Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skill Development- When Are You Good Enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skill Development- When Are You Good Enough?

Handgun Combatives

50 mins

I see many people "talk or type of good game" but know they have no real proficiency. I have also seen many people go from training course to training course without ever taking the time to anchor any skills. At some point, you have to stop being instructed to and master the skills taught! Keep in mind, there are not enough repititions in any common training course ( 2days to a week) to truly master and anchor skill(s). You are just introduced to them and are expected to go home and PRACTICE same!

I have actually seen students who have been to so many training courses/instructors that they become confused and don't know what they know! Weird, but true...

Greg makes some great points here. At some point, you have to say enough and start practicing so when skill(s) are needed you can use them...that 80% he talks about. You can't continually change your mind due to the words of a different instructor.

Oh yeah...quit trying to compare your skills to the master shooters...they are GIFTED! Unless you are gifted, you will never be as good as they are. You just need to be better prepared than the person attacking you...

https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...9Owl9sZa19Jq5M

My opinion

It's pretty easy to get lost in all this

One instructor says one thing and another instructor says something else and all can make good arguments for what they teach

We couple that with his credentials, he was a SWAT/SEAL so he must know what's best

Our ego's also play a role, we like to say we were trained by a SWAT/SEAL because his credibility gives us a degree of credibility

Let's take what we are taught on the one way range out to the dimly lighted parking lot

mjkeat likes to use the word "context"

con·text
    /ˈkäntekst/
    noun
    1. the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.
    The question becomes, do the skills acquired on the one way range apply to the dimly lighted parking lot

Be honest, did you learn how to shoot or how not to get shot

In a reactive self defense scenario the skills needed to survive an attack in that dimly lighted parking lot will never win you marksmanship trophy

Last edited by ricco; 01-02-2019, 15:11.
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Pretty much agree with you, ricco. My view is that we are never good enough.

On a somewhat related subject, are there any local people that, in your view, good at teaching handgun combatives?
    Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
    The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Originally posted by gerhard1 View Post
      Pretty much agree with you, ricco. My view is that we are never good enough.

On a somewhat related subject, are there any local people that, in your view, good at teaching handgun combatives?
      I have only trained with one local person, Brian Holmes

Brian is the Head Instructor at Frontier Justice

I highly recommend him
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Comment

Training is learning. We go to class to learn the skills we will later develope on pur own time during practice.

Chasing fads and bouncing from instructor to instructor, curriculum to curriculum is counter productive. I know some like to do it, another tool for the toolbox, take what I can use from each instructor but that just doesn't make for the best end product. Not only does it have to do with skill development it has a lot to do with being able to apply those skills in an actual fight.

Credentials, background, etc. really don't mean anything as far as credibility, knowledge, and ability to educate others in self defense. Look here, a lot of former this or thats posting comments and recommendations that aren't really all that good. Some can be downright dangerous.

Context is important.

Why people focus on the shooting part I'll never understand. Self defense with a gun has little to do with one's ability to shoot.
        Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

I have only trained with one local person, Brian Holmes

Brian is the Head Instructor at Frontier Justice

I highly recommend him
          Thank you ricco. That was helpful. I'll look into him.
          Taceant colloquia. Effugiat risus. Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae.
          The Pale Horse available on Amazon for your digital reader.

Comment

Working...
          X