X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Officer justifiably shoots good guy. Aurora, Colorado"

Rob Pincus
    Published on Dec 4, 2018

The title of this video is hard to read. It represents tragedy that left one man dead, a Family mourning him as the lost hero he was, an agency and profession wracked by the aftermath and negative internal & external judgement and a community & country asking a lot of questions. This even happened in July of 2018 in Aurora, Colorado. In December, the police department released body camera footage, included herein, that shows without any room for doubt that the shooting was tragically justified. On this evening, a man forced his way into a home and was attacking Richard Black’s Grandson. Mr. Black, a Vietnam War Veteran, retrieved a defensive firearm and shot the attacker as the police were arriving at his home in response to calls for help. After saving his grandson, Mr. Black moved to the front of his home with his gun and flashlight in hand and failed to comply with the officer’s instructions. His actions were consistent with a threat to the officers, who had just heard two shots fired shortly before he appeared in the doorway. In this video, Rob Pincus breaks down the pertinent learning points for armed citizens and police officers. Interacting with law enforcement while armed is a serious issue that “good guys with guns” need to address in their training and planning. Officers must also train for dealing with the 30+ Million people who can legal carry a concealed weapon for defense and the millions more who have guns staged in their homes and workplaces. Thanks to the Aurora PD for making these videos available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSn-_wDavQ
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Good decision making is important. Education is the key.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Short of putting a sign on the house that says the occupant has hearing problems (or any disability) is there a way for first responders to be made aware of the problem

I can understand Mr Black's reticence in disarming given the type of invasion he had no way of knowing who else might be coming through the door

He was a person who has just had the front door to his home torn down, seen a family member attacked, compelled to use deadly force inside a lighted room then seeing figures out in the dark wearing dark clothing

It would be tough to shut all that down

Dunno, just a big old crap sandwich
      Last edited by ricco; 12-06-2018, 01:37.
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post
        Good decision making is important. Education is the key.
        For LEO's as well as CCW's

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

For LEO's as well as CCW's
          Absolutely. As citizens we have an obligation to responding officers to help make their job easier and officers have an obligation to those they're attempting to help to not male the situation more dangerous. It takes both parties.

Comment

Another instance where a terrible, yet justified tragedy is possible is with people whose hearing is badly impaired, such as me. They may not comply with police commands to drop their gun because they cannot hear them. About the only prevention I can think of is to holster the pistol (in my case, revolver) as soon as possible after its' use.
            Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
            The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
              Another instance where a terrible, yet justified tragedy is possible is with people whose hearing is badly impaired, such as me. They may not comply with police commands to drop their gun because they cannot hear them. About the only prevention I can think of is to holster the pistol (in my case, revolver) as soon as possible after its' use.
              How important is audio when their body language is unmistakable?

Comment

Working...
              X