That was a fun group. Ace2
            Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Chuck, we are in El Dorado. I know she wouldn't commit to 8 trips to Leavenworth.
              NRA Life Member
              Rest in Peace, Joseph Wilcox

Comment

Originally posted by Bat Rastard View Post
                Chuck, we are in El Dorado. I know she wouldn't commit to 8 trips to Leavenworth.
                Understand completely, I drive through there a couple times a year on my way to chase roosters...it's a haul.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

Agreed

Learn the mechanics in a comfortable environment

If we are talking marksmanship training only than be as comfortable as possible

But if we are talking self defense, women as well as men need to get to an uncomfortable place as soon as possible

Fighting is an uncomfortable thing

Defending yourself against a monster is ugly

Fighting, any kind of fighting, is more mental than physical

We can't count on a nice clean one and done self defense fight, it would be great if could but we can't

We can be the best shot or have the hardest punch but if we fall apart when things get ugly those things don't matter

Mental toughness

If a person, man or woman, is so uncomfortable they can only perform in a sterile secure environment but believe they are going to flip a switch when their life is at stake, that's a fantasy
                  The difference between the marksmanship minded and the fight oriented.

---

To touch on differing levels of competency between shooters. It shouldn't be an issue between students. If one student is holding the others back significantly it's likely due to poor instruction and/or planning not the student. If it's an issue of gross safety violations maybe the student needs to be taken off the line and spoken to.

Have more than one instructor, keep class size small, teach more efficient techniques, etc.

Remember the critical skills are generally intuitive.
                  Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

My Wife is very interested in taking co-courses with me. Group focus on couples training are tough to come by.
                    I think it would be a great way to learn to work together as a team under duress.
                    Last edited by fixxer; 07-12-2018, 22:29.
                    For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
                    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
                    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
                    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
                    -Lord Byron (=5 lines)

Comment

Guys,

Heard back from the instructor that teaches this class. Preliminary info:

WHO: LADIES interested in learning the techniques of using a handgun in a defensive situation.
                      WHAT: NRA Defensive Pistol Course.
                      COST: Approx. $75.00 (NRA Course materials, literature and supplies)
                      WHERE: Mill Creek Rifle Club, 7215 Gardner Rd, De Soto, KS.
                      WHEN: Begins on Tuesday, August 28, 2018, and meets weekly for ten (10) consecutive Tuesday evenings. (Last meeting on October 30, 2018)
                      TIME: 6:00pm to 9:00pm, on Tuesday evenings.

If your significant other is interested, PM me and I'll send you the flyer along with the instructors contact info.

Comment

NRA defensive handgun course, lol.

Comment

Does a female hold a gun different? Is a female's natural reaction to a sudden and surprising assault differ from that of a males? Does a female skeletal and muscular system function differently than a males? Do they process information differently? I'm curious as to what differences there are that would require different or specific training for females.

Comment

I don't think it's a physical thing, it's more psychological

Women, on average, tend to lack confidence in a martial environment

While there is some merit to immediately throwing a person into the deep end of pool the fact is some people don't make it out of the deep end and they sink

In a non LEO/Military world we can take the time to get everyone (who truly want's to) up to speed, it will take longer with some than with others

My opinion

The tentative student's confidence should be built up before the necessary process of tearing down the students confidence begins and if that means they intially go to an environment that is psychologically less taxing then that is what they should do

That said, it should be made clear to the tentative student that a friendly environment is only a beginning, a first step, and training ONLY in a friendly enviroment is far more likely to be detrimental than helpful

To become your best at anything, martial or otherwise, requires ongoing education, one class and done, NYET
                            "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

So...students should be insulted and abused? When they're ready, of course? Ace2
                              Sometimes the term 'Idiot' is a description and not an insult.

Comment

Working...
                              X