Obvious

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obvious

The ridiculousness should be obvious to us all. What do these people think these techniques are going to accomplish?

This is an obvious issue of creating a false sense of security. Easy to spot for all of us. What happens when it's not so obvious?

https://www.facebook.com/49385642739...2081882905412/
    Last edited by mjkeat; 01-02-2019, 09:13.
    Failure is an opportunity to learn.

There will always be people who are looking for self defense "tricks"

They usually fall into the category of, "I wanna learn to protect myself but don't want to sweat"

"Just push here and your opponent will fall down", yeah, well, it don't work that way

From personal experience, I've done lot's of demo's, I can make almost anything work against a partner who isn't fighting back

It's easy to laugh at empty hand martial arts but the gun community is no different

Any competent marksman can do a demo and look impressive when using a piece of cardboard

The very same gun guys that will laugh at the this video will ohh and ahh at a person shooting a plate rack

And never make the connection
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
      There will always be people who are looking for self defense "tricks"

They usually fall into the category of, "I wanna learn to protect myself but don't want to sweat"

"Just push here and your opponent will fall down", yeah, well, it don't work that way

From personal experience, I've done lot's of demo's, I can make almost anything work against a partner who isn't fighting back

It's easy to laugh at empty hand martial arts but the gun community is no different

Any competent marksman can do a demo and look impressive when using a piece of cardboard

The very same gun guys that will laugh at the this video will ohh and ahh at a person shooting a plate rack

And never make the connection
      You're correct, this is no different than what goes on in the #pewpew world. That's the point I was trying to get across. Unfortunately members here, including myself, fall/ have fallen for this sort of false preparation in gun training. I used this example because it's easy to spot. Sometimes even the most ridiculous gun stuff slides by undetected.

I've posted about the less obvious being the most dangerous because it tends to fool than most people.

Here's an example:

https://youtu.be/sGH4a0xTV9M

How many people on this very site have done such things, with similar equipment, using similar techniques and thought they were improving their ability to defend themselves? I'm betting a good number have.

Comment

where does some one start to be proficient in self defense techniques?
        PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
          A lot depends on the person, the better the persons physical condition the more that person will be able to do

All doors are open for a young person in good physical condition with no disabilities

The choices become fewer as we age and our physical abilities decline
          "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Who cares about proficiency. That's like asking, how does one become ok or just good enough. Its also not something we can base judged on a comparison of one person to another.

Efficiency, being as efficient as you can be, should be our goal. It has a little to do with ewhere we start and a lot to do with how hard we push ourselves and the guidance we receive along the way. If we're not being taught techniques useful in the context of self defense it doesn't matter how hard we work at developing them.

Comment

Originally posted by deerhunter View Post
              I should have asked, what will your body let you do NOW and what type of training is regularly available to you

Comment

I should have asked, what will your body let you do NOW and what type of training is regularly available to you
                I'm with you on the first part. As far as the type of training that is regularly available to us... Does that matter? Training is not all created equally. If we train in the wrong methodology and techniques it doesn't it actually become worse than if we had no training at all. In our areas it's most likely we'll have to put forth some effort to get to appropriate training. I have 3 or more places all within 30 minutes of the house but all worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

I'm with you on the first part. As far as the type of training that is regularly available to us... Does that matter? Training is not all created equally. If we train in the wrong methodology and techniques it doesn't it actually become worse than if we had no training at all. In our areas it's most likely we'll have to put forth some effort to get to appropriate training. I have 3 or more places all within 30 minutes of the house but all worthless.

And that is why I ask what training was available

We also have to take the person into consideration, if the person has been leading a sedentary lifestyle regardless of the curriculum spending 3-6 months going to class and just moving around is a positive thing

We also have to consider the persons abilities and disabilities, if the person has had both knees replaced an MMA gym won't be of much help even though it might be the best way to train

Comment

And that is why I ask what training was available

We also have to take the person into consideration, if the person has been leading a sedentary lifestyle regardless of the curriculum spending 3-6 months going to class and just moving around is a positive thing

We also have to consider the persons abilities and disabilities, if the person has had both knees replaced an MMA gym won't be of much help even though it might be the best way to train
                    would training in an MMA gym or Judo lead to later knee replacements?
                    PLAY THE TRUMP CARD IN 2016!!!

Comment

Injuries are a possibility in all athletics

Very few fighters are 100% on fight night, typically it is knees, shoulders and elbows

Unless the injury keeps the fighter from training most will wait until after the fight to have the the injury repaired

So here comes a disjointed ramble

Some people believe that MMA type training is the best training for empty hand fighting, self defense or otherwise, maybe yes, maybe no

Schools, dojo's, kwoons, dojangs and gyms are as varied as the people who run them, there are literally thousands of styles of martial arts and unless a schools is part of an association there is no governing authority and even then..............

Anyone, you, me, anyone can rent a space and begin teaching martial arts whether we have the knowledge and skill or not

As an aside this is true with armed self defense as well

So buyer beware

If a person with a pre-existing joint replacement attempts MMA training it will likely be something that person cannot do

Sparring is a big part of MMA and joint issues make sparring difficult and dangerous

Unfortunately with age comes health problems, hypertension. arthritis, muscle loss, etc, all of these things keep seniors from practicing self defense

Also unfortunately there some (not all) who will prey on seniors with classes that teach self defense "tricks","Just push here and the BG will fall down"

There are no easy answers

I will say this, as much as I believe there is no replacement for hands on martial instruction with compliant and resisting training partners I know full well most people, seniors in particular will never set foot on a mat so I will offer an alternative and it pains me to do so, get a kettlebell and a tutorial, a heavy bag, light gloves and a boxing tutorial and train

Comment

Injuries are a possibility in all athletics

Very few fighters are 100% on fight night, typically it is knees, shoulders and elbows

Unless the injury keeps the fighter from training most will wait until after the fight to have the the injury repaired

So here comes a disjointed ramble

Some people believe that MMA type training is the best training for empty hand fighting, self defense or otherwise, maybe yes, maybe no

Schools, dojo's, kwoons, dojangs and gyms are as varied as the people who run them, there are literally thousands of styles of martial arts and unless a schools is part of an association there is no governing authority and even then..............

Anyone, you, me, anyone can rent a space and begin teaching martial arts whether we have the knowledge and skill or not

As an aside this is true with armed self defense as well

So buyer beware

If a person with a pre-existing joint replacement attempts MMA training it will likely be something that person cannot do

Sparring is a big part of MMA and joint issues make sparring difficult and dangerous

Unfortunately with age comes health problems, hypertension. arthritis, muscle loss, etc, all of these things keep seniors from practicing self defense

Also unfortunately there some (not all) who will prey on seniors with classes that teach self defense "tricks","Just push here and the BG will fall down"

There are no easy answers

I will say this, as much as I believe there is no replacement for hands on martial instruction with compliant and resisting training partners I know full well most people, seniors in particular will never set foot on a mat so I will offer an alternative and it pains me to do so, get a kettlebell and a tutorial, a heavy bag, light gloves and a boxing tutorial and train

I've started this. Through the years, like most people, I've picked up nagging pain here and there; elbows, knees, back, feet, and shoulders. A good bed helps a lot. The Ibuprofen

You're more inline with this than I am. I will offer a suggestion. Hands on as you said is the best way in which to develope grappling skills.

Find an instructor and partner you can trust. When learning there's no need to go hard enough that injury is probable. It simply does not create a good learning environment. Go slow, 30% or whatever. Plus if were not allowed to rely on strength we are forced to be more precise with when applying the skill.

Comment

Working...
                        X