Do Not Mistake Enthusiasm for Training for Motivation to Train

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Not Mistake Enthusiasm for Training for Motivation to Train

".... they would be well served simply practicing the things that they learned in a Combat Focus® Shooting class for the rest of their lives and spending their limited training resources in classes covering other topics such as emergency medicine, unarmed combatants, home and family defense or the aftermath of a defensive gun use. Worse, far too many people who start out sincerely interested in learning defensive skills end up on a path that takes them into what I call “Fantasy Camp” courses,...."

https://winchester.com/Blog/2017/11/...NEMzCdpVuvWS08

My opinion

In the beginning of our study we have to look at various methodologies

To take anyone's word that this or that method is the best and you need look no further is wrong headed thinking

Most important is that we have an understanding of why we are training

For me it is Reactive Self Defense, I will ALWAYS start from behind the curve

Because I will always start from such a precarious position I continue looking for a better way

Because scenarios in which I will respond are so narrow most things I see have no application

When I do see something that I think might help, I learn it, I practice it and then it is vetted FOF

If it is better than what I was doing previously I keep it and discard what I was doing

In actuality it should be about decrease and not increase

As an example

I follow the methodology of moving on diagonals and shooting while moving

When moving on a right forward diagonal after a couple of steps my body began to twist and this caused a problem with not only moving but shooting as well

I found Center Axis Relock, that solved the problem and not only did it solve that problem it is also a much better technique for seated defense

I was able to discard a now useless technique, two birds as they say

While I agree with the premise of the article I also think that when we a have an understanding of what we are doing, looking for improvements can be valuable
    "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

"Skill makes you harder to kill" ~ Unknown

Trust but verify.

I'll drop a methodology like a bad habit as soon as there's evidence proving something is better. Which brings up an important point. How do we choose a methodology. We choose methods and techniques based on supporting evidence.

There's a fine line between chasing fads and seeking better. I'm constantly seeking better. If someone isn't they're wrong. The fine line, the weekend retreat guy that bounces from curriculum to curriculum as a hobbyist. We have one of those on this site. He has much more training than I do but his grasp of the info is weak judging by his posts which is typically the case. You have to develope the skills you learn. If you're bouncing around there isn't time to do so properly.

Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Comment

"Which brings up an important point. How do we choose a methodology."

I think first we have understand why we are training

We hear over and over again, "I'm training to protect myself and my loved ones"

That sounds good but means nothing

We have to decide beforehand the things we will and won't involve ourselves in and then seek the training that best suits those needs
      "I suppose it's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail...." ~Abraham Maslow~

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post
        "Which brings up an important point. How do we choose a methodology."

I think first we have understand why we are training

We hear over and over again, "I'm training to protect myself and my loved ones"

That sounds good but means nothing

We have to decide beforehand the things we will and won't involve ourselves in and then seek the training that best suits those needs
        The question, what we will or won't involve ourselves in is easy for guys like you and I. We're not likely to have a choice in the matter because the only situation I'm involving myself in is the one I have no choice in. It's the scenario that's forced on me. This also happens to be the most likely scenario everyone is likely to be faced with in which lethal force is the most appropriate response. The sudden assault.

That's were evidence comes into play. How do we know what skills we need to learn and then develope? What are we most likely going to be faced with? Well, the evidence shows us all that.

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeat View Post

The question, what we will or won't involve ourselves in is easy for guys like you and I.
          People that haven't decided beforehand what they will involve themselves are, well that's just scary

Too much time pew pewing and not enough time studying

Comment

Originally posted by ricco View Post

People that haven't decided beforehand what they will involve themselves are, well that's just scary

Too much time pew pewing and not enough time studying
            They'll likely be left improvising/guessing which can lead to taking no action in defense of self. Not good.

Comment

I had a free range day at an indoor range so I took advantage today

I worked on C.A.R. starting from position Sul, tried to burn it in
              Last edited by ricco; 01-07-2019, 21:49.

Comment

Working...
              X